- Sports and Recreation»
- Team Sports»
- American Football
2014 NFL Power Rankings After Week 2
Broncos take over top spot
1. Denver Broncos (2-0) - The Broncos started the season with big wins at home against playoff teams from last year. Each game was decided by seven points, but early indications are that both the Broncos offense and defense will live up to expectations. A win at Seattle next week would solidify the Broncos spot atop the early season Power Rankings.
2. Seattle Seahawks (1-1) - As impressive and unbeatable as the Seahawks looked in week 1 at home against the Packers, they still looked vulnerable in a loss at the Chargers in week 2. Both the Seahawks opponents to start the season were playoff teams in 2013, so going 1-1 is not the worst thing that could happen. Next week's game at home against the Broncos could be a defining moment in the season for the Seahawks.
3. Cincinnati Bengals (2-0) - The Bengals opened the season with an impressive win on the road against a division rival, then followed that up by dismantling the Falcons in week 2 at home. The Bengals have a great chance to start 3-0 as they host the Titans next week.
4. Arizona Cardinals (2-0) - The Cardinals have shown in the first two weeks of the season that they are one of the most complete teams in the NFL. Prolific perimeter threats allowed the Cards to come back in week 1 for a victory against the Chargers, and a dominating defensive effort on the east coast against the Giants proved that they can win in impressive fashion without their starting quarterback. Next week the Cardinals host the 49ers coming off a tough loss, so a win in that game would put the Cardinals among the elite in the early going.
5. Philadelphia Eagles (2-0) - The Eagles have trailed for a significant amount of minutes so far in the 2014 season, but an opportunistic defense backing an offense that comes through in crunch time, has led the Eagles to a 2-0 start. With the Eagles passing their biggest early season test against the Colts on Monday night, they come home to face Redskins in week 3.
6. Buffalo Bills (2-0) - This may be an overreaction to the Bills strong start, but the Bills have shown the fans plenty in the first two weeks of the season. A strong defense and an effective offense have shown the ability to lead the Bills to a road victory against a very good Bears team. The Bills then showed the ability to dominate at home against a good Miami Dolphins team. Hosting the Chargers in week 3 would be a third straight huge test that the Bills have a chance to pass.
7. San Diego Chargers (1-1) - The Chargers could not hold a late game lead against the Cardinals on the road in week 1, but they bounced back with a huge effort in their home opener against the Seahawks. Phillip Rivers and the Chargers offense proved that they can compete at a high level against anybody. The Chargers travel to Buffalo this week, for another tough test on the road.
8. Carolina Panthers (2-0) - The Panthers are off to a strong start this season, even after Cam Newton missed their season opener against Tampa Bay. Kelvin Benjamin proved in week 1 that the Panthers do have a perimeter threat at wide receiver, along with veterans Jason Avant and Jericho Cotchery being solid contributors. The Panthers will look to move to 3-0 as they host the Pittsburgh Steelers in week 3.
9. New England Patriots (1-1) - The Patriots couldn't hold a lead in week 1 against the Dolphins, but they took advantage of the mistake prone Matt Cassel in their big win week 2 against the Vikings. The Patriots host the Raiders in week 3, with a chance to move to 2-1 if they continue to play defense they way they showed they can in Sunday's win against the Vikings.
10. Chicago Bears (1-1) - The Bears looked they were headed to an 0-2 start when they fell behind early against the 49ers, but a late rally has them in good position going into week 3. A Monday night matchup at the Jets will not be easy, but with better health going into this week, Chicago has a chance to move to 2-1.
11. Baltimore Ravens (1-1) - The Ravens did not make enough plays to come up with a victory in week 1 at home against the Bengals, but with the extra motivation of dedicating Thursday's game to Ray Rice, the Ravens dismantled the Pittsburgh Steelers. A win at Cleveland in week 3 would help Ravens fans to forget their disappointing loss to open the season.
12. San Francisco 49ers (1-1) - The 49ers put together an impressive defensive performance in a win at Dallas to start the season, but they could not hold a late at home against Chicago in week 2. After their disappointing loss in week 2, the 49ers have to go on the road to play Arizona, one of the best teams in the NFL early on this season.
13. Indianapolis Colts (0-2) - The Colts are off to an 0-2 start after playing two of the best teams in the NFL to start their 2014 schedule. Both games were decided by one possession, and despite the Colts 0-2 record, they still have the talent to be one of the NFL's best teams. The Colts should earn their first win of the season when they visit Jacksonville in week 3.
14. Green Bay Packers (1-1) - The Packers opened the season by getting dismantled on the road against a great Seahawks team. They bounced back in week 2 with a big offensive performance against the Jets. A week 3 matchup at the Lions could be a very interesting game as the two teams battle to gain an edge in the NFC North early on this season.
15. Texans (2-0) - The Texans are off to an impressive 2-0 start to the season, which matches last year's record at this point, but both their games so far this season have been victories decided by double digits. A strong defense and a strong running game have been enough to help Ryan Fitzpatrick manage the Texans to two wins early on this season. With a win in week 3 at the Giants, the Texans can make a statement that they will be in the playoff race to stay.
16. Atlanta Falcons (1-1) - The Falcons came away with an impressive overtime victory against the Saints in week 1 due to a huge performance by Matt Ryan and their offense. In week 2, Matt Ryan was mistake prone against the Bengals, and the Falcons momentum could not carry them to a big road win. A matchup with the struggling Buccaneers this Thursday night, could be what helps to get the Falcons back on track.
