Boxing's Best Promoters of All Time
Only in America....Don King
1. Don King (Don King Productions): King has been promoting fights since the early 70s. He has promoted Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, George Foreman, Julio Cesar Chavez and Mike Tyson over the years. Don King was born in Cleveland, Ohio in 1931. He was investigated by the FBI for organized crime. He has been charged for killing two men. Each incident was thirteen years apart. The first was ruled justifiable homicide, the second one King was charged with Second Degree Murder but, it was later changed to Manslaughter and he spent four years in prison. King is a true salesman, an actor, who was able to persuade the King Of Zaire to stage The Muhammad Ali vs. George Foreman Fight. From the Rumble in the Jungle til now Don King has been a force in boxing. He has been inducted into The Boxing Hall of Fame. King has had a hand in promoting some of the most notable boxers in history including, Ali, Tyson, Julio Cesar Chavez, Larry Holmes, Roberto Duran, Joe Frazier, Bernard Hopkins, Meldrick Taylor, Felix Trinidad, Terry Norris, Carlos Zarate, Evander Holyfield and Azumah Nelson, just to name a few. Some people do not like Don King but he sure staged some of Boxing's biggest and best bouts ever made. He was definitely a controversial figure to say the bare minimum. Don King is famous because of his hair also. The way his hair sticks up is something that can not be easily forgotten. Say what you want but Don King was able to get matches made and things done.
Through all the good and bad Don has always been in the limelight and he is without a doubt one of the most successful promoters in the history of this business. He always tried to be bigger than the boxers he promoted and half the time he really was with his wild hair and even wilder press conferences. Don King is, as of 2016, 85 years of age and still promoting which is pretty amazing. Love him or hate him, King ut on some of the biggest events in the history of pugilism.
Top Rank Presents....Bob Arum
Arum was born in 1931 in New York City and he is the founder of Top Rank Promotions. He has been promoting fights since the late 1960s. He is a Harvard Law School Graduate who turned his courtroom skills into promoting skills. He has promoted Muhammad Ali, Roberto Duran, Manny Pacquiao, Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler, George Foreman. Like Don King, Arum has been convicted of Taking Bribes and admitted giving bribes. He has had F.B.I. Investigations and many other thing's happen to him and his company over the past four decades. But like King, Arum is in his 80s and still standing and still promoting world class boxing events. Arum is known for staging some of the most competitive matches ever fought. Arum was never known for holding his tongue and he would voice his opinion whether the media or fans liked it or not. Arum could spot a diamond in the rough really quick and he new how to nurture an up and coming prizefighter in the pro ranks.
Arum is the most successful promoter in boxing history and even in his 80's he is still at the top of his game and he still promotes some of the biggest stars in boxing. Bob Arum, like Don King, is 85 years of age and in Bob's case he is still the top promoter in the sport. Arum never seems to sleep or even take a break which shows his outstanding work ethic.
Rickard was born in Missouri in 1870. He has had his hand in many thing's but he is most famous for being a brilliant promoter. He was responsible for the first ever live broadcast of a boxing Title bout. He was the promoter of the great Jack Dempsey and he helped boxing remain mainstream. He also promoted most of the other important boxing matches. He opened the Boston Garden and he owned the NHL Hockey team the New York Rangers. Rickard helped Boxing to produce it's first ever million dollar gate. He set the bar high for other promoters and he also led the way by showing what boxing promotion is really about. Rickard new boxing but even more importantly he knew what the public wanted and more times thannot he was able to deliver.
Rickard's mouth was big and he made the boxing matches events instead of just bouts with his grandeur view that he portrayed for the listening and paying customers. Rickard set the stage for what a Promoter is supposed to actually do. He was one of a kind for his time and nobody before him was anything like him.
The Squared Circle
Who is the Best?
Who is the Best Boxing Promoter?
Don King on DVD
BirthPlace of Don King
Don King on David Letterman
Where was he born?
view quiz statistics
- Best U.S. Olympians in Boxing History
This article documents the best Olympians in U.S.History including Mark Brelands, Sugar Ray Leonard, Pscar De La Hoya and Muhammad Ali. Pictures, polls, maps video clips and commentary are also listed in this prizefighting hub.
- Boxing's Best Nicknames of All Time
Some of the best nicknames in prizefighting are listed here including Adrien "The Problem" Broner and James " Bonecrusher" Smith. Also, pictures, videos and commentary are featured in this blog.
- Best African Boxers of All Time
This article documents the best boxers to come out of Africa. Azumah Nelson, Ike Quartey, Brian Mitchell and Dick Tiger are featured in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this blog.
- Best Boxing Video Games of All Time
This article documents the best boxing video games ever made. Mike Tyson's Punch Out, Ring Kings, K.O. Kings and Fight Night Champion are featured in this gaming hub. Pictures and videos are here.
- The Early Days of Boxing: BareKnuckle Fights and The Marquess of Queensbury
Prizefighting officially became boxing in England in 1867 when the Marquess of Queensbury rules were written which require fighters to wear gloves. Also, John L. Sullivan is discussed here.
- Best First Round Knockouts in Boxing History
This prizefighting hub showcases the top first round knockouts in history.Mike Tyson knocked out Michael Spinks in one round and also Muhammad Ali knocked out sonny Liston in the first defending his heavyweight crown. Pictures, maps, polls, a quiz an
- Best Mexican Boxers of All Time
This article is about the Top Mexican fighters in boxing history. Julio Cesar Chavez, Salvadore Sanchez, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez are documented in this Hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are
© 2012 Buster Johnson