- Sports and Recreation»
- Team Sports»
- American Football
2014 NFL Power Rankings After Week 12
Patriots hold onto top spot
1. New England Patriots (9-2) - Wins against the Colts on the road, and at home against the Lions helped to add to the Patriots impressive run since the first quarter of the season. Tom Brady is playing at a very high level with his best weapons healthy and on the field around him. He will need to continue to do so in week 13, as the Patriots head out on the road to take on the Green Bay Packers.
2. Green Bay Packers (8-3) - The Packers have hit their stride at home lately, with huge offensive performances recently, including a big win against the Eagles. On the road, the Packers were able to grind out a win against the Vikings to avoid the letdown before a big matchup. The Packers are back home in week 13 to take on the Patriots in a matchup that some think could be a Super Bowl preview.
3. Denver Broncos (8-3) - The past two weeks the Broncos have lost on the road against the Rams, after which they bounced back at home with a come from behind win against the Dolphins. The defending AFC champions have shown some weakness lately, but with Peyton Manning at quarterback they are still one of the best teams in the NFL. In week 13 the Broncos head on the road to face the Chiefs in a road matchup that could decide the AFC West division race.
4. Arizona Cardinals (9-2) - Going 1-1 the past two weeks with a win at home against Detroit, and a loss on the road at Seattle, still has the Cardinals on pace to win the NFC West. Drew Stanton's limitations at the quarterback position were apparent though in Seattle. In week 13, the Cardinals are on the road again as they try to earn a solid road victory against the Atlanta Falcons.
5. Philadelphia Eagles (8-3) - The Eagles have gone 1-1 in their last two games, with a nice bounce back win against the Titans after losing in blowout fashion on the road in Green Bay. Mark Sanchez has provided the Eagles with stability at the quarterback position in the absence of Nick Foles, but he has been far from spectacular. A week 13 matchup on Thanksgiving day in Texas against the Cowboys will be a chance for the Eagles to prove they belong at the top of the NFC East.
6. Dallas Cowboys (8-3) - The Dallas Cowboys have won two in a row heading into their big week 13 matchup. Tony Romo is playing great football right now, to complement the MVP caliber efforts from DeMarco Murray. A home matchup on Thanksgiving day against the Eagles will be a huge divisional test for the Cowboys as they take on the defending NFC East champs for the first time in 2014.
7. Indianapolis Colts (7-4) - The Colts suffered a home loss to the Patriots, but they bounced right back with another division win against Jacksonville in week 12. Andrew Luck had one of his less spectacular games this season in the win over Jacksonville, but he was good enough to continue his MVP effort this season. A home game against the Redskins in week 13 should allow the Colts to start another winning streak.
8. Seattle Seahawks (7-4) - The Seahawks dropped a road game against the red hot Chiefs, but they were able to bounce back in week 12 with a big home victory against the division leading Cardinals. Russell Wilson continues to do it all for the Seahawks offensively. A huge matchup awaits in week 13 as the Seahawks head on the road to play the 49ers for the first time this season.
9. Cincinnati Bengals (7-3-1) - The Bengals have gotten back on track with back to back road wins for the first time all season. Wins against the Saints and Texans have the Bengals keeping pace in a tight AFC North division race, which they currently lead. Their matchup with Buccaneers in Tampa for week 13, should allow them to keep the winning streak going.
10. Baltimore Ravens (7-4) - The Ravens have won two in a row since dropping a Sunday night matchup in Pittsburgh, with their latest victories coming against the Titans and Saints. A dominant win against the Saints in week 12 featured more of the Ravens resurgent running game with Justin Forsett being featured. A home matchup against the Chargers in week 13 will give the Ravens the opportunity to make their move in the AFC wildcard race.
11.San Francisco 49ers (7-4) - The 49ers have won two close games in a row on the east coast the last two weeks. Strong play by Colin Kaepernick late in ballgames allowed the 49ers to gain 16-10 and 17-13 victories at New York and at Washington. The 49ers get their first shot at the defending Super Bowl champs in week 13 when they return home to face them.
12. Detroit Lions (7-4) - The Lions have lost two in a row, by dropping a game in Arizona against the Cardinals, then following that up by getting blown out in Foxboro against the Patriots. Offensive struggles were highlighted for the Lions the past two weeks, but they can put that all behind them very quickly. A home game against the Bears in week 13, could be what the Lions need to get back on track.
13. Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4) - The Steelers avoided a second straight letdown with a come from behind victory in their road game against the Titans in week 11. They had their bye week in week 12 with the opportunity to return to action in week 13 with a fully healthy roster. The Steelers return home in week 13 to face the Saints at Heinz Field.
14. Kansas City Chiefs (7-4) - The Chiefs kept the momentum going with a big home victory over the Seahawks, but they followed that up with a stumble on the road against the Raiders to give Oakland their first win. Travis Kelce has emerged as a downfield passing threat for the Chiefs who have struggled in this area for most of the season. A home game against the Broncos in week 13 could go a long way towards deciding the AFC West division champ.
