- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
Best Ring Announcers in Boxing History
Who Do You Like Best?
Who is your favorite Boxing ring announcer?
Boxing on DVD
10 Legendary Voices in Boxing
There are many great ring announcers but, the ten on the list below stand out for their own reasons. I hope you enjoy my list and feel Free to Lear comments and tell me who your favorite ring announcer is in the sport of boxing.
1. Michael Buffer (1982) Buffer coined the phrase, Let's Get Ready To Rumble, and made boxing an event when he spoke. His voice carried and sounded important. He has announced hundreds of championship fights not to mention all the other cards. He was used by Top Rank and HBO for every major fight for over 30 years. Also,Buffer has announced countless wrestling events on Pay Per Views for the WWE. Buffer has patented his signature phrase and it can't be used without his consent. He is special in his field and when he talks he really gets the fans revved up. Mr. Buffer is known for his announcing skills.
2. Jimmy Lennon, Jr. (1980) He is primarily the ring announcer for the Showtime network. He has a great catch phrase which is, It's Showtime! It was awesome because the lights would go dark and then when he said his phrase the arena would light up. He promoted some of Mike Tyson and Julio Cesar Chavez"s biggest fights. Lennon, Jr. Is still going strong and along with Michael Buffer he is the voice of boxing over the last thirty years. He also likes to say about certain fighters, Tyson and Mayweather, while introducing them, "Really needing no introduction the world over".
3. Johnny Addie (1942) Addie was the voice of boxing from 1948 until 1962. He called fights featuring Rocky Marciano, Carmen Basilio, George Foreman and more. He worked over 100 World Title bouts and hundreds of club shows as well. For almost thirty years his voice carried the sport as far announcing the fight card goes. He was very personable and he really got you prepared for the action by stating facts and statistics of the prizefighters.
4. Chuck Hull (1962) Hull called fights in Las Vegas, Nevada from 1962 until he retired in 1995. He has called a record 131 title fights and over four hundred non title affairs. He has called bouts featuring Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson, George Foreman and Pernell Whitaker. His delivery is clear and easy to understand. He was a tireless announcer that always seemed to be calling fight cards all over.
5. Mark Beiro (1992) Beiro has called fights for USA Tuesday Night Fights, ESPN Top Rank Boxing and also on HBO Boxing after dark. He has called bouts featuring Riddick Bowe, Ray Mercer, Vinnie Paz, Roberto Duran and Mike Tyson. It's easy to understand his delivery and he says it in a way that makes you perk up and listen which is awesome because it prepares the viewer for the bout.
6. Ed Derian (1980) Derian has called fights for ABC Wide World of Sports, Tuesday Night Fights, HBO and Showtime. He has announced bouts involving Ray Mancini, Larry Holmes, Roberto Duran and Tommy Morrison among others in his distinguished career announcing big time fights. He has an outstanding voice and his announcements were colorful and animated.
7. Jimmy Lennon, Sr. (1942) Lennon called boxing fights for years on black and white and color television. He has called fights involving Sugar Ray Robinson, Jake La Motta and Rocky Graziano not to mention he was the ring announcer in Raging Bull and Rocky 3. His son has had an exceptional career calling the fights from the squared circle for Showtime.
8. Harry Carpenter (1950) Carpenter announced and commentated on British bouts from 1950 until he retired in 1994. He covered Tennis and Golf but Prizefighting was his specialty. Harry covered bouts involving Lennox Lewis, Marvin Hagler, Frank Bruno, Alan Minter and Steve Collins. His voice was very loud and it carried deftly throughout the fight venues. A true man of the sport who always called people out if they did something unethical or wrong whether it be bad judging or worse.
9. Paul Dempsey (1990) Dempsey is a legend in British boxing because he announced fights for Sky Sports from 1990 until 2006. Among those great fighters that he called fights for were Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, Joe Calzaghe, Lennox Lewis, Frank Bruno and Naseem Hamed.
10. Joe Antonacci (1990) This guy has announced fighters on HBO, Showtime, NBC, ESPN and all over the internet as well. He has announced boxers from Top Rank, Golden Boy and Goosen Tutor. He still has time in his career to blossom into a true legend because his announcing voice is amazing to say the least.
* Share your favorite ring announcer with me by leaving comments in the box located at the bottom of this article.
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
Jimmy Lennon, Jr. Highlights
Has He Announced Him?
view quiz statistics
- Best Boxers of The 1970s
Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran and Carlos Monzon are among the top prizefighters from the 1970s. Their careers along with other great boxers are featured in this hub along with commentary.
- Boxers With The Best Uppercuts of All Time
Mike Tyson, George Foreman and Juan Manuel Marquez all know how to throw a perfect uppercut. In this hub, Pictures, videos, commentary and a poll are listed along with other facts about boxing.
- Bizarre Moments Inside a Boxing Ring
This prizefighting hub illustrates some of the oddest moments inside the squared circle. Mike Tyson bit Evander twice on his ears. Pictures, video and commentary are in this article.
- Boxing's Largest Pay Per Views of All Time
This article documents the biggest Pay Per View Events in Boxing history. Floyd Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya, Mike Tyson and Evander Holyfield all took part in the largest grossing prizefights in the sports history. You tube videos, pictures, maps, p
- Boxing's Best Commentators of All Time
This article is about the top commentators and men behind the mic in boxing. Larry Merchant, Al Bernstein, Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman are documented in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are listed here.
- Boxing's Wildest Press Conferences
This article is about the best press conferences in boxing history. Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, Riddick Bowe and Ricardo Mayorga are documented in this prizefighting hub. Polls, you tube videos, pictures, commentary and found here.
- Boxing Tribute: Three Legends Lost
This blog documents three very important and beloved members of the fight game who passed away recently. Emmanuel Steward, Bert Sugar and Angelo Dundee are featured in this hub along with pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary.
Michael Buffer Doing His Thing
Announce It Right
These announcers use their tongues in a great way with all the sounds and hyphens that you expect for names from different countries.
Many announcers are required to speak multiple languages when introducing prizefighters for ring action.
Birthplace of Michael Buffer
© 2013 Buster Johnson