- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
Boxing Wish List For 2014
Bouts That Should Be...
Which is the biggest problem in boxing?
Light Heavyweight Showdown
Five Dream Fights I Wish Would Happen
1. Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao: Pacman and Money Mayweather will probably never fight but it would be the most anticipated bout in years. It would easily shatter all revenue records and it would be somewhat competitive. In the end, Mayweather's defensive prowess would carry the day in a close, unanimous decision victory. The fight would be high drama from the press conference to the fight to the aftermath. Chance of Happening: 10% Update: The fight did eventually happen with Floyd Mayweather Jr., winning by a wide unanimous decision.
2. Andre Ward vs. Gennady Golovkin: This matchup is a classic and it could happen in the near future although 2015 is more likely. Andre Ward is highly skilled defensively and his offensive is top notch also. Triple G is a power puncher but he has subtle defensive moves as well. This bout could go either way but Ward should definitely be a slight favorite to win a decision. Tripe G is fast and accurate but Ward is very hard to hit cleanly. Chance of Happening: 50% Update: This bout never happened, and now Andre Ward is a Light Heavyweight.
3. Mikey Garcia vs. Guillermo Rigondeaux: The ultimate battle of boxer- puncher vs. supreme boxer. This bout is a hard one to call. It could be a toss up if Rigo has issues taking Garcia's punches. On the other hand, I envision Rigondeaux winning a close and competitive decision once he finds the correct range and distance. Garcia is highly skilled but Rigo is an A+ boxer who rarely gets hit. Chance of Happening: 60% Update Rigondeaux is still undefeated and Garcia has not fought in two years.
4. Deontay Wilder vs. Wladimir Klitscho: Many people will think I'm crazy but The Bronze Bomber can and would shock everyone if this fight happened. I may be biased cause I'm from Alabama but on the other hand we watch him up close and we know he is the goods. He definitely has the power but he has speed, height, reach and athleticism to match Klitscho. His confidence and reach would allow him to get to the always shaky chin of the Ukraine boxing legend. Wilder by upset knockout win in the mid to late rounds. Chance of Happening: 80% Wilder is now WBC Champion and Klitscho is no longer World Champion, having lost his title to Tyson Fury.
5. Adonis Stevenson vs. Sergei Kovalev: This one is a hard call because either man can end a fight in an instant with either fists. I'm going with Superman over Krusher because he has more experience fighting the best contenders and champions. Believe it or not I think Stevenson will win by late knockout or a close but clear decision in a brutal bout. Chance of Happening: 70%
* Which fight not listed above do you most want to see in 2014? You can share your thoughts in the comments box at the bottom of this prizefighting hub.
Unified Boxing Rules
No Three Knockdown Rule
Boxer Cant Be Saved a By Bell
Accidental Butts Go To Cards After 4 Rounds
Standing 8- Count in Effect
Only Referee Can Stop Fight
Standard Boxing Rules Also Apply
The Sweet Science
Classic 15 Round Bouts.....
Five Changes That Need To Happen
1. Return To 15 Round Title bouts: One of the best things about the good old days of boxing was that championship fights were scheduled for 15 rounds. Countless boxing matches were decided and had their most memorable moments in the 13-15 rounds. Also, Many 12 round controversies could have been avoided with a 15 round distance. An example is the Marvelous Marvin Hagler vs. Sugar Ray Leonard and Felix Trinidad vs. De La Hoya bouts.
2. Hold Judges Accountable: One problem that persist in boxing and always has is bad decisions. When a judge hands in a horrendous scorecard he should have to go before a commission and explain his actions. To many times the wrong boxer gets the decision. Hometown decisions or paid off judges or whatever it is has got to stop.
3. Suspend Bad Referee's: Referee's have a tough job and boxer safety is their first concern. However, To many fights involve ref's who miss calls such as low blows and head butts. Proper training classes headed by top ref's would help to educate these coaches correctly. If a ref had two bad nights he should be reprimanded in some form.
4. Stop Mismatches: It's understandable to build a novice boxer by letting him fight lower level competition but boxing features far too many bouts where the outcome seems predetermined. Not to mention if fighter A is levels above fighter B then fighter B could end up getting seriously hurt. Besides mismatches hurt the sports fan base which is a shame because boxing is a wonderful sport.
5. End The Promoter Cold War: Top fights can't be made because Golden Boy and Top Rank, the two largest promoters in the sport, do not want to do business with each other. These childish antics are robbing fans of quality matches that need to be signed. A prime example is the Mayweather and Pacquiao bout that is filled with road blocks. Even the boxing networks of HBO and Showtime have gotten into this bologna.
Boxing Gloves on Amazon
- Boxing's Best Chins of All Time
This article is about the boxers that have the best chins or ability to absorb a shot. Jake La Motta, Mike Tyson, Marvin Hagler and Muhammad Ali are featured in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed
- Pictorial History of Boxing's Welterweight Division
The top welterweight fighters ever are documented in this hub along with photos, videos and other facts and information. Sugar Ray Robinson and Leonard are listed here. As well as Henry Armstrong.
- Brutal Rounds From Boxing Matches
This hub desribes ten different rounds from different bouts that were fierce such as round 1 of Tommy Hearns vs. Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed in this hub.
- Boxing's Blood and Guts Warriors
This article is about the top boxing Warriors ever. Arturro Gatti, Mickey Ward, Diego Corrales, Evander Holyfield and Rocky Graziano are documented in this hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls, commentary and links to other boxing related hubs
- Boxing's Best Heavyweights of All Time
This article is about the top heavyweight boxers in history. Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano and Evander Holyfield are listed in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are also in this prize fighting hub.
Gennady Golovkin's Greatest Highlights
© 2014 Buster Johnson