17. New York Jets (1-1) - The Jets went into their matchup against the Packers on Sunday with confidence after beating the Raiders in week 1. A controversial timeout cost the Jets a game tying touchdown and ultimately the game. Hosting the Bears on Monday night in week 3, the Jets will once again enter the matchup with confidence as they look for that signature win early in the season.
18. New Orleans Saints (0-2) - One of the biggest surprises of the 2014 season is the Saints 0-2 start with road games at Atlanta and at Cleveland. As one of the most talented teams in the NFL, its hard to see this rough start to the season continuing. The Saints host the Vikings in week 3 with a chance to earn their first win of the season.
19. Detroit Lions (1-1) - The Lions had it all going at home in a week 1 victory over the Giants, but all of that was quickly forgotten when they played a poor road game against the Panthers to drop to 1-1. Hosting the Packers in week 3 could prove to a huge matchup for NFC North supremacy early in the season.
20. Minnesota Vikings (1-1) - The Vikings were off to a flying start with their blowout victory at home against the Rams in week 1, but mistakes from Matt Cassel took away their chance to compete with the Patriots in week 2. The Vikings face another early season test as they head on the road to face the Saints, but this team is unlikely to reach their ceiling until Teddy Bridgewater proves he is ready to take over at quarterback for the Vikings.
21. Miami Dolphins (1-1) - The Dolphins had a huge week 1 victory against the Patriots, but they followed it up with a stinker on the road against the Buffalo Bills. The Dolphins will look to bounce back in week 3 as they host the Kansas City Chiefs.
22. Dallas Cowboys (1-1) - After a mistake filled season opener at home against the 49ers, the Cowboys went on the road and did enough to come up with a 26-10 victory against the Titans. The Cowboys defense has played better early on this season than they were expected to, but their offense has been mistake prone. A week three visit to the Rams could be a defining moment early in the season for the Cowboys.
23. Washington Redskins (1-1) - A poor offensive performance against the Texans in week 1 had things looking bleak for the Redskins in 2014, but in week 2 when Kirk Cousins relieved the injured Robert Griffin with a fantastic performance against the Jaguars, there is hope again for the Redskins. The Redskins visit Philadelphia in week 3 with a chance to make an early season statement.
24. St. Louis Rams (1-1) - A blowout loss at Minnesota in week 1 had the Rams doubting their ability to win games without quarterback Sam Bradford. A big win led by young quarterback Austin Davis, against the Bucs in week 2 has the Rams back on track. The Rams matchup against the Cowboys in week 3 will let the fans know if this team can compete offensively with Austin Davis under center.
25. Tennessee Titans (1-1) - A dominating win over the Chiefs on the road in week 1 was a big game for the young Titans squad. A stinker at home against the Cowboys did not help their confidence much though. It does not get any easier for the Titans as they have to visit the 2-0 Bengals in week 3.
26. Pittsburgh Steelers (1-1) - Lack of toughness in the trenches on both sides of the ball has the Steelers fortunate to have a win at this point. Both the Browns and Ravens had their way with the Steelers defensive front, but the Steelers offensive playmakers were able to earn a win in a high scoring week 1 game against the Browns. The Steelers face a potential 1-2 start to the season as they visit the Panthers in week 3.
27. Cleveland Browns (1-1) - After giving the Steelers a scare in week 1 on the road, the Browns completed the comeback with a late field goal of their own against the Saints in week 2. The Browns have found a running game by going running back by committee to help support the good decisions made by quarterback Brian Hoyer early on this season. The Browns week 3 game at home against the Ravens is a chance for them to make an early statement within their division.
28. Kansas City Chiefs (0-2) - The Chiefs early season losses to the Titans and Broncos, have exposed the limitations of quarterback Alex Smith. The Chiefs best offensive player in Jamaal Charles, has not gotten enough touches early on this season. The Chiefs week 3 matchup in Miami against the Dolphins, will be another difficult game for Kansas City.
29. New York Giants (0-2) - The Giants opened the season with a disappointing performance on the road against the Lions. Their bounce back opportunity came Sunday against a back up quarterback for the Cardinals, and they still ended up losing that game by a double digit margin. A week 3 matchup with the Texans could be another bounce back opportunity for this Giants squad that believes they have underperformed to this point.
30. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-2) - With Lovie Smith taking over as the Bucs head coach, and a new look defense in place, the Bucs had early expectations. They have not met them with poor offensive efforts in losses to the Panthers and Rams in the first two weeks of the season. It does not get much easier, as they face the Falcons in week 3 with Atlanta coming off a tough loss.
31. Oakland Raiders (0-2) - Losses to the Jets and Texans to start the season, have shown the Raiders still have work to do if they are going to compete. Rookie quarterback Derrick Carr has been efficient with his short passes, but when asked to do more he became mistake prone against the Texans. A matchup at New England in week 3 will not be any easier for the Raiders.
32. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-2) - After playing a competitive first half against the Eagles in the season opener, the Jaguars have not been competitive since, as they have now been outscored 75-10 in the last six quarters of their two losses to start the season. A week 3 matchup at home against the Indianapolis Colts probably will not be the answer for the Jaguars early season struggles.