- Sports and Recreation»
- Team Sports»
- American Football»
- NFL Football
2014 NFL Power Rankings Week 1
NFL Power Ranks Week 1
Well, I almost can't believe it. I mean, is the first week of the NFL season over already? I can't even get my head around the fact that the season is actually here let alone a week in. Let's take a look back on a crazy opening week and see which teams look impressive and which teams don't.
1. Seattle Seahawks (1-0) ~ The Legion of Boom held Aaron Rodgers in check all night as the Seahawks opened their title defense season with a bang. To be the champs you've got to beat the champs and in Seattle that's nearly impossible.
2. Denver Broncos (1-0) ~ Round two of Peyton Manning vs his old squad goes to the old gunslinger as the Broncos edged the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday. Nobody doubts Manning's arm but the defense will have to step up if Denver plans on having a Super season.
3. San Francisco 49ers (1-0) ~ The Niners depleted defense (no Navorro Bowman or Aldon Smith) didn't miss a beat in Big D. Three sacks, three interceptions, a fumble recovery and a defensive touchdown. Not a bad day at all.
4. Cincinnati Bengals (1-0) ~ Cincy may have needed a late score to pull out the victory after blowing a 15-point lead but a win is a win. The big question is will Andy Dalton live up to the ridiculous contract (six years for $115 million) he signed during the offseason?
5. Atlanta Falcons (1-0) ~ Matt Ryan threw for a franchise-record 448 yards as the Falcons took down the New Orleans Saints for only the fourth time in their last 17 meetings. In my eyes the Falcons are the team that will make the playoffs this season in the NFC after missing out last year.
6. Philadelphia Eagles (1-0) ~ Clearly this was a game of two halves. The Eagles were thoroughly outplayed in the first half and trailed to the lowly Jacksonville Jaguars 17-0 at home. Then they stepped on the gas and scored 34 unanswered to run away with the victory.
7. Green Bay Packers (0-1) ~ I'm giving Rodgers and company a pass for the egg they laid in Seattle. They should unleash their frustrations on the visiting New York Jets come Sunday.
8. Arizona Cardinals (1-0) ~ Carson Palmer threw for over 300 yards and two scores and the Cards defense completely shut down the San Diego Chargers run game. People might forget this team won seven of their last nine to narrowly miss out on the playoffs last year. Don't sleep on them this year.
9. New Orleans Saints (0-1) ~ A three-point road loss in a divisional game? Eh. As long as Drew Brees and Jimmy Graham are in town I'm not betting against the Saints. Are you?
10. Carolina Panthers (1-0) ~ It may not have been pretty but Carolina won its first game without Cam Newton as he sat with a rib injury. Newton should be back in the lineup next week and that should give a better picture as to what this Panthers team is all about.
11. New England Patriots (0-1) ~ A ten-point lead turned into a 13-point loss in Miami. Tom Brady averaged only 4.4 yards per pass. Is this just a hiccup or something more?
12. Indianapolis Colts (0-1) ~ Andrew Luck came up just short of yet another 4th quarter comeback. This kid is going to be a lot of fun to watch for a lot of years. Indy has been quite spoiled at quarterback for 16 of the last 17 years with more to come.
13. Detroit Lions (1-0) ~ Calvin Johnson showed everyone why he is the best receiver in the game hauling in seven passes for 164 yards and two scores as the Lions tamed the New York Giants on Monday night.
14. Pittsburgh Steelers (1-0) ~ Antonio Brown. That is all.
15. Miami Dolphins (1-0) ~ Is Knowshon Moreno the man in Miami? He started his Dolphins career by rushing for an NFL high 134 yards and a score in their upset win over the Patriots.
16. Chicago Bears (0-1) ~ Losing at home to Buffalo in overtime was not the way the Bears saw their season starting. Neither did 20-plus people in my Last Man Standing pool.
17. Minnesota Vikings (1-0) ~ New coach, new offensive coordinator and the largest margin of victory in week one. At least the sports fans in Minnesota have something to smile about this year.
18. San Diego Chargers (0-1) ~ Some experts predicted this was the year Antonio Gates fades away. A team high six catches for 81 yards Monday night says otherwise.
19. Baltimore Ravens (0-1) ~ The football world was stunned when Ray Rice was released after a horrendous video became public. His playing days might be behind him at the ripe age of 27.
20. Tennessee Titans (1-0) ~ The Titans picked off Alex Smith three times to pull off a big upset in KC. It was only the second three interception game in the last five years for Smith.
21. Kansas City Chiefs (0-1) ~ Last year the Chiefs started 9-0 and were the darling of the NFL. With a road trip to Denver looming it's a very real possibility the Chiefs will be staring 0-2 in the face.
22. New York Jets (1-0) ~ Rex Ryan was not happy with his team's performance despite picking up the victory. The 11 penalties for 105 yards didn't bite them against the Oakland Raiders but they can't do that in Lambeau and expect to come away with the victory on Sunday.
23. Buffalo Bills (1-0) ~ The Bills are staying in Buffalo. The Pegula family, who own the NHL's Sabres, have purchased the team and are committed to keeping them in upstate New York. Great news for the Bills and for the NFL.
24. Houston Texans (1-0) ~ New coach Bill O'Brien got the win in his first game, however, the Texans lost number one overall draft pick Jadeveon Clowney to a torn meniscus. He will be out four-to-six weeks.
25. New York Giants (0-1) ~ Eli Manning did not look good in his debut with a new offense. The much-maligned quarterback threw two more interceptions after leading the NFL last season.
26. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (0-1) ~ It's deja vu all over again. Muscle hamster Doug Martin was injured and Bobby Rainey took the reigns as Tampa nearly upset Caroilna.
27. Cleveland Browns (0-1) ~ The Browns erased a 24-point halftime deficit to nearly stun the Steelers in the ketchup bottle. But really the takeaway from this game is Antonio Brown kicking the punter isn't it?
28. Dallas Cowboys (0-1) ~ Rumor has it that due to being frustrated with his play Tony Romo threw his helmet in disgust only to have it intercepted as well.
29. Washington Redskins (0-1) ~ Dating back to last season the Redskins are riding a nine-game losing streak. They have a great chance of snapping that this week as they will play host to the Jaguars.
30. Jacksonville Jaguars (0-1) ~ For one great half the Jaguars had the world stunned. Then the reverted back to the norm. As an Eagles fan all I can say is phew!
31. Oakland Raiders (0-1) The Raiders have now lost 14 straight games in the Eastern time zone. That's just weird.
32. St. Louis Rams (0-1) ~ Someone named Austin Davis was taking snaps in St. Louis. I'm willing to bet most Rams fans didn't know that name until Sunday.