- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
Boxing Pound for Pound 2013
The Best Regardless of Weight Class
Who is The Best Fighter
Who is the best pound for pound boxer for 2013?
The Best of the Best
1. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.: Although Miguel Cotto was his only opponent he still won nearly every round of the fight. And his record speaks for itself over the last several years to merit him remaining number one. Mayweather has a defense that makes him easily the top dog in boxing. His lead is not one sided because Andre Ward is looking magnificent as well. Money does everything well and he rarely loses more than one or two rounds in 12 round bouts. Record: 43-0, twenty six knockouts. Next Fight: Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero. Money May is a master defensive boxer with excellent countering skills and speed.
2. Andre Ward: Ward has moved up on this list based on Manny Pacquiao's fall and of course, his awesome body of work. Ward has dominated Carl Froch, Chad Dawson, Mikkel Kessler and Arthur Abraham. Dominated. His subtle defensive moves makes him hard to hit cleanly and his perfect timing and overall skill level is elite. Not a knockout artist but he is accurate and can win by stoppage so do not be fooled. Next up: TBA
3. Sergio Martinez: He has earned his stripes as a Middleweight and Jr. Middleweight. I remember when he fought Alex Bunema and was seen as an underdog by the broadcast booth. Times have changed. He went on to dominate him and many others including J.C. Chavez, Jr. (undefeated at the time), and Mathew Macklin in 2012. Let us not forget what he did to Paul Williams, Darren Barker and Serhiy Dzinziruk. Martinez has athletic skills, great stamina and a tremendous amount of self belief. Next up: Martin Murray.
4. Nonito Donaire: His 2012 campaign was astonishing. He moves up the list to number four based on his easy wins attained against four top level fighters including Toshiaki Nishioka, Wilfredo Vazquez, Jr., Jeffrey Mathebula and Jorce Arce. Also, we need not forget about the crushing knockouts of Fernando Montiel and Hernan Marquez or, even further back the destruction of Vic Darchinyan which absolutely shocked the boxing world. Donaire is athletic and skilled but his bread and butter is his deadly power especially in his left hand. Next up: Guillermo Rigondeaux.
5. Juan Manuel Marquez: Other than the Mayweather fight this man has been awesome and dramatic. He knocked out Manny Pacquiao and he has beat a host of other good boxers in between such as Juan Diaz, Joel Casaymayor, Marco Antonio Barrera and Orlando Salido. He is one of the best counter punchers in boxing history and he isn't done yet. Next up: TBA.
6. Adrien Broner: "The Problem" has talent and he showed it in his last few bouts. He beat Daniel Ponce De Leon, Antonio DeMarco, Vicente Escobedo and Eloy Perez. He has it all, speed, power, reflexes and a great defense. If he has solid whiskers he is going to be really hard to beat. Up Next: Gavin Rees.
7. Wladimir Klitschko: "Dr. Steelhammer", has finally come into his own as a Heavyweight Champion. His division may not be what it once was but, he still tears through the competition like he is fighting amateur boxers. Lately, he has beaten Mariusz Wach (undefeated), David Haye, Sam Peter and Tony Thompson. And he beat them with ease. Next Up: TBA.
8. Carl Froch: If Froch hadn't been dominated by Andre Ward he would be ranked higher but, he accomplished plenty otherwise. Among this ruthless British fighter's victims were Lucian Bute, Andre Dirrell, Jean Pascal and Jermaine Taylor. He has great stamina, heart and solid power to go with his boxer puncher style. Up Next: Mikkel Kessler.
9. Manny Pacquiao:"The Pac Man", slipped down the list because of a knockout loss to Juan Manuel Marquez, a debatable win over Marquez and a loss to Timothy Bradley. Most boxing critics and observers thought he beat Timothy Bradley and his body work speaks for itself. He has wins over Antonio Margarito, Sugar Shane Mosley, Erik Morales, Oscar De La Hoya, Miguel Cotto and Marco Antonio Barrera. Next Up: TBA.
10. Tim Bradley: He is undefeated and although his win over Pacquiao was bogus his other wins are not. Bradley has beat Devon Alexander (undefeated), Lamont Peterson and Joel Casamayor. His hard work ethic has got him where he is even more than his skill level. He has shown heart by getting up from two knock downs from Kendall Holy and still squeaked out the victory. Up Next: Ruslan Provodnikov.
Adrien Broner's Greatest Hits
- The Most Famous American Boxers in History
Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, George Foreman and Sugar Ray Leonard are featured in this article about the most popular prizefighters of all time. Pictures, videos and commentary are listed here.
- Best Boxers of The 1930's
This boxing article features 1930's greats such as Joe Louis, Barney Ross, Henry Armstrong and Tony Canzoneri. Pictures, commentary and videos are listed in this hub along with other information.
- Boxing's Pound for Pound for 2012
This article is about the top pound for pound boxers for 2012. Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Wladimir Klitschko and Sergio Martinez are featured in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are li
- Boxing's Best Middleweights in History
This article is about the top middleweight fighters in boxing history. Marvin HAGLER, Sugar Ray Robinson, Harry Greb and Bernard Hopkins are listed in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are also featured in this hub on pr
- Most Bizzare Moments Inside a Boxing Ring
This prizefighting hub illustrates some of the oddest moments inside the squared circle. Mike Tyson bit Evander twice on his ears. Pictures, video and commentary are in this article.
- Boxing's Best Welterweights of All Time
This article is about the top welterweight fighters in boxing history.Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar Ray Robinson, Felix Trinidad and Henry Armstrong are featured in this blog. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are also listed in this h
- Boxing's Best Chins of All Time
This article is about the boxers that have the best chins or ability to absorb a shot. Jake La Motta, Mike Tyson, Marvin Hagler and Muhammad Ali are featured in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed
Birthplace of Nonito Donaire
Andre Ward's Greatest Hits
Andre Ward is an Olympic Gold Medalist and an outstanding Super Middleweight champion in the pro ranks. SOG=Son of God.
He has beaten Mikke. Kessler, Carl Froch, Chad Dawson and Arthur Abraham just to name a few during his amazing career so far with a blend of offense and defense that is hard to cope with.
© 2013 Buster Johnson