Boxing's Best Jabs of All Time
Pictures of Great Fighters
Legends of the Game
1. Larry Holmes: The Easton Assassin was a master at the stick. He won many of his fights with his jab alone. He held the title for seven years and defended it twenty times. The jab help set up his straight right and his uppercut. He could snap it out very fast or use it as a range finder. Either way it was fast, accurate and it was powerful as it was known for swelling eyes and opening cuts on his opponents faces. Among others Homes has beaten Ken Norton, Muhammad Ali, Ray Mercer and Gerry Cooney.
2. Joe Louis: The Brown Bomber threw his jab like some boxers throw a right hand. It was hard and accurate. He used his stick to set up his great combination punching. Louis holds the record for most Title defenses with 25. Louis has scored several knock downs with his jab alone. Louis used double jabs and jabs to the body very well and his stick has helped him win many bouts. Louis beat Jersey Joe Walcott, Joey Maxim, Max Schmeling and Max Baer during his fantastic ring career.
3. Sugar Ray Robinson: Sugar Ray is considered the best fighter ever and on offense his jab started it all. He was great at feinting the jab and excellent and throwing multiple jabs to set up his deadly bombs. Robinson has pulled fights out of the bag by just sticking to his footwork and his stick. He was excellent and mixing jabs to the head and body and hooking off the jab too! Robinson has victories over Rocky Graziano, Carmen Basilio, Kid Gavilan, Jake La Motta and Gene Fullmer just to name a few.
4. Willie Pep: The Will of the Wisp as he was called was a brilliant boxer and a defensive wiz. His jab was not very hard but, it was pesky and accurate. If Pep only used his jab in his bouts, he still would be a Featherweight Boxing Legend. Pep out boxed Sandy Saddler and Chalky Wright to win his Featherweight World Championship.
5. Benny Leonard: Leonard is one of the finest Lightweight Champions in history. His boxing skill and power are his biggest assets. His jab was a pole and it left opponents confused and open to Benny's deadly right cross. Leonard was known to wobble and bust up his opposition with his hard jab before closing the show with his follow up.
6. Muhammad Ali: Ali was known to dance on his toes flicking out jabs and piling up points. Ali had speed, reflexes and a great jab, which enabled him to win many fights without receiving much damage himself. His jab provided more of a defense for Ali than his head movement and blocking did.
7. Pernell Whitaker: Sweet Pea used his stiff jab as defense as much as he ever did for offense. Whitaker had the best southpaw jab ever seen and it blinded opponents from getting set to throw their own punches. Many of his bouts were won with the jab alone as far as offense goes. Whitaker jabbed up and down and used feints to control his foes' movements in the squared circle.
8. Sugar Ray Leonard: Leonard had a masterful jab that was good enough to control Roberto Duran, Tommy Hearns and Marvin Hagler. Sugar Ray was known to throw 30 sticks per round in some bouts. The jab was Leonard's bread and butter during his prime. Leonard jabbed to the head and body with perfect timing and sometimes would throw four and five in rapid fire combination.
9. Ezzard Charles: The Cincinnati Cobra was the best Light Heavyweight Champion in history and his boxing skills were second to none. Ezzard had a long, hard jab that kept great fighters at bay for long stretches at a time. He used his stick in different ways and shot it out from odd angles, sometimes the jab was hard and sometimes fast.
10. Tommy Hearns: The Hitman was a murderous puncher but, when it was time to box a smart fight Hearns had a long and deadly jab that was accurate. Between his power and his jab which he used to set up his power, he was almost, unbeatable. Hearns used his range finder to punish Sugar Ray Leonard (Second Bout) and Roberto Duran.
Sugar Ray vs. Hit Man
Who has the best Stick?
Who has the best jab in boxing history?
- How To Build a Homemade Boxing Ring
This is an article describing in detail the steps to building a homemade boxing ring for your back yard. 4x4's, hammer and nails, rope and a drill are needed to start this task. Pictures, polls, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this
- Boxing's Best Chins of All Time
This article is about the boxers that have the best chins or ability to absorb a shot. Jake La Motta, Mike Tyson, Marvin Hagler and Muhammad Ali are featured in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed
- Best United Kingdom Boxers of All Time
This article documents the best Fighters from the United Kingdom. Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe, Henry Cooper and Jimmy Wilde are featured in this pugilistic hub. You tube videos, polls, pictures, maps and commentary are also listed in this hub. Lennox
- Boxing's Best Featherweights of All Time
This article is about the top featherweight fighters in boxing history. Willie Pep, Marco Antonio Barrerra and Sandy Saddler are featured in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are also listed in this hub.
- Boxing's Pound for Pound for 2012
This article is about the top pound for pound boxers for 2012. Floyd Mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Andre Ward, Nonito Donaire, Wladimir Klitschko and Sergio Martinez are featured in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are li
- Boxing's Best Jr. Welterweights of All Time
This article focuses on the top junior welterweight fighters in boxing history. Aaron Pryor, Julio Cesar Chavez and Oscar De La Hoya are featured in this blog. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this prize fighti
Larry Holmes knocks out Mike Weaver
Boxing Head Gear
Birth place of Larry Holmes
Muhammad Ali has won many fights with his jab alone. It was fast, accurate and hard. Ali even counter punched with his stiff jab. The stick was his bread and butter. Ali used the jab to set up his strait right and he also would throw quick left hooks while working off the jab. In his prime Ali piled up points with his stick and follow up strait right.
© 2012 Buster Johnson