- Religion and Philosophy»
- The Role of Religion in History & Society
It’s all about fear dear!
Every person is born with the essential component that is called fear! Fear plays important role in shaping human psychology. Many psychological problems are an outcome of innate fear for something or other. Most of human actions are directed towards mitigating fear. Human thought process is controlled by the fear.
Still no one likes to admit he is afraid of something…likes to boast to be fearless. But is it so?
Our ancient forefathers, primitive people too were afraid. Primitive man was afraid of forest fire, thunderstorms, wild animals, suddenly erupting volcanoes, uncertainty of life and what not…riddles of birth too was a cause of immense fear as he was ignorant about cause of birth as well.
Because he was afraid of death, so we too are!
Suddenly and inevitably meeting death was not good idea! Natural wrath plucking away life from living beings couldn't stop him fearing of calamities those couldn't be pre-conceived. Death always has haunted human life since human stepped on this earth.
In fact fear of death has occupied most of the part of our conscious or subconscious mind.
These were naturally primitive fears. Too dark, dense and deep like unfathomable crevasse.
But a great thing about fear is it made human being too innovative!
If we look all the creations in the human civilization they all are output of fear!
Let’s see how?:
1. Man created God, (Goddesses) a supernatural power that was creator of the world and ruler of the human life. Praying him could reduce his labor for life.
2. At other hand he also created demons, representing the evils in the nature those were enemy of his life.
3. He created early myths of creation of life, birth of Gods and demons those till date surprises us with its natural force and ultimate imagination.
4. He created religion! No matter how rudimentary it seems today…but to create his social order so that there wouldn’t be any harm to the society from within. Hence he created early ethics those still we are following! Do not steal…do not kill etc.
5. He developed artificial stone weapons, shelters; early invention of mankind was to enable him to replace what was not naturally gifted to him to survive.
6. In the course of the time human invented agriculture, animal farming, and grew in numbers, fear of aggressors forced him to build city states or kingdoms to protect. The first political system was an outcome of fear and to make others fear!
7. He later on invented immortality, first gracing it to his God’s and Goddesses, hoping he too could attain immortality if Gods were rightly pleased. Numerous rituals and philosophies were invented to give a hope that curse of death…fear of death have answers…
8. All early literature that is preserved till today is of religious kind. Veda’s are compositions of numerous prayers to please their Gods. Epics, no matter whether Greek or Indian, talk about sole divinity and its ultimate rule over human destiny. Ways adopted to describe this may be different, but divine hand appears everywhere as a rule.
9. Even though human society progressed through the time, basic fear didn't change. In fact fear got new dimensions as human society became more complex. More and more laws were formulated to regulate society within the State to make feel all citizens safe and so fearless. Kingdoms turned to empires and empires turned to ashes, but still everlasting quest to defeat fear wouldn’t stop.
10. Fear, in other way around, made human insatiably greedy, of power and of wealth. To secure future everyone became a participant in an unending race that had no goal!
11. Fear caused all the inventions, as mentioned earlier. If we look at the human history, we will find most of the inventions were intended for mass destructions.
12. This way, the man who was afraid of destruction, became an inventor of means that could destruct others.
13. This sounds strange, but true, because human being started competing God that was solely created by him! To attain longevity to immortality, to create lives the way he wanted to, to decide origin and future of the universe he invested his most creativity to become God.
14. It was but natural as it was human being that had invented God! The man who invents God, he would attempt for certain to become God!
15. All our modern or past literature is nothing but a creation of terrified minds to mitigate the terror!
16. Thus at one hand fear that had possessed mankind took another turn; make others fear!
17. All terrorism, no matter whether religious, nation-sponsored or caste-sect sponsored is to make others fear out of their fear that if they cannot make others fear they would be thrown in an abyss of eternal fear!
18. Fear for fear is working in modern world even today because each one is feared in the cores of his mind!
Thus, we can stretch this to any length, but to say a least, fear has governed life of mankind from time immemorial.
May be our future will be shrouded by the fear forcing to make us God writing destiny of others. In any way around, fear is going to govern our lives! No philosophy can help us because all philosophies are an outcome of the fear!
Fear is an original reason of our all creativity…
And same time an ultimate cause of our destructive mindset!