2014 NFL Power Rankings After Week 10
Patriots take over top spot
1. New England Patriots (7-2) - Before their week 10 bye week, the Patriots won their huge home matchup with the Denver Broncos in week nine. The Patriots have been on fire after a 2-2 start to the season, and a healthy Rob Gronkowski has helped them to operate at a high level offensively. A matchup in Indianapolis with the Colts will test the Patriots to see if they can keep the momentum going coming out of their bye week.
2. Denver Broncos (7-2) - The Broncos suffered a set back on the road against the Patriots, but they bounced back quickly against the Raiders behind Peyton Manning's five touchdown pass effort. The Broncos continue to look like one of the most complete teams in the NFL as they start to play out their second half schedule. The Broncos will look to continue playing well when they head out on the road to play the St. Louis Rams in week 11.
3. Arizona Cardinals (8-1) - The Cardinals lost starting quarterback Carson Palmer to an ACL tear in their week 10 victory over the Rams, but this is still a very good football team that has not lost since week five in Denver. Drew Stanton handled himself well in four games played already this season, however he will need to be more efficient if the Cardinals hope to keep winning with a difficult seven game schedule ahead of them. In week 11 the Cardinals host the Lions in a battle for NFC supremacy and potentially to decide the number one seed in the NFC playoffs.
4. Detroit Lions (7-2) - The Lions came out of their bye week in impressive fashion with a come from behind win against the Dolphins. With the number one scoring defense in the NFL, the Lions have continued to play great football into the second half of the season. In week 11 they head on the road with a chance to take over the top spot in the NFC with a win.
5. Philadelphia Eagles (7-2) - The Eagles bounced back in a big way from their loss to the Cardinals with two big wins in week nine and 10. They lost their starting quarterback in a win against Houston in week nine, but Mark Sanchez has played well in the absence of Nick Foles who is likely out for most the remaining regular season games. The Eagles week 11 matchup with the Green Bay Packers, is one of the premier matchups in the NFC this season.
6. Dallas Cowboys (7-3) - The Cowboys dropped a tough game at home against the Cardinals without Tony Romo in the lineup, but they bounced back in week 10 with a win in London over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Tony Romo was back and healthy for week 10, and the Cowboys head into week 11 with a bye week that comes at an opportune time to get Romo completely healthy again.
7. Indianapolis Colts (6-3) - The Colts took care of business on the road against the Giants before going into their bye week, as Andrew Luck continued his MVP caliber performance. The Colts were able to get healthy again with a week 10 bye, as they prepare for their week 11 matchup. The Colts return home in week 11 to face the Patriots in a huge AFC matchup between two first place teams.
8. Green Bay Packers (6-3) - After a week nine bye week, the Green Bay Packers returned to action in style with a huge blowout win against the division rival Chicago Bears. Aaron Rodgers' six touchdown passes in the first half put him firmly back into the middle of the NFL MVP race. A home matchup against the Eagles in week 11 will be another tough test for the Packers.
9. Kansas City Chiefs (6-3) - After a tough start to the season, the Chiefs have continued their strong play as of late. Wins against the Jets and on the road against the Bills have the Chiefs right back on pace to make another playoff appearance in 2014. A home game against the Seahawks in week 11 will give the Chiefs a great measuring stick to see where they are at this point in the season.
10. Seattle Seahawks (6-3) - After some early season struggles, the Seahawks have come on strong lately with wins in back to back weeks. Wins against the Raiders and Giants the past two weeks have the Seahawks feeling confident again behind strong rushing performances from Marshawn Lynch. A week 11 matchup in Kansas City will be a tough test for the Seahawks as they look to prove they are back near the level they played at last season.
11. Cleveland Browns (6-3) - The Browns have played tough football all season long and it has paid off lately with big wins. The last two weeks the Browns defeated the Buccaneers at home, and went on the road to blow out the division rival Bengals. A week 11 matchup with the Texans will provide the Browns with a unique test as they look to maintain their lead in the AFC North division.
12. Baltimore Ravens (6-4) - The Ravens suffered a set back on the road against the Steelers in week nine, but they bounced back with a solid win against the Titans in week 10. Joe Flacco's inconsistencies have held the Ravens back some this season but overall they are a very complete football team capable of a deep playoff run. The Ravens head into a bye week for week 11 where they will look to get to full health before returning to action in week 12.
13. Miami Dolphins (5-4) - The Miami Dolphins have played very competitive football lately but they suffered a set back on the road against the Lions in a very hard fought matchup. The Dolphins will look to re-establish themselves within their division in a week 11 matchup with the Buffalo Bills. Both teams enter the matchup at 5-4 tied for second place in the AFC North behind the Patriots.
14. Pittsburgh Steelers (6-4) - After back to back six touchdown pass games for quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in two wins, the mistake prone Steelers dropped their week 10 matchup with the Jets. Ben Roethlisberger is still in the MVP conversation, but the Steelers now have two bad losses this season. The Steelers will look to bounce back in a road matchup with the Titans in week 11.
15. San Diego Chargers (5-4) - The Chargers had a bye week in week 10 after getting shut out by the Dolphins in week nine. The Chargers were off to a strong start to the season with Phillip Rivers playing great football, but none of that magic has been there for the Chargers lately. The Chargers have a chance to get back to winning with a week 11 matchup against the winless Raiders.