15. San Diego Chargers (7-4) - The San Diego Chargers have won two close games lately to get back on track. A win over Oakland in week 11 was followed up by a late game interception in week 12 to seal a three point victory over the Rams. The Chargers face a tough matchup in week 13 as they travel to the east coast to play the Baltimore Ravens.
16. Cleveland Browns (7-4) - The Cleveland Browns had a letdown against the Texans, but bounced back with a last second win on the road against the Falcons. The return of Josh Gordon played a huge role in allowing the Browns to make the late rally. A road game against the Bills could prove to be a tough test for the Browns in week 13.
17. Miami Dolphins (6-5) - The Dolphins earned a huge win against the Bills in week 11, but followed that up with a road loss against the Broncos in week 12. Ryan Tannehill has played great football recently to keep the Dolphins in the playoff race. A road game against the Jets in week 13 should allow the Dolphins to get back on track.
18. Buffalo Bills (6-5) - The Bills suffered a significant setback when they lost to the Dolphins in week 11, but they bounced back by blowing out the Jets in week 12. Strong defense has been what has carried the Bills to a winning record to this point in the season. A home game against the Browns in week 13 could prove to be a tough matchup for the Bills.
19. Houston Texans (5-6) - The Texans earned a big win against the Browns in week 11, but they fell at home against the Bengals in week 12. JJ Watt has continued is strong season even in games where he has gotten extra attention from the opposition. Another matchup with the Titans in week 13 could allow the Texans to get back to .500.
20. New Orleans Saints (4-7) - The Saints have not been able to take advantage of the struggles of the other teams in their division lately as they have now dropped two home games in a row to AFC North playoff contenders. The Saints are currently in a first place tie with the Falcons, but they will need to play better if they hope to return to the playoffs. A week 13 matchup on the road against the Steelers will not be easy for this reeling Saints team.
21. Chicago Bears (5-6) - Wins against the Vikings and Buccaneers have the Bears back on track somewhat. Jay Cutler had success in a big third quarter for the Bears in their latest win against the Buccaneers. A road matchup against the Detroit Lions will be a more difficult test for the Bears in week 13.
22. St. Louis Rams (4-7) - The Rams have been impressive the past two weeks while going 1-1 against two playoff contenders from the AFC West. A blowout win at home against the Broncos, followed by a late game loss to the Chargers has the Rams playing better football. A week 13 matchup at home against the Raiders could get the Rams back closer to .500.
23. Atlanta Falcons (4-7) - The Falcons followed up a win against the Panthers with a late game loss to the Browns in week 12. The theme of bad defense in the NFC South has held true for the Falcons this season, as they have played good offense at times this season. A home game against the Cardinals will be a tough matchup to use to try to get back on track.
24. Minnesota Vikings (4-7) - The Vikings have lost two in a row against the Bears and Packers. With Adrian Peterson suspended for the rest of the season and released, the Vikings are now free to spend on their future. A week 13 matchup against the Panthers could help the Vikings to build some confidence in the latter part of the 2014 season.
25. Carolina Panthers (3-7-1) - Before the bye week, the Panthers suffered another loss to extend their losing streak this season. A loss to the Falcons made it very tough for the Panthers to bounce back and defend their division title. A road game against the Vikings could be an interesting matchup for the Panthers in week 13.
26. New York Giants (3-8) - The Giants have now lost six in a row after their latest loss to the Dallas Cowboys in week 12. Odell Beckham is emerging as a star for the Giants with probably the greatest catch of the season, but that has been one of the only bright spots for the Giants recently. A week 13 matchup on the road against the Jaguars could allow the Giants to earn their fourth win of the season.
27. Washington Redskins (3-8) - Losses to the Buccaneers and 49ers the past two weeks have the Redskins wondering what went wrong this season. Robert Griffin's ability as an NFL quarterback has come into question recently in the Redskins tough stretch since his return. A road game against the Colts in week 13 is not going to make life any easier for RGIII and the Redskins.
28. New York Jets (2-9) - After returning from the bye week, the Jets lost in blowout fashion to the Buffalo Bills. Michael Vick was supposed to be the spark that ignited the Jets offense, but he had an extremely poor showing against Buffalo. A home game against the Dolphins in week 13 is not going to be a good matchup for the Jets to try to get something going.
29. Tennessee Titans (2-9) - The Titans showed plenty of fight in their Monday night home game against the Steelers even in a loss, they did not show up as well in week 12 in their road matchup with the Eagles though. The Titans go on the road to face the Texans as they wind down another tough season in 2014.
30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2-9) - The Buccaneers showed signs of life with their big win in Washington, and they held a 10 point lead in the third quarter against Chicago. A big comeback by the Bears sent the Bucs to another loss though. Mike Evans and the Buccaneers offense will look to get things going again at home in their week 13 matchup against the Bengals.
31. Oakland Raiders (1-10) - The Raiders showed plenty of fight as they defended their home field on Thursday night against the Chiefs. This may end up being the Raiders only win of the season, but Derek Carr's late touchdown drive gives them hope for the future.
32. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-10) - Indianapolis proved to be too much for the Jaguars to handle, as they went quietly in their 10th loss of the season. The future is intact for the Jaguars at the quarterback position, but they are going to need to add talent elsewhere if they hope to compete in the future.