- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Christian Baptism: Christening Gifts For Boys
Baby in Christening Clothes
What is Baptism?
Baptism is a rite of religious purification and consecration to be one with Christ. It signifies cleansing from original sin and a profession of faith. In the New Testament, John the Baptist baptized believers who accepts the news of the coming Messiah (John 1`:33). The baptism by water represents the forgiveness of sin through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Need for Baptism by Water
- Baptism by water signifies belief in the Holy Trinity – God the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28.19 NIV);
- Baptism by water reiterates the belief on the death, burial, and resurrection of Christ. (Colossians 2:11-12 NLT);
- Baptism by water is a public ceremony, where the faithful stands witness to the oneness in Christ by another convert.
Most Christian denominations practice infant baptism where parents and godparents bring the child to a baptismal ceremony for the rite of affusion (baptism by water) or through aspersion (sprinkling of water). In this ceremony, most parents choose to dress the infant to be baptized in a christening gown that has been used by the family for several generations. Traditional gowns are made of lace and trimming and are worn by both girls and boys.
What Gifts Are Expected from a Godparent During Baptism?
Godparents may be either male, female or both. They must be bonafide members of the faith and well connected to the family to be able to exercise the responsibilities that are bestowed on them as godparents. They, together with the parents answer the questions on behalf of the infant that is being baptized.
Godparents may be asked to perform ritual functions during the ceremony, such as holding the child, praying, and to make promises for the child's religious growth. After the ceremony, the role of the Godparents is to guide and look after the child's religious growth.
Being a godparent is a huge honor for most people, and it is important to get the right gift to commemorate the event. There are plenty of traditional gifts to choose from. It is best to offer a gift that would serve as a great memento of the occasion, without need to spend a great fortune for it.
Christening Gifts For Boys
- Bible - a christening is a religious ceremony and what a fitting gift to give for such an occasion than a bible. A bible story with different stories for children may be given so it can be read to the child later on. The bible may have a decorative silver cross at the front to make it more of a traditional gift of silver during religious ceremonies. This gift of silver can be a most treasured keepsake that could be handed down from generations to the next.
- Silver Trinkets - a gift of silver is the traditional gift for christening. This comes in a variety of items that would include: money boxes, jewelry items, cross necklace, Swarovski baby boots, and good luck charms. Other variations include: silver cups and saucers, silver spoons, baby rattles, cutlery set, and photo frames in shining metallic silver.
- Wooden Toys - traditional christening gifts for boys would include wooden toys that he can play. These can be in the form of wooden toy dinosaurs, animals and cartoon characters that the small boy can identify with. Gifts that are made of wood are expected to last longer and be more durable. These toys help enhance the child's imagination with creative play.
- Books - a book can be a wonderful gift that can last a lifetime. This may include a classic children's book or a bible story that can be read to the child when he is old enough to understand. These books may last several generations, so it is advisable for the giver to write a token note with the date on it to serve as a remembrance of the christening date.
- Pewter - is a great gift idea, since it does not tarnish. Though not made of silver, a gift of pewter - like good luck tokens, have the symbolism that makes eligible it as one great gift for boys. Other pewter ideas would be in the form of: a pewter child's mug, a tooth box, pewter clock and chimes, money box, and racing car trinkets.
Why We Baptize?
One of the most important aspects of raising a Christian child is christening. It is the means of strengthening the faith, and a great way for the family to get together and celebrate the occasion. A tea reception normally follows after the service. As godparents or guests, christening gifts are normally given as a keepsake of the occasion that will be treasured for years to come. These gifts do not have to be expensive to be appreciated. It will just have to be well-thought of, with a personal card attached to it to express one's heartfelt message of welcome to the little boy's entry into the Christian world. The gift serves as a token of the occasion that the parents would keep in their memory box, and to savor it again at some future time.