- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
"Cursed are all those that shall lift up the heel against mine anointed, saith the Lord, and cry they have sinned when they have not sinned before me, saith the Lord, but have done that which was meet in mine eyes, and which I commanded them." D&C 121: 16.
Every year there is a semiannual conference in Salt Lake City where Prophets and Apostles give instruction and guidance to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and every year there are protesters picketing outside the conference hall. These people claim to be sending out a message of love, however for some the message is loud and clear.
Now these people are most likely ineffective due in part to their obnoxious style of "Street preaching" yelling all kinds of false-isms into megaphones, and waving around sacred temple garments in public. (that'll really convert us.) I compare these people to Nazis standing in front of synagogues waving around swastika flags, this is just some of the ugliness of anti Mormonism.
Some people who oppose us are from Ministries which dedicate much time and effort to scrape through the history of the church to find some kind of condemning statement made by a past LDS Prophet or Apostle. almost always the information comes from an obscure source, or uncanonized doctrine or a speculative statement, and present it as official church doctrine. Sometimes I wonder if the members of those congregations know about their own church's doctrine or if they just spend all of their time bashing on Mormons.
The main point is that they never really wish to seek out the truth, even when they are completly wrong about something they still leave it out there as a fact, and they hardly ever apologize for their mistakes. not only this but some attacks on the book of Mormon and the Prophet Joseph Smith actually hold us to a higher standard than the prophets of the Bible.
The fact is, Mormons are true Christians, were just not Protestants. We believe in the same Jesus from the Bible, therefore we believe in the Bible as the word of God as far as it is translated correctly.
So go ahead and debate me if you want, I don't care. Throw everything you've got at me, I've done a lot of studying and I have alot of faith, in God, Christ and all of their prophets, including Joseph Smith, Brigham Young, and all the other Latterday Prophets to whom God has sent to mankind in these last days.
Questions Anti-Mormons can't answer
- How did Joseph know so much about the Arabian Peninsula?
- If the gold plates never existed, how did Joseph get numerous witnesses to stand by their stories until their dying day, even when some of them later became angry with Joseph and left the Church?
- How could Joseph have known about ancient cement technology in the first century B.C. in Mesoamerica?
- Why does ancient Mesoamerican geography AND culture provide a plausible setting for the Book of Mormon?
- How could Joseph Smith make up dozens of names in the Book of Mormon that would later be shown to be authentic ancient Semitic names?
- Where did Joseph Smith get the idea of ancient scriptures written on metal plates?
- How did Joseph Smith know about ancient practices regarding preservations of sacred texts?
- Why do other ancient documents support the Book of Mormon's idea that the ancient Joseph prophesied of Moses and Aaron?
- What other church better follows the Biblical model of emphasizing the bilateral covenant nature of the Gospel?
- If there was no apostasy in the Church of Jesus Christ, then what happened to prophets?
- What other Church better follows the Biblical organization given for the Church?
- If Joseph Smith just made up the idea of vicarious baptism for the dead, why do numerous ancient documents validate the LDS claim that this was an authentic early Christian practice?
- At a time when all Christian churches taught that temples were no longer needed, how did Joseph so effectively restore the ancient temple concept on his own?
- What other church better corresponds with early Christianity in terms of teaching the true relationship between faith, grace, and works?
- Why do the earliest Christian writings sound much closer to LDS theology than they to modern "mainstream" Christianity?
- If the modern concept of the Trinity is true, then why does the different LDS view on the oneness of God find such strong support in the writings of the earliest Christians?
- If it's unchristian, unbiblical, and evil to believe that humans have divine potential, why do many Biblical and early Christian sources speak of the humans becoming "gods"?
- If the Bible is infallible, by whose authority were the various books of the Bible selected in an infallible manner? By whose authority were the infallible translations made and approved?
- Who authorized the changes in the ritual of baptism that occurred since the New Testament Church? And who in your church has true authority from God to perform baptisms?
- If the Book of Abraham is a fraud, then how do you account for the details in the text that would later be given extensive support by numerous ancient documents that were not available to Joseph Smith?