RockerGinger profile image 84

Why do you think people are so quick to defend Bible verses, but to openly criticize Qur'an verses?

I am currently in the process of achieving my M.A in Religious studies that will continue into a Ph.D program. My concentration is Christian-Muslim relations, and how I believe there are more similarities between the two faiths than differences. Why do you think people say Bible verses are "taken out of context" when a decent fraction of the Bible exists in the Qur'an, sometimes only with a change of wording? My one stipulation is to not use violence as a reason. More violent acts exist in the Bible than the Qur'an, and perhaps any other mainstream religious text. Thank you for responding!

Kathleen Cochran profile image84

Best Answer Kathleen Cochran says

• RockerGinger profile image

Sarah Jason (RockerGinger) 5 months ago

This is what I hear a lot of. And I'm studying my MA in America, the PhD in the UK, online. I'm finding a transparency there that doesn't exist in the US. People discriminate everywhere, but there's far more tolerance/understanding in Europe, I find.

• RockerGinger profile image

Sarah Jason (RockerGinger) 5 months ago

I don't disagree with you. The middle eastern countries are far more orthodox about their practice.

However, is this not enough to look past our differences? And does Christianity not advocate for violence (I.e. KKK, Westboro Baptists, etc)?

peter565 says

Norine Williams says

• RockerGinger profile image

Sarah Jason (RockerGinger) 5 months ago

I don't speak on something unless I'm well versed. So I expect that of those who get into these conversations. And from reading your answer, it's clear you're part of the problem. I'm a Christian, but what do I care if they don't believe in Jesus?