16. Buffalo Bills (5-4) - The Buffalo Bills dropped a tough game at home against Kansas City in week 10, but they won big in week nine against the Jets. The Bills have played competitive football all season long, and Sammy Watkins has emerged as their number one receiver. The Bills week 11 matchup with the Dolphins could go a long way in deciding which team has a chance to make the AFC playoffs.
17. San Francisco 49ers (5-4) - The 49ers have gone 1-1 the last two weeks, but their week 10 matchup was a huge road win in New Orleans. They currently sit in third place in the NFC West with plenty of work to do if they hope to return to the playoffs in 2014. A road matchup with the Giants in week 11 will give the 49ers a chance to gain some momentum early in the second half of the season.
18. Cincinnati Bengals (5-3-1) - The Bengals have struggled lately, but they are 1-1 in their last two games. Both matchups were at home where the Bengals were able to defeat the Jaguars, but in week 10 they lost in blowout fashion to the Browns. In week 11 the Bengals face another tough matchup when they go on the road to face the Saints who are coming off a loss.
19. New Orleans Saints (4-5) - The Saints have struggled to gain traction this season, but their record is good enough to have them sitting atop the NFC South. A week nine win against the Panthers was followed up by an overtime loss at home against the 49ers. The Saints will look to bounce back in week 11 as they host the Bengals in an attempt to get back to .500.
20. Minnesota Vikings (4-5) - The Vikings have played tough football the last few weeks, but they had a bye week in week 10. A big win at home against the Washington Redskins helped Teddy Bridgewater to announce his arrival to the rest of the NFL. The Vikings will look to get back to .500 with a week 11 matchup against the struggling Chicago Bears.
21. Houston Texans (4-5) - The Houston Texans lost a home game against the Eagles in week nine before heading into their bye week in week 10. They come out of the bye week healthy and looking to get production from first overall pick Jadaveon Clowney. JJ Watt and the Texans will look to get back to .500 as they take on the Browns in week 11.
22. New York Giants (3-6) - The Giants have now lost four in a row after showing signs of turning the corner with an early season three game winning streak. A tough schedule has not done the Giants any favors, but with their injury situation right now, they are just not playing good football. The Giants will look to get back on track when they host the 49ers in week 11.
23. Washington Redskins (3-6) - The Redskins are coming off a bye week in week 10 after suffering a tough loss on the road against the Minnesota Vikings. Robert Griffin is back for the Redskins, as he will look to lead his team on a late second half run in similar fashion to his rookie season. The Redskins will look to get things going when they host the Buccaneers in week 11.
24. St. Louis Rams (3-6) - The Rams fell victim to the Cardinals in week 10 after keeping the game very close and even holding a lead late into that ballgame. Austin Davis has played good football in a situation where he had nothing to lose after taking over for injury replacement Shaun Hill. The Rams face another tough matchup in week 11 when they host the AFC leading Broncos.
25. Carolina Panthers (3-6-1) - The Carolina Panthers have won only one of their last eight games played as Cam Newton has struggled to find his way this season. After being so good defensively last season, the Carolina Panthers have taken several steps back on that side of the ball this season. A matchup with the Falcons in week 11 gives the Panthers a chance to put an end to this long streak of poor football that they have had this season.
26. Atlanta Falcons (3-6) - The Falcons earned their third win of the season in week 10 by beating the Buccaneers for the second time this season. It has been a rough season for the Falcons on both sides of the ball. A matchup with the struggling Panthers may be just what they need to put together a winning streak.
27. Chicago Bears (3-6) - Coming off the bye week, the Bears did not show up for their Sunday night matchup against the Packers. Their defense allowed six first half touchdown passes on their way to loss in a blowout fashion. Jay Cutler's struggles have been the focus during the Bears rough stretch recently this season. A home game against the Vikings will give the Bears another tough test as they look to find their way in week 11.
28. Tennessee Titans (2-7) - While Titans rookie quarterback Zach Mettenberger has not played poorly so far this season, his team has played poorly lately. After an early score against the Ravens, the Titans offense went quiet on Sunday to drop the team to 2-7 on the season. A week 11 matchup at home against the Steelers does not make life any easier for the Titans.
29. New York Jets (2-8) - The Jets avoided a franchise high nine game losing streak in a well played ballgame against the Steelers on Sunday. Playing keep away from the Steelers offense to win the time of possession battle, paid off in a big way for the Jets with Michael Vick at quarterback. A week 11 bye gives the Jets a much needed rest after earning their second win of the season.
30. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-9) - The Jaguars continue to see growth from their rookie quarterback Blake Bortles, but that was not enough for them to compete with the Cowboys in their week 10 matchup in London. Heading into their bye week, the Jaguars will look to come out strong in week 12 with Bortles having more time to prepare for their next opponent.
31. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-8) - The Buccaneers were not able to turn things around against the Falcons with the return of Josh McCown on Sunday. The Buccaneers miserable season is likely to continue as they go on the road to face the Redskins and RGIII in week 11.
32. Oakland Raiders (0-9) - The Raiders struggled to get anything going in their week 10 matchup with the Broncos, but they do have two players who have shown they can be franchise pieces for this team in the future. Rookie quarterback Derek Carr and rookie linebacker Khalil Mack have had some great moments this season despite the fact that the Raiders remain winless. A road matchup against the Chargers in week 11 is not a matchup in which the Raiders are likely to earn their first win.