- Sports and Recreation»
- Team Sports»
- American Football
21 Must See Bowl Games For 2011 College Football Season
College Football 2011 Bowl Season
It is college football bowl season again and the same ole same ole thing, controversy because the long debated question on why they want go to a playoff system. It kicks off the weekend with three games with (New Mexico Bowl - Temple vs Wyoming, Idaho Potato Bowl - Ohio (9-4) vs Utah State (7-5) and New Orleans Bowl - Louisiana (9-3) vs San Diego State (8-4). In my opinion there are too many bowls. There are 120 teams in fbs college football and 70 teams get to go to bowl games so you have a lot mediocre teams playing in some of the bowl games. For instance you will have some teams that went 6-6 playing in some bowl games. Although there is only one bowl game that matters here are my top 20 bowl game matchup from the most highly anticipated bcs national title in the bcs era.
21 Best Bowl Games Matchups (2011)
- (Jan. 9, 2012 - BCS Championship Game) - LSU (13-0) vs Alabama (11-1) - The last rematch came in a national title game came in 1997 Sugar Bowl between rivals Florida State and Florida and the Gators got revenge big in the rematch beating the Noles by 32 points after losing to them in the final regular season game by 3. Alabama will be looking for some payback from a 9-6 loss in overtime in Tuscaloosa on 11/5/11. Both teams went through the season unchallenged by any other teams as both teams won all there game by double digits with the exception obviously when they played each other. And now they will meet for the bcs title in New Orleans where LSU won in '03 & '07 bcs national titles while Alabama loss to Utah in the 2009 Sugar Bowl but they did beat Miami(Fl) in the 1993 Sugar Bowl for the national championship. This is probably one the most highly antipated bcs national title games since the 2006 BCS Championship game when USC took on Texas.
- (Jan. 2, 2012 - Fiesta Bowl - Glendale, AZ) - Oklahoma State (11-1) vs Stanford (11-1) - Oklahoma State reminds me of the 2006 Michigan that was left out of the national title game that year after they lost to Ohio State in there final regular season game. That year the Michigan felt like it deserve to be in the bcs title game instead of Florida, but they went on to get smashed by USC in the Rose Bowl 32-14. If Oklahoma State wants to prove themselve they must win this game and hope they can at least get a share of the national title. Stanford on the other hand loss only one game this season as well, but it was a costly one as they lost to Oregon 53-30 at home on 11/12/11. The lost kept the Cardinal out of the Pac 12 Championship Game which Oregon went on to win. Stanford will be looking for the second straight bcs bowl win as they finished last season with one loss as well and beat Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl.
- (Jan. 2, 2012 - Rose Bowl - Pasadena,CA) - Oregon (11-2) vs Wisconsin (11-2) - These two teams are winners of the conference championship games as Oregon won the Pac 12 title for the third straight season (previous two was when it was the Pac 10). While Wisconsin won the first Big Ten Championship game in a rematch against Michigan State as they avenged a 10/22/11 lost to the Spartans on a hail mary pass as time expired. The Badgers then lost the following week to Ohio State in sort of the same fashion as they lost back to back games but fought there way back as they didn't win the Big Ten Leaders divison until they beat Penn State in there final regular season finale to set up a rematch against Michigan State.
- (Jan. 2, 2012 - Capital One Bowl - Orlando, FL) - Nebraska (9-3) vs South Carolina (10-2) - The last time a Steve Spurrier coach team faced Nebraska came in the 1996 Fiesta Bowl for the national title when he was at Florida. That night Spurrier was absolutely crushed by Nebraska by the score 62-24. Now Spurrier will be looking for revenge as the South Carolina head coach. Nebraska on the other hand found that the Big Ten is not that easy as they finished in third place in the Big Ten Legends division. The Cornhuskers had been to two straight Big 12 championship games the previous two years before joining the Big Ten this year.
- (Jan. 4, 2012 - Orange Bowl - Miami, FL) - Clemson (10-3) vs West Virginia (9-3) - Clemson started the season on fire as they jumped to a 8-0 record and beating Auburn, Florida State and at Virginia Tech in back to back to back weekends. But the Tigers hit a speed bump toward the end of the season as they dropped 3 of its last 4 games of the season including a 34-13 loss to arch rival Clemson in the season finale. The Tigers redeem themselves thought as they still made it into the ACC Championship Game and beat Virginia Tech for a second time this year to capture their first ACC title since 1988. The Mountaineers finished in a three way tie in the Big East with Cinicinnati and Louisville, but they got the bid over those two teams since they were the only team ranked. West Virginia won there last three games of the regular season by a total of 7 poinst to put themselves in position to win the three way tie.
