My Experience with Candle Magic (Magick)
Update: This article was written years ago, and has since been updated with new insight. I am no longer new to candle magick, but to rewrite the entire article would feel wrong to me in this case. Be aware though, this information is fresh, and it presents logical guidelines by which to conduct your spells.
A few months ago I went for my second reading with a local psychic. She was quite talented and I had learnt a lot from her in the previous session, so I was open to what she had to say. She told me that it would benefit me to learn to conduct candle magic...
One thing that the psychic said to me was that in multiple past lives I was a Pagan. By the way, she is not Pagan and has no interest of her own in it, nor does she sell Pagan supplies. I could see that she wasn't coming at me with selfish interests. She also told me that I was an alchemist; and that in my Pagan and alchemy lives, I had been primarily focused on working with herbs.
I found what the psychic said about multiple past lives as a Pagan hard to digest. For this reason, later on I asked an acquaintance friend of mine with psychic skills if it were true. She saw the same thing; she saw previous lifetimes in both Paganism and alchemy. I could digest it better then, as that particular friend had proven in times past to have dependable psychic skills.
Anyway, back to the commentary about my visit to the psychic. She said that I'd feel more comfortable in this lifetime if I created more connections with my past life interests. She suggested I work on candle magic, as it is a simple art that I had worked with before. I had never heard of it, but it sounded like fun. She gave me some basic pointers. I didn't ask her to elaborate in detail, as anything I'd need to know could easily be found online.
I did some research. There were great differences of opinion on the significance of various candle color properties; so I had to discern for myself what was best. Even though new to candle magic, I read Tarot cards and work with crystals; so I know the properties of all colors. That said, if a color feels that it has different attributes for you than what I have suggested below, then go with your instincts and work with what they tell you.
The Significance of Certain Candle Colors as Applied to Candle Magic
Keep in mind that different colors can be used together to create a stronger spell. Make sure you use colors that logically enhance each other within your purpose.
- White - Can be used for all types of spells, and can be used as a substitute for any other color of candle. Denotes purity, truth and honesty. It is a suitable color to use for protection and for space clearing spells.
- Black - Negates and removes. Use it to remove negative energies from your space, to remove curses and hexes; and to block psychic invasion. It may be used for breaking habits as well as for removal spells of any kind.
- Pink - Denotes gentle love, peace, friendship and kindness. This is an ideal energy by which to develop a romantic relationship; and may also be used in creating a solid friendship bond.
- Purple - Promotes wisdom, is suitable for spiritual purposes, removes stress. It is a suitable color to use for career related spells, and to enhance meditations.
- Light blue - Aids in matters of communication, peace, and truth.
- Dark blue - Use this to address issues with depression and insomnia, and for weight loss.
- Green - Ideal for healing, money, and overall affluence spells.
- Turquoise - The qualities of green and blue combined. Also, it's the color of success.
- Red - Passion, sex, speed, love and courage. To be used cautiously, as it is a powerful energy that can easily be overused. An example would be that a passionate love is prone to speed and initial lust; and is not without some degree of volatility. Thus such a furious love is likely to burn itself out fast. It's likely best to stay with pink to develop something long term as far as romance is concerned. Be aware though, only use red if you are sure that a large degree of power is necessary no matter what the purpose of your spell is.
- Orange or copper - Creates a magnetism, draws power, strength, and energy. Works well to strengthen other colors, especially to draw things to you.
- Yellow - Supports concentration and intellectual processes, intuition, and imagination. Perfect to develop the mindset for studying and to open the mind to higher learning.
- Golden - The color of personal power. Promotes connection with divinity, draws money, improves luck; also draws beneficial universal energies. Most suitable to connecting with male divinities and entities. Embodies the properties of yellow and orange, but at a higher frequency.
- Silver - The color of victory. Removes confusion and negativity; provides a stable energy, and supports focused clarity. Perfect for times of study and learning. May be used to create an environment suitable for connecting with spirit. Most suitable to connecting with female divinities and entities.
- Brown - For pet and Earth related issues, court cases, fair justice; and for special requests of Universal Higher Power.
How to Conduct Candle Magic
- Use a candle with coloring that suits the purpose of your spell.
- Carving or engraving. Strength is given to spells by carving the intent, in a few words, into the candle prior to beginning your session.
- Bless the candle. There are many ways to bless objects, it's easily done by intent alone. What I do is covered (by someone else) in a video on this matter, towards page bottom.
- Anointing with oils.This is a thing that some people do and some don't, it's entirely up to you. Use fragrance oils or herbal oils, or whichever oil you feel a desire to use to enhance your spell. This step is to add a special aspect of self to the spell for those that choose to do so. Some say that when you anoint, if it's a drawing spell, rub the oil on the candle in a sweeping motion from tip to base, if it's to send something away, then apply it from base to tip. Others say that the approach that resonates with you is the best. Do what you feel you need to do.
- Salt protection. Before performing candle magic, sprinkle salt, preferably sea salt in a counterclockwise circle around your candle(s). While doing so, hold the intent of clearing and protecting the space you are working in; speak it out loud if you prefer.
- Smudging. Can be used as an alternate method of both candle blessing and space clearing. It's still recommended that you use protection though.
- Candle magic can be done with or without without written or verbalized spells. If you see written spells that appeal to you, by all means use them. You don't need to use specific spells to conduct candle magic successfully, but do whatever it takes to give the art your own properties and ambiance.
- It's of utmost importance to hold the intent of your spell. Speak it aloud or inside of your head, and keep focus on it for as long as you're able to. Also, it's recommended to state the manner in which you intend for the candle spell to work. An example would be - if you are doing a money drawing spell, don't just ask for or imagine money coming to you; instead ask universal energies for you to have money drawn to you consistently. Ask for and visualize plenty of money coming to you in a number of different ways, and from multiple sources as well. This will add far greater strength to your spell. You should also visualize the color of the candle(s) you use.
- State an intent that you wish the spell to be done by that which is good, right, divine or whatever you wish that is positive in nature. The video below demonstrating a banishing ritual is a great example of how to state a positive intent.
- Light the candle and keep your attention on it until it is totally burnt, or is burnt to the point where the flame goes out. An alternate procedure is to have your intent written on a piece of paper, and either tuck it under the candle prior to lighting it, or burn it in the flame.
- Use a fresh candle each time, don't use ones that have been used for anything else.
- You can buy white candles and color them with markers to save money on supplies.
- Don't do dark magic spells. I obviously can't tell you what to do, but it's going to work against you. I dis-recommend anyone to do spells that cause harm to another or send curses or hexes back to someone. Karma is going to come and bite you on the butt if you do.
- And by the way... the very first spell I did shattered the vintage glass candle holder I had purchased. It was well used and had survived from the sixties, yet the very first spell it was used for - it shattered! Apparently this happens when you burn a candle all the way down. I switched to a brass candle holder, no more glass or ceramic ones for me.
There are many other ways to conduct candle magic successfully, but this covers the basics of what you need to know to get started.
That's it for now;
Enjoy your candle magic spells!