Basketball Dribbling Drills - Ball Handling tips & training for beginners
This is how the Horse Stance appears, when you do it properly, depending on your balance, your height, and other factors of flexibility you may need to create more space or less to perform it correctly.
Dribbling Drills for beginners
- Learning how to dribble a basketball takes time and focus.
- Learn how to position your body correctly in the Horse Stance Position (Also a martial arts stance, and used in other sports).
- To get in the horse stance position - your feet must be at about a foot length more, then a shoulders width apart from one another.
- Both legs must be placed at 45 degree angles, so to provide ample support for lateral moves.
- Using your finger tips only, you will be sending the ball down to the ground, with up and down continuous fluid motions.
- This is done repeatedly so that such a motion can strengthen your forearms.
- Repetition is the key to dribbling, but be mindful of not over doing it, balance is also a huge importance, so take breaks often.
These following videos go into much more detail and full display
Taking a 30 second to a minute break while drilling
- Taking breaks are an essential part of becoming a good ball handler.
- If you notice every player on a great basketball team requires a breather.
- Sitting on the bench shouldn't be looked upon as a bad thing, just focus on your game if you get bench time, and drink plenty of water, but not to much during game play.
- Taking breaks also helps you regain strength in your muscles, ligaments, tendons, and joints.
The most basic fundamentals to work on for ball handling
Focusing on the basics to ball handling drills
- To become great at handling the basketball takes dedication & hard work.
- Stay focused at all times during your drilling, try not to be distracted by anyone.
- Drilling is a skill to develop, and its a build up from simple dynamic motions.
- Once your body aligns with this form of activity, you will notice a change occur.
- Basketball handling adaptation is that change, its when you will begin to sway, with the basketball fluidly, and easily without much thought or worry of losing it.
Learning more about the Horse stance, and cross over drill
Drinking Water Tips to help you remain hydrated
- Drinking water is an imperative if you're playing basketball or any sport.
- Make sure to drink slowly while you try to quench your thirst.
- Try not to drink flavored sports drinks, soda, or any alcoholic beverages, before attempting to do any basketball drills, it will take away from your oxygen levels.
- Don't forget to bring a water bottle to the basketball court.
- Beware of high heat conditions, anything over 90 degrees Fahrenheit, both indoors and outdoors, it isn't recommended to play or drill when it gets to hot.
- Use water to cool off if you ever overheat, passout, or get dehydrated.
Motions drills and the implementation of the cross over move
More sports articles and a college sports experience of true inspiration
- Manhattan College Jaspers B-Ball Player
Enjoying college is something many students may find difficult at times with all the studies they must do, if you find cool activities to get involved in it could make for an enjoyable experience.
- Basketball Drills physical mechanics and dynamics of...
In order to make it to the NBA, it takes a very unique basketball player, with skill, talent, movement, agility, knowledge, strength, and will power to keep winning games. Learning to get there is a tough road, but takes practice which is known as ba