Best United Kingdom Boxers of All Time
U.K. Legends of The Ring
The Dark Destroyer
United They Stand
1. Ted Kid Lewis: Lewis had an amazing 223 wins in his career with 41 losses and 80 bone breaking knockouts. Lewis was a Two Time Welterweight Champion of the World who beat Hall of Famer Johnny Britton for the Crown. He beat Steve Latzo, Johnny Griffiths and Frank Moody as a master of the squared circle. His Jab was a thing of beauty and many times he won bouts by simply feinting and then throwing the stick constantly to pile up the points and keep his foes off balance.
2. Jimmy Wilde: Wilde was one of the best Flyweight boxers and hardest punching boxers in history. His final career record was 138 wins, 5 losses, 2 draws and 100 knockouts. Wilde was a Welsh fighter and the first ever Flyweight Champion of Pugilism. Among others he beat Johnny Rosner, Young Zulu Kid and George Clarke.
3. Lennox Lewis: Lewis won the Gold medal in the Olympics and he was a three time Heavyweight Champion beating among others: Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson and Ray Mercer. Also, he rematched and knocked out the only two men to have beaten him. He had a superb jab and knockout power in both hands. He fought tall and used his long reach but he also fought well on the inside for a big man.
4. Joe Calzaghe: Calzaghe defended the 168 pound crown 20 times and then beat Bernard Hopkins for the light heavyweight title and then he defended it against Roy Jones before retiring undefeated with a record of 46-0. Also he defeated Chris Eubank, Mikkel Kessler and Byron Mitchell. Calzaghe had great reflexes and ultra fast hands to go along with an intense work rate.
5. Randy Turpin: Turpin was one of the top middleweights of the late 40's and early 1950's. He is best known for winning the undisputed 160 Pound Crown from the great Sugar Ray Robinson in 1951. Turpin was solid all the way around and his jab was as good as it gets.
6. Chris Eubank- Eubank was a former Middleweight and Super Middleweight Champion who never lost a fight as a 160 pound King. His final record was 45-5-2 with 23 knockouts and he was known for being outlandish in and out of the ring, similar to Prince Naseem.
7. Ken Buchanan: Buchanan had a resume representing Scotland of 61-8 with 27 knockout stoppages. He held the Lightweight belt from 1070-1972. Ken beat Ismael Laguna for the belt before succumbing to the great Roberto Duran. His footwork, timing and jab were solid. He always took on all comers and gave his all win or lose.
8. Nigel Benn: The Dark Destroyer was a former Middleweight and Super Middleweight Champ who beat Chris Eubank and Gerald McClellan during his terrifying reign. He could box but he had a strong tendency to brawl even when it wasn't necessary. Benn had gotten off the canvas a few times and still came back to win his matches.
9. Bob Fitzsimmons: This Irish boxer was boxing's first ever three division Champion. His record was 68-8-4 with 59 knockouts. He beat Nonpareil Jack Dempsey and James Corbett during his title reigns. He worked the body like no other during his time and he had a jerky jerky style similar actually to Michael Spinks.
10. Naseem Hamed: The Prince was one of boxing's hardest punching Featherweights ever. His final record reads 36-1 with 31 brutal knockouts. He has wins over Tom Johnson and Israel Vazquez. He had a very awkward style where he threw punches from all sorts of odd angles.
* Please let me know who you believe the best British boxer ever is and why by leaving your thoughts in the comments box located at the bottom of this page.
Who is The Best?
Who is The Best Boxer From The United Kingdom?
Links To Boxing
- Boxing's Best Finishers of All Time
This article is about the best finishers in boxing. in other words these guys can crack. If they get you hurt they usually end or finish the match. George Foreman, Lennox Lewis, Felix Trinidad, Julian Jackson and Earnie Shavers are documented in this
- Best U.S. Olympians in Boxing History
This article documents the best Olympians in U.S.History including Mark Brelands, Sugar Ray Leonard, Pscar De La Hoya and Muhammad Ali. Pictures, polls, maps video clips and commentary are also listed in this prizefighting hub.
- Brutal Rounds From Boxing Matches
This hub desribes ten different rounds from different bouts that were fierce such as round 1 of Tommy Hearns vs. Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed in this hub.
- Andre Ward: You Have To Respect This Boxer
Andre Ward is an Olympic gold medal winner and the super middleweight champion of the world. Pictures, commentary, videos and other facts and information about this superb boxer is listed here.
- Biggest Upsets in Boxing History
This article documents the biggest upsets in the history of prizefighting. Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson and George Foreman at age 45 beating Michael Moorer are featured in this hub. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are liste
- Best Puerto Rican Boxers of All Time
This article is about the top Puerto Rican fighters in boxing history. Felix Trinidad, Wilfred Benitez, Wilfredo Gomez and Miguel Cotto are documented in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps, a quiz and commentary are also l
- Best African Boxers of All Time
This article documents the best boxers to come out of Africa. Azumah Nelson, Ike Quartey, Brian Mitchell and Dick Tiger are featured in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this blog.
Birthplace of Joe Calzaghe
Joe Calzaghe Highlights
Lennox Lewis's Best Victories
Lewis has had many big wins during his career in boxing. Below is five of his best victories.
1. Lennox Lewis W12 Evander Holyfield- Clearly beat Holyfield in tough rematch. Took some good shots from a game Holyfield but his jab won the bout.
2. Lennox Lewis K.O. 8 Mike Tyson- Iron Mike was past his best but either way Lewis dominated and knocked him out. Lewis bloodied Tyson's face and left it swollen and puffy before delivering the finishing salvo.
3. Lennox Lewis W10 Ray Mercer- Lewis and Mercer exchanged bombs and Lewis emerged a razor thin winner. Lewis faced adversity against the determined former Gold medalist but came storming back every time he was hit.
4. Lennox Lewis K.O. 6 Vitali Klitscho- Lewis was stunned a couple times in the match but he ended using his jab to cut Klitscho up and earn a stoppage victory. Lewis landed solid uppercuts on the inside to tear up the Ukranian's face.
5. Lennox Lewis K.O. 1 Andrew Golota- Lewis rushed out of the corner and beat Golota senseless and to his knees in the corner in less than a minute. Golota tasted the power of the British born boxer and could not tae it.
© 2012 Buster Johnson