Boxing's Best Chins of All Time
Boxers with Great Whiskers
Legendary Shock Absorbers
The boxers on the list below have proven that they have great beards because they were still standing after absorbing bombs from knockout punchers in the sport of boxing. Feel free to leave comments in the comment box at the bottom of this article.
1. Jake La Motta: The Raging Bull never fell down in over a hundred fights till his final fight when he was far past his best. He took Sugar Ray Robinson's Bombs for six fights without falling down. Jake took the best shots of all the best middleweights and light heavyweights of his era without flinching including Robinson, Holman Williams, and Marcel Cerdan. LaMotta was not just a punching bag, however, LaMotta knew how to slip and roll with shots and he had boxing skills in many areas.
2. Julio Cesar Chavez: Chavez was not floored until his 90th fight and even then it was the 11th round and he got up quickly and was not hurt. He took the best shots from Roger Mayweather, Edwin Rosario, Mario Martinez, Meldrick Taylor and Rafael Limon and then knocked out each man. In some cases Chavez took several bombs of leather right down the pipe and didn't even flinch. Not only could he take it he could dish it out as well. Chavez had a devastating right hand and a deadly left hook to the body.
3. Marvelous Marvin Hagler: Hagler took all the best bombs of Tommy Hearns, Roberto Duran, John Mugabi and Vito Antuofermo and still did not budge. In 67 professional bouts Hagler never even wobbled hard. Hagler not only took big shots but when he did he jumped back into the line of fire instantly every time. Hagler took knockout blows from some beasts and always launched a painful assault in return.
4. Rocky Marciano: The Brockton Blockbuster was dropped twice in 49 fights and those were off balance knockdowns and he came back to flatten both men, Archie Moore and Jersey Joe Walcott. Rocky took solid bombs from Walcott, Moore, Joe Louis and Ezzard Charles and walked right through them. Marciano also dealt with cuts and major bleeding during many of his biggest matches.
5. George Chuvalo: The Canadian Iron Man never once tasted the canvas in 93 bouts. He went the distance twice with Muhammad Ali and took all George Foreman and Joe Frazier could dish out and kept coming hard. He oddly seemed to improve and box better after he would take some horrific shots.
6. Carmen Basilio: Basilio had 79 fights and was never counted out. He was stopped twice on cuts but took all the best shots Sugar Ray Robinson could launch for 30 total rounds of action plus he took the best shots of Tony De Marco, Gene Fullmer and Ike Williams. Basilio literally ran into knockout punches yet stayed on his feet.
7. Muhammad Ali: Ali was dropped twice in his career once by Henry Cooper, who he knocked out in the following round and once by Joe Frazirerin the 15th round but he got up dancing on his toes. Ali took the best shots of Frazier three times, Ken Norton three times, George Foreman and the Hard Punching Sonny Liston. Ali also avoided big bombs by dancing, slipping and rolling with the shots.
8. Sugar Ray Robinson: Sugar Ray was only stopped once in 200 fights. Robinson took the best of Carmen Basiolio, Jake La Motta six times, Gene Fullmer, Kid Gavilan, Rocky Graziano and BoBo Olsen. His chin was sturdy and when he was dropped he was up and firing back in seconds. Robinson took on the best of the 1940's and 50's and shook off all of their power shots.
9. Daniel Zaragoza: Zaragoza took the best shots from the best fighters for 20 years without being counted out. Eril Morales, Jeff Fenech, Tracy Patterson and Wayne McCullough all landed numerous flush shots to his chin without The Mouse so much as blinking. Zaragoza also had talent and lots of heart which he showed time and time again inside those ropes.
10. James Toney: Toney fought from middleweight to heavyweight and took the best shots of Sam Peter, Evander Holyfield, Iran Barkley and Roy Jones without ever appearing hurt in over 80 fights in the squared circle. Although he focuses on defense he still absorbed major bombs here and their and walked through them. Toney could dish it out and take it with no problem whatsoever.
Iron Chinned George Chuvalo
More Steel Chinned Prizefighters
These boxers have shown time and time again that they can take big shots to the chops and come right back firing off their own assault.
11. Mike Tyson
12. Randal Tex Cobb
13. Oliver McCall
14. Evander Holyfield
15. Gene Fullmer
16. Kid Gavilan
17. Harry Greb
18. Sam Langford
19. Shane Mosley
20. George Foreman
Marvelous Marvin Hagler VS Hitman Hearns
Who has the top beard?
Who has the best chin in boxing history?
Boxing on DVD
Rocky Marciano could take it and Give It
Where was he born?
view quiz statistics
- Biggest Upsets in Boxing History
This article documents the biggest upsets in the history of prizefighting. Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson and George Foreman at age 45 beating Michael Moorer are featured in this hub. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are liste
- Boxing Gym Equipment and It's Uses
This article describes boxing training equipment and what it's used for. Speed bags, heavy bags, double end bags and punch mitts are listed in this hub along with videos and pictures.
- How To Build a Homemade Boxing Ring
This is an article describing in detail the steps to building a homemade boxing ring for your back yard. 4x4's, hammer and nails, rope and a drill are needed to start this task. Pictures, polls, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this
- Best One Punch Knockouts in Boxing History
This boxing article documents the top one hitter quitters in boxing history. George Foreman flattening Gerry Cooney, Glen Johnson crushing Roy Jones and Mike Tyson paralyzing Michael Spinks are featured in this hub along with you tube videos, picture
- Boxing's Best Southpaw Fighters of All Time
This article is about the top left handed fighters in boxing history. Manny Pacquiao, Pernell Whitaker and Marvelous Marvin Hagler are listed in this hub. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are featured in this prizefighting hub.
- Boxing's Hardest Puncher's of All Time
This article is about the hardest Puncher's in the history of boxing. Julian Jackson, Tommy Hearns, George Foreman and Archie Moore are highlighted in this hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed in this hub.
Birth Place of Jake La Motta
© 2012 Buster Johnson