- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
Best Boxing Books of All Time
Which Book is The Best?
Which is your favorite boxing book?
Boxing Book Rankings
10 Classic Boxing Books
1. Raging Bull: My Story by Jake La Motta and Peter Savage-Raging Bull is a book about the life of Jake La Motta. The book tells of his triumphs of the ring including winning The Middleweight Championship of the World. The book also tells about his personal life in particular his personal demons. This book is a no-holds-barred account of his criminal activities, divorce, jail time and even fixing a fight. On a scale of one to ten, I give this book a ten on a scale of 1-10.
2. Fire & Fear: The Inside Story of Mike Tyson by Jose Torres-Former Light Heavyweight Champion Jose Torres was in the Cus D'amato Stable and learned all about Mike Tyson. This book not only tells of Mike Tyson's rise to the top but, his criminal street life as well. The book does a great job of chronicling Tyson's professional boxing career. Where the book stands out is the chronological order of his life, or should I say strife. On a scale of one to ten, I rank this book a nine.
3. Muhammad Ali: His Life and Times by Thomas Hauser
-This book documents Muhammad Ali's rise to the top, in the boxing world. It has over fifty pictures of Muhammad Ali which document the life and times of his career. This is a tell all book that pulls no punches. The book is full of quotes from over fifty people who knew Ali very well. On a scale of one to ten, I rank this book a nine for many reasons including the interviews from other boxers.
4. My View From The Corner by Angelo Dundee-Angelo Dundee is one of the greatest trainers of all time. He trained Muhammad Ali, Sugar "Ray" Leonard and George Foreman, just to name a few. This legendary icon discusses He documents his life vividly and it is well documented in this book. He tells stories about the boxers/fighters, that only he would know. From the gym to the corner, Dundee lets it all hang out in this book. On a scale from one to ten, I give this book an 8.5.
5. Blood Season: Mike Tyson and The World of Boxing by Phil Berger-Blood Season not only tells of Mike Tyson but, it tells of other top boxers as well.What separates this book from other boxing books is, that it explores the Seedy Underworld of Boxing. The book looks at promoters such as Don King and also the life of Mike Tyson and what he goes through on a daily basis. On a scale of one to ten, I give the book an 8.5.
6. The Devil and Sonny Liston by Nick Tosches- This book covers the turbulent life of former heavyweight champion Sonny Liston. The book deals with Liston's mysterious and hard life. He had connections with the mob, he was accused of fight fixing, He destroyed Floyd Patterson in one round to win his titles and much more. On a scale of one to ten I give this book an 8.
7. Unforgiveable Blackness: The Rise and Fall of Jack Johnson by Geofrey Ward- This book has had a documentary film made based off of it and it centers on the life of Jack Johnson. Johnson was the first black heavyweight champion in history. This book also discusses his life and all he had to deal with outside the ring. Mainly racism. On a scale of one to ten I give this prizefighting book an 8.
8. The Book of Boxing edited by W.C. Heinz and Nathan Ward- This book is full of pictures and captions of great boxers from the hundred plus years of this storied sport. If you want a boxing history lesson then this is the book for you. From John L. Sullivan to Evander Holyfield this book takes you through pugilistic history. On a scale of one to ten I give this book an 8.
9. Holyfield: The Humble Warrior by Evander and Bernard Holyfield- This book tells of the life and career of The Real Deal Evander Holyfield. He was a former Cruiserweight and four time heavyweight champion of the world. He also won a bronze medal in the Olympics as a light heavyweight. On a scale of one to ten I would rate this book with a 7.75.
10. The Contender by Robert Lipsyte- This novel was published way back in 1967 by a great sports journalist and actor named Robert Lipsyte. The story is about a guy named Alfred who wants to make fame and fortune in life. The setting is New York and street toughs are everywhere. On a scale of one to ten I would give this book a 7.75.
* Please let me know if you have a favorite boxing related book by leaving your thoughts in the comments capsule located at the bottom of this article.
Raging Bull: My Story
view quiz statistics
Great Boxing Magazines
The Main Event
- Best Distance Fights in Boxing History
This boxing article documents the best boxing matches ever that went the 10,12 or 15 round distance. Including Evander Holyfield vs. Riddick Bowe 1 and Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 1. Pictures in blog.
- Rules That Govern Boxing
This article documents the rules for the sport of boxing. The standing 8 count, rabbit punches and the 10 point must system are featured in this hub. You tube videos, polls, maps, pictures and commentary are listed here as well. The winner of a round
- 25 Records in Boxing
This article is about records and facts to do with the sport of boxing. The Oldest and Youngest Champions are featured here as well as the longest reigning champions. You tube videos, pictures, polls, maps and commentary are also listed in this fact
- Complete Boxing Gym Workout
This article describes a total boxing gym workout. Stretching, speed bags, heavy bags and jump ropes are detailed in this exercise hub along with pictures, videos and commentary.
- Learning The Basics of Boxing
This boxing article describes the basics of Pugilism. The jab, footwork, basic defense and conditioning are listed in this hub. Pictures, videos and commentary are also in this blog.
- How To Build a Homemade Boxing Ring
This is an article describing in detail the steps to building a homemade boxing ring for your back yard. 4x4's, hammer and nails, rope and a drill are needed to start this task. Pictures, polls, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this
Best Boxing Books
Robert Lipsyte Interview
Birthplace of Jake La Motta
© 2013 Buster Johnson