Best Canadian Boxers of All Time
Legendary Canadian Prizefighters
Who is The Best?
Who is the best Canadian boxer ever?
Ten of Canada's Best Pugilists
1. Sam Langford (179-30-40, 128 KO): Langford is almost universally known as the best boxer that never won a world title. Ring magazine ranks him as the second hardest puncher in boxing history. The Boston Bone crusher stood under 5 ft 8 inches tall but still pounded on heavyweights till they fell. His bouts took place from lightweight all the way up to the heavies. Among his victims were: Fireman Jim Flynn, Harry Wills and Sam McVea. His power was outstanding but his accuracy was vaunted as well. Langford used both hands to the head and body to brutalize his opponents.
2. Jimmy McClarnin (54-11-3, 21KO): McClarnin held the welterweight crown on two separate occasions beating Young Corbett 3 and Barney Ross for those laurels. He was inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame and was boxer with a slugger mentality. Among his victories were wins over: Barney Ross, Lou Ambers and Tony Canzoneri. McClarnin possessed an excellent jab and he was accurate with strait punches and adept at infighting when necessary. McLarnin was a master at using feints which he mixed in with jabs to near perfection. McClarnin actually had lots of talent but when he got tagged he wanted to brawl.
3. George Dixon (65-30-53, 34KO): Dixon was the first black champion and the first ever Canadian boxing Champion. He won the Bantamweight and Featherweight World titles during his illustrious ring career. He held the featherweight crown eight years. Among his top victories were wins over: Eddie Pierce, Tommy White and Abe Willis. His jab and feints to go along with his footwork and timing made him hard to hit solidly. Dixon was far ahead of his time and he baffled many of his foes who were inferior in the skills department.
4. Lou Brouillard (109-29-3, 67 KO): Brouillard won the World Welterweight title by 15 round decision over Young Jack Thompson and made three successful defenses. He was a boxer- puncher with power in either hand. Among his biggest victories were wins over: Young Jack Thompson, Jimmy McClarnin and Al Gainer. Brouillard fought the best of his era while he was in his prime and never ducked a challenge.
5. Tommy Burns (43-5-9, 34KO): Burns is Canada's only heavyweight champion ever. He was inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame in 1996 and as his record shows he was a hard puncher. He fought as a middleweight and as a heavyweight winning the latter in 20 rounds over Marvin Hart. His best victories have came against: Fireman Jim Flynn, Jack O Brian and Bill Squires. The biggest thing that stands out about this prizefighter was his stamina which had to be excellent to box in 20 round distance fights.
6. George Chuualo (73-18-2, 64KO): He is known for having one of if not the best chins in boxing history. Even though he never won the heavyweight title he is still a legendary fighter in his own right. He tangled with the best and never once did he ever taste the canvas. His biggest victories have come against: Willi Besmanoff, Doug Jones and Jerry Quarry. In any other era of heavyweight boxing especially nowadays with fractured titles Chuvalo would have definitely been a heavyweight title holder at least. Chuvalo tangled with some of the best heavyweights in history including: Muhammad Ali, George Foreman and Joe Frazier.
7. Arturo Gatti (40-9, 31KO): Gatti was known for his heart and courage more than anything else. He has been in several fight of the year and rounds of the year because of his all action style. He was the real life Rocky because he would come back from the brink for the win. Gatti has held the Jr. Lightweight and the Jr. Welterweight belts. His best wins have come against Gabriel Ruelas, Tracy Harris Patterson and Mickey Ward. Some have called him the human highlight reel because of his dramatic boxing matches. Gatti could have done even more but he died prematurely.
8. Jake Delaney (77-12-2, 43KO): Aside from Sam Langford, Delaney had the best footwork in Canadian prizefight history. Delaney avenged a loss and won the 175 pound championship by beating Paul Berlenbach. The best victories on his fight resume are: Tommy Loughran, Paul Berlenbach and Tiger Flowers. Delaney knew how to slip and ride the punches and he was rarely hit with ultimate for.
9. Mysterious Billy Smith (30-24-26, 22KO): Smith won the Welterweight title two times and was inducted into the Boxing Hall of Fame in 2009. He was known for having quick hands but also for being a dirty fighter. Smith's top wins have came against: Joe Walcott, Young Bailey and Young Peter Jackson. He could fight from a distance well and he liked leaping in with two at a time.
10. Razor Rudduck (38-5-1, 29KO): Ruddock never won the heavyweight crown but that's because Mike Tyson and Lennox Lewis were in the era. Razor was a devastating power puncher with his left hand. Just ask Michael Dokes whom Razor laid out for over 5 minutes. Razor Ruddock's best victories have came against: Mike Weaver, Michael Dokes and Greg Page. Rudduck fought the best of his era and he always showed heart and power.
Medicine Balls on Amazon
Canadian Boxer Sam Langford
Sam Langford Highlights
Arturo Gatti's Top Opponents
Oscar De La Hoya
Jesse James Leija
Tracy Harris Patterson
view quiz statistics
- Best Boxers of the 1960s
The 1960's produced great prizefighters such as Muhammad Ali, Carlos Ortiz and Emile Griffith. These boxers along with others are featured in this article along with pictures, videos and commentary.
- Best Puerto Rican Boxers of All Time
This article is about the top Puerto Rican fighters in boxing history. Felix Trinidad, Wilfred Benitez, Wilfredo Gomez and Miguel Cotto are documented in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps, a quiz and commentary are also l
- Best Mexican Boxers of All Time
This article is about the Top Mexican fighters in boxing history. Julio Cesar Chavez, Salvadore Sanchez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez are documented in this Hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are
- Best African Boxers of All Time
This article documents the best boxers to come out of Africa. Azumah Nelson, Ike Quartey, Brian Mitchell and Dick Tiger are featured in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this blog.
- Best United Kingdom Boxers of All Time
This article documents the best Fighters from the United Kingdom. Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe, Henry Cooper and Jimmy Wilde are featured in this pugilistic hub. You tube videos, polls, pictures, maps and commentary are also listed in this hub. Lennox
- Boxing's Most Outrageous Characters
This article documents some of boxing's wildest characters including Don King, Mike Tyson, Naseem Hamed and Hector Camacho. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube clips and commentary are also featured in this hub along with other facts and information on t
George Chuvalo Highlights
© 2013 Buster Johnson