God's Richness and Relevance: The Lord's Prayer
In the 6th chapter of Matthew verses 5 - 15, we find Jesus teaching His disciples about prayer. He shared some very important prerequisites with them for getting favorable responses to their prayers.
- We should humble ourselves before God and pray with sincere hearts and pure motives; not for public accolades, recognition, or rewards.
- We should shut off our own agendas, make God our priority, and spend quality time in prayer with the Him.
- Do not come before God with prayers that are not meaningful to us. If what we are praying doesn’t mean anything to us, why would expect it to mean anything to God?
- God already knows what our needs are before we even ask Him. He wants to spend time with us in intimate fellowship and communion through prayer.
- We must forgive. God will not forgive our sins if we don’t forgive others of theirs.
As I began to pray the same prayer that Jesus taught his disciples, He opened up my understanding like never before. Through His Word, He showed me that this prayer is still just as relevant, powerful, and full of spiritual richness as it was the very day that He spoke it.
Our Father which art in heaven , Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come.
[We call Him Abba, Father because we know that everything is possible for Him. (Mark 14:36) If we did not believe this, then why would we need to pray? Why would He have taught us how to pray?]
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven .
Luke 1:38 KJV....."be it unto me according to thy word." [Because God’s Word was with Him from the very beginning and the Word was God according to John 1:1 then we can conclude that God’s Word is His will.] So what exactly is God’s will in earth?
- Blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the Lord your God.(Deuteronomy 28:2NKJV)
- Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth. (3 John 1:2 (KJV)
- Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. (1 Peter 2:24 KJV)
- The LORD bless thee, and keep thee: The LORD make his face shine upon thee, and be gracious unto thee: The LORD lift up his countenance upon thee, and give thee peace.(Numbers 6:24-26 KJV)
- May the Lord richly bless both you and your children. (Psalm 115:14NLT)
- For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16 NKJV)
- The Lord isn’t really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent. (2 Peter 3:9NLT)
- I know what I'm doing. I have it all planned out—plans to take care of you, not abandon you, plans to give you the future you hope for. (Jeremiah 29:11 MSG)
Give us this day our daily bread.
- Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits, The God of our salvation! Selah (Psalm 68:19NKJV)
- It is of the Lord’s mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. (Lamentations 3:23 NKJV)
- I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous forsaken, nor his seed begging bread. (Psalm 37:25)
- But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:19KJV)
- Seek the kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need. (Matthew 6:33NLT)
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
- Forgive, and ye shall be forgiven: (Luke 6:37 KJV)
- And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins. (Mark 11:25NIV)
- Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32NIV)
- Make allowance for each other's faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others. (Col.3:13NLT)
And lead us not into temptation,
- Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak. (Matthew 26:41 (KJV)
- Lead me in the right path, O LORD, or my enemies will conquer me. Make your way plain for me to follow. (Psalm 5:8NLT)
- He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.(Psalm 23:3ESV)
- I felt encouraged because the gracious hand of the LORD my God was on me. (Ezra 7:28 NLT)
- God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it. (ICor.10:13NKJV)
but deliver us from evil:
- And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (2 Timothy 4:18 KJV)
- You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives. (Genesis 50:20NIV)
- No evil shall befall you, Nor shall any plague come near your dwelling. (Psalm 91:10)
- No weapon formed against you shall prosper, and every tongue which rises against you in judgment you shall condemn. (Isaiah 54:17NKJV)
- And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested.(1 Chronicles 4:10NKJV)
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.
- Yours, O Lord, is the greatness, The power and the glory, The victory and the majesty; For all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O Lord, And You are exalted as head over all. (I Chronicles 29:11 1 NKJV)
- Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. (Daniel 2:20NIV)
- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:7)
- Now unto God and our Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen. (Phil. 4:20)
I hope that the revelation, wisdom, and richness of what God shared with me through this prayer bless you as much as it has me.