2014 NFL Power Rankings After Week 4
Seahawks move back into number one spot
1. Seattle Seahawks (2-1) - The Seahawks have played outstanding defense at home again this season, which allowed them to defeat the Denver Broncos before heading into their bye week. The Seahawks have lost their only road game so far this season, in San Diego, but with two impressive showings at home against great offensive teams, they move back into the top spot in the rankings. The Seahawks have the opportunity to get their first road win, when they play Washington in week five in a Monday Night Football matchup.
2. Denver Broncos (2-1) - The Broncos fall from the top spot in the rankings with their overtime loss in Seattle in week three before their bye week in week four. The Broncos face some serious competition from the Chargers this season and they will look to get back in the win column when they host the Cardinals in week five.
3. Cincinnati Bengals (3-0) - The Bengals went into their bye week flying high after allowing just over ten points per game through three weeks of the season. Andy Dalton has done enough so far this season with a great team around him, and may be asked to do more as the schedule gets tougher. The Bengals will look to move to 4-0 on the season when they visit the Patriots who are struggling to protect their quarterback.
4. Arizona Cardinals (3-0) - The Arizona Cardinals have put on a great display of team football through three games of the season. Starting quarterback Carson Palmer played the opener, but has not played since. Drew Stanton led the Cardinals to two straight victories, with one of them being on the east coast. The Cardinals face their toughest test of the season to this point, when they go on the road to face the Patriots in week five.
5. San Diego Chargers (3-1) - The Chargers have put on a display of great football ever since losing their season opener on the road against the Cardinals. A strong second half against the Jaguars led them to victory in blowout fashion in week four. They could move to 4-1 on the season as they host the Jets on Sunday in a matchup of two teams that hope to qualify for the AFC playoffs this season.
6. Philadelphia Eagles (3-1) - The Eagles suffered their first loss of the season on Sunday in San Francisco. It was a very down game for an explosive Eagles offense, but some of the concerns about their defense have gone away, as the Eagles continue to get strong play from their safeties along with solid play from their defensive front. The Eagles will look to bounce back in week five as they host the Rams.
7. Baltimore Ravens (3-1) - The Ravens have played impressive football since losing their home opener to the Bengals in week one. Sunday's blowout win against the Panthers, featured Steve Smith in a huge way against his former team. The Ravens week five matchup against the Colts in Indianapolis, could prove to be one of the best games of the week.
8. Detroit Lions (3-1) - The Detroit Lions have put together a solid showing so far this season as they have raced out to the division lead in the NFC North. Their latest win on the road against the Jets has built their confidence high through one quarter of the season. The Lions play at home against the Bills in week five as they will look to build on the momentum they have created.
9. Indianapolis Colts (2-2) - After two tough losses in the first two weeks of the season, the Colts have bounced back in a big way with blowout victories on the road against Jacksonville and Tennessee. Andrew Luck continues to lead the Colts offense with great performances on a weekly basis. The Colts matchup against the Ravens at home in week five is a huge matchup that could help them to build momentum as they head into the second quarter of the season.
10. Dallas Cowboys (3-1) - Ever since the Cowboys loss in the season opener against the 49ers, they have put together a good stretch of football. In the past two weeks, a huge come from behind victory on the road against the Rams and a blowout win at home against the Saints have the Cowboys rolling after one quarter of the season has been played. A huge in state matchup against the Texans this week will be a chance for the Cowboys to make another early season statement.
11. San Francisco 49ers (2-2) - The 49ers rallied for a huge victory in week four against the Eagles, with an effort that may have saved their season. A strong defensive effort was somewhat surprising against the Eagles, but they got the job done even with a shorthanded defensive unit. The 49ers host the Chiefs in week five, and they need a victory to be able to keep up in the NFC West.
12. New York Giants (2-2) - The Giants have gotten their season back on track after a rough start for a second straight season. Eli Manning had one of the best games of his career in a week four victory over the Redskins on Thursday night football. A week five matchup with the Falcons will be an early season test for the Giants after getting right offensively in recent games.
13. Houston Texans (3-1) - The Texans strong start to the season hit a snag in week three when they lost on the road against the Giants. A bounce back effort against the Buffalo Bills has them back on track heading into a huge matchup with the Cowboys. Ryan Fitzpatrick will need to take better care of the football in the coming weeks in order to keep his job.
14. Green Bay Packers (2-2) - The Packers responded to criticism from the media with a blowout win over the Bears on Sunday. This evened their record at 2-2, and lifted them to 1-1 in NFC North division games. Their Thursday night matchup with the Vikings is another opportunity to make a statement in their division.
15. Chicago Bears (2-2) - The Bears up and down start to the season continued when they lost in blowout fashion to the Packers Sunday. The Bears have experienced some inconsistency on both sides of the ball early on this season, but they have a chance to get right back on track when they take on the Panthers this week in a matchup of 2-2 teams in week five.
16. Kansas City Chiefs (2-2) - The Chiefs bounced back from a poor start offensively with huge scoring efforts against the Dolphins and Patriots the past two weeks. The Chiefs defensive ability was never in question, but now they look like a strong team in the AFC with the offense playing good football. The Chiefs road matchup with the 49ers in week five will tell NFL fans more about what this team can do this season.