- (Jan. 6, 2012 - Cotton Bowl - Dallas, TX) - Kansas State (10-2) vs Arkansas (10-2) - Kansas State was a big surprise this year finishing in second place in the Big 12 with there only two losses coming to Big 12 champ Oklahoma State and Oklahoma as they finished the seasaon winning ten games. Arkansas also won ten games but there two losses came to the two best teams in the country (LSU and Alabama) which just happens to be in the same conference as the Razorbacks. Last year Arkansas finished the season with a 10-2 record and a trip to the Sugar Bowl where they lost to Ohio State 31-26.
- (Jan. 2, 2012 - Outback Bowl - Tampa, FL) - Michigan State (10-3) vs Georgia (10-3) - Another SEC vs Big Ten bowl game clash here. After droppings its first two games to Boise State and South Carolina the Bulldogs went on a ten game winning streak on their way to winning the SEC East but they were blasted in the SEC Championship game against LSU. Michigan State won the Big Ten Legends division but they lost to Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship Game in a rematch from a regular season win by the Spartans on the last play of the game. Michigan State should be looking to redeem themselves as they were just beatdowned by Alabama last year in the Capital One Bowl 49-7.
- (Jan. 3, 2012 - Sugar Bowl - New Orleans) - Michigan (10-2) vs Virginia Tech (11-2) - Michigan made a nice turnaround this season with first year head coach Brady Hoke as they won ten games and finished second in the Big Ten Legends division with a 6-2 record in conference play. The Wolverines haven't been to a bcs bowl game since the 2007 Rose Bowl when they faced USC. Virginia Tech on the other hand two losses came by the hands of Clemson twice. A 23-3 loss in Blacksburg and a 38-10 whipping in the ACC Championship Game. This will be Virginia Tech first non conference bcs school it will have face this season!
- (Dec. 29, 2011 - Champs Sports Bowl - Orlando, FL) - Florida State (8-4) vs Notre Dame (8-4) - After starting the year 2-3 Florida State won 6 of its last 7 games to finish with a 8-4 record. Although the Noles didn't win the ACC title they did win the state of Florida for the second straight year as they have beaten Florida and Miami(Fl) two years in a row now. Notre Dame had kind of a up and down year as well as they dropped there first two games to South Florida and at Michigan before going on a four game winning streak before they lost to USC and going on another four game winning streak before losing to Stanford in the season finale.
(Dec. 21, 2011 - Poinsetta Bowl - San Diego, CA) - TCU (10-2) vs Louisiana Tech (8-4) - The Horn Frogs followed up a undefeated 2010 season by finishing 10-2 record and Mountain West champions third straight year. TCU only two losses came to Baylor in the season opener and overtime loss to SMU on 9/30/11 40-33. They beat Boise State in Boise snapping the Broncos 35-game home winning streak. It really is a shame that the Horn Frogs couldn't have gotten into a better bowl game. But they are playing a team that won there conference in Louisiana Tech who won the WAC this year. The Bulldogs had a good year this season going 6-1 in conference play and a non conference win over Ole Miss of the SEC.
Here are bowl games 11-21 that are must see as well.
11. (Dec. 24, 2011 - Hawaii Bowl - Honolulu, HI) - Southern Miss (11-2) vs Nevada (7-5)
12. (Dec. 31, 2011 - Chick-Fil-A Bowl - Atlanta, GA) - Virginia (8-4) vs Auburn (7-5)
13. (Dec. 27, 2011 - Belk Bowl - Charlotte, NC) - Louisville (7-5) vs NC State (7-5)
14. (Jan. 2, 2012 - Ticketcity Bowl - Dallas, TX) - Penn State (9-3) vs Houston (12-1)
15. (Dec. 29, 2011 - Alamo Bowl - San Antonio, TX) - Washington (7-5) vs Baylor (9-3)
16. (Jan. 8, 2012 - GoDaddy.com Bowl - Mobile, AL) - Arkansas State (10-2) vs Northern Illinois (10-3)
17. (Dec. 26, 2011 - Independence Bowl - Shreveport, LA) - Missouri (7-5) vs North Carolina (7-5)
18. (Dec. 30, 2011 - Insight Bowl - Tempe, AZ) - Oklahoma (9-3) vs Iowa (7-5)
19. (Dec. 31, 2011 - Sun Bowl - El Paso, TX) - Georgia Tech (8-4) vs Utah (7-5)
20. (Jan. 2, 2012 - Gator Bowl - Jacksonville, FL) - Florida (6-6) vs Ohio State (6-6)
21. (Dec. 28, 2011 - Holiday Bowl - San Diego, CA) - California (7-5) vs Texas (7-5)