I find religion to be an interesting topic of study and debate.
It's not "a waste of time" because it entertains me.
It's like going to a movie or playing a board game. Nothing is really being accomplished, but it's still fun to do.
BTW, to say that someone debating the existence of your god makes him real is a ridiculous argument of which the logic is extremely flawed.
If I walk up to a "sports fanatic" and tell him that, "The Bulls never won a Championship," he is going to debate me until the cows come home.
I could then say (using your logic), "Since you're debating it so much then that's PROOF that they never won a Championship."
Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make YOU right. That's just silly to say.
Also, I will sometimes be talking with my fellow "non-believers" (sometimes in these forums and sometimes in the real world), and will - invariably - be attacked by some Christian who's "pissed off" that we would dare to even think of questioning their God.
So - using your logic - these Christians that come and "debate" us are just proving us right. See? Doesn't make any sense does it?
If you don't enjoy debate (which I doubt is the case) or you would like people to stop questioning your beliefs, then simply keep it between you, your family, and your church.
However, if you come to me and tell me that:
1. I have inherited the original sin of Adam and Eve.
2. I require the salvation of the blood sacrifice of Jesus Christ.
3. That there is only ONE God and his name is Yahweh.
4. That your particular brand of "Bronze-age Palestinian" mythology is the ONE TRUE religion.
5. That the earth is 6,000 years old.
6. That the Grand Canyon was created by the Flood of Noah.
7. That there was ever a "world-wide flood" around 4,000 years ago.
8. That the Jews were slaves in Egypt (although ALL evidence suggests otherwise).
9. etc. etc. etc.
Then you better be ready for a debate. Because just like that "sports fanatic" I mentioned earlier I am a "Fact Fanatic," and will ask you to support your claims with VERIFIABLE, EMPIRICAL EVIDENCE. Something NO religious person has ever managed to do.
Anyway, like I said, I enjoy debate.