17. Carolina Panthers (2-2) - The Panthers inconsistent start to the season still has them tied for first place in the NFC South. Losses to the Steelers and Ravens the past two weeks have erased all the good work they did to gain the edge early in the season. A home game against the Bears could prove to be a pivotal game for them in week five.
18.New England Patriots (2-2) - For the Patriots, their only strong showing this season was in a win against a mistake prone Matt Cassel for the Vikings. The Patriots are getting beaten in the trenches on both sides of the ball, and they brought in Richie Incognito to try to help their offensive line. A week five matchup with the Bengals is not likely to help the Patriots offense get back on track.
19. Buffalo Bills (2-2) - While the Bills still have all the conditions in place that helped them to a 2-0 start, poor play from EJ Manuel in the last two games has hurt them. EJ Manuel needs to be efficient in order for the Bills to have success, and he was unable to deliver when called upon to try to win games against tougher run defenses. A road matchup against the Lions has the potential to be another long day for the Bills in week five.
20. Miami Dolphins (2-2) - The Dolphins bounced back from a tough loss against the Chiefs, with a blowout victory against the Raiders. Ryan Tannehill answered some questions after some doubts were there due to his performance against the Chiefs. The Dolphins head into their bye week in week five to prepare for their week six matchup.
21. Minnesota Vikings (2-2) - The Teddy Bridgewater era in Minnesota has begun and the Vikings are better off for it. The Vikings were able to score with and eventually outscore the Falcons in a 41-28 win. The Vikings face the Packers in a Thursday matchup this week, with a chance to make an early statement within their own division.
22. Pittsburgh Steelers (2-2) - The Steelers put together an impressive performance in Carolina in every aspect of the game, but they were unable to have the momentum carry over in a home loss to the Buccaneers. Ben Roethlisberger, Antonio Brown and Le'Veon Bell are all off to solid starts this season, but the Steelers defense and special teams units have struggled in key situations. The Steelers host the Jaguars in week five as they look to move above .500 once again.
23. Atlanta Falcons (2-2) - The early season for the Falcons has been marked with inconsistency. A huge win in week three against the Bucs was followed up by a loss to the Vikings in week three. Matt Ryan is off to a good start this season, but the team faces a tough matchup against the Giants in week five.
24. New Orleans Saints (1-3) - After getting their first win of the season against the Vikings, the Saints had a huge let down in Dallas where they were blown out. New Orleans has plenty of talent on both sides of the ball, but Drew Brees does not seem to be the player he once was. The Saints match up with Buccaneers in week five as the teams meet with 1-3 records.
25. St. Louis Rams (1-2) - The Rams had their bye week in week four after blowing a big lead against the Cowboys in a home game. Austin Davis may be the answer at quarterback for the Rams throughout the rest of 2014. A week five matchup with the Eagles will provide the Rams with another tough test early in the season.
26. New York Jets (1-3) - Close losses to the Bears and Lions have the Jets sitting in last place in the AFC East early this season. Geno Smith has struggled to find consistency early this season when asked to carry the load, but these tough times could be a learning experience for him. A week five matchup with the Chargers in San Diego is not the break in the schedule that the Jets were looking for.
27. Washington Redskins (1-3) - The Redskins have fallen on hard times after a 1-1 start to the season. A close loss in Philly against the Eagles, and a blowout loss at home against the Giants has the Redskins in last place in the NFC East. Kirk Cousins will look to bounce back in week five after a rough performance against the Giants, but it will not be easy against a great Seahawks defense.
28. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-3) - The Buccaneers earned their first win of the season on the road against the Steelers in week four. With Mike Glennon taking over at quarterback for the Bucs, the Tampa Bay offense has started to play to their potential. The offense being able to stay on the field for sustained possessions, helped their defense immensely. A matchup with the New Orleans Saints in week five could give the Bucs a chance to create some momentum throughout the rest of the season.
29. Cleveland Browns (1-2) - The Browns have played competitive football in every game this season, and they will look to continue that as they return from their bye week in week five. A matchup with the Titans could give the Browns a chance to get a solid win for their young core players.
30. Tennessee Titans (1-3) - After their season opening win against the Chiefs, things have gone downhill for the Titans. Jake Locker is among the least efficient passers in the NFL so far this season as he and the Titans offense have struggled to find traction. It does not get any easier for them, as they have to face a tough Browns defense in week five.
31. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-4) - The Jaguars had something to feel good about in week four as they saw their quarterback of the future make his first career start. A poor second half for the team dropped them to 0-4, after some solid play in the first half had them thinking they might earn their first win. Next up for the Jaguars is a matchup in Pittsburgh with the Steelers, where the Buccaneers got their first win in week four.
32. Oakland Raiders (0-4) - Derek Carr has been the only bright spot for the Raiders offense this season, as they have only been competitive in two games so far this season. Their second blowout loss in three weeks, has the Raiders down heading into their bye week.