Boxing's Most Outrageous Characters
Boxing's Wild Bunch
Crazy Characters in Boxing
1. Don King: King has been a major influence since the 70's promoting Muhammad Ali to Mike Tyson. He has been in prison for manslaughter(when he killed a man.) and his speeches and tirades are stuff of legend. King has been known to quote the Bible, quote Shakespeare and then curse everyone in the room in 5 minutes time. Love him or hate him, Only in America. As of 2014, King is still promoting which is amazing but he definitely has slipped and several others have taken over at the top.
2. Muhammad Ali: Ali was the cockiest boxer in history and he would dance and taunt his opponents in the squared circle. Outside the ring, Ali was known to sing rhymes and pick the round in which his opponent would tumble to the canvas.He is the most quotable athlete in history. The Ali Shuffle is much copied but Ali was the master showman. He always kept all eyes, microphones and cameras on him.
3. Mike Tyson: Iron Mike has been in prison for rape and has had many other out of the ring transgressions but in the ring he was a bad boy as well. Tyson bit Evander Holyfield on both ears, tried to break Frans Bothas arm in a clinch and has been known to use a brutal elbow during a bout. His verbal outbursts before and after bouts is like nothing ever heard in sports at times and it's fantastic theater. Tyson is one of the most famous boxers in the history of the sport.
4. Hector Camacho: Macho Man was a wild character in and out of the ring. Outside the ring he had brushes with the law and his zany comments have bred much controversy. His outfits that he wore to the ring and his ring entrances are very funny and definitely must see t.v. Camacho was flashy in the ring and has been known to talk to not only the opponents but the ring card girls as well.
5. Naseem Hamed: The Prince has the most elaborate ring entrances in boxing history which includes playing a piano and flying above the ring on a magic carpet. He was a deadly puncher in the ring who talked and clowned around in their too. He talked more smack than anyone since Ali and it was usually funny as can be even though it was very cocky.
6. Lou Duva: Duva has been around since the days of Rocky Marciano and he learned his training and cornerman skills from several of the best ever and he has trained greats such as Pernell Whitaker and Evander Holyfield. He is also known for outrageous temper tantrums against the referee, his boxers opponents and more famously he tried to attack Don King in ring center after a bout. Rest in Peace Captain Lou!
7. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.: Money Mayweather could talk the talk and walk the walk and he did both on a regular basis. He is known for getting under his opponents skin during the pre-fight build up. He once talked to commentator Jim Lampley during a bout , answering questions Lamps was asking of other commentators.
8. Johnny Tapia: Mi Vida Loca saw his mother murdered as a child and he has been pronounced dead numerous time from drug overdoses. In the ring he was an emotional mad man, always willing to brawl first and box second. His face showed the battle scars from a hard life inside and outside the ropes. R.I.P. to the bantamweight great, Johnny Tapia.
9. Chris Eubank: This eccentric British fighter held belts at middleweight and super middle and was flashy and cocky in and out of the ring. He once drove a motor cycle to the ring and has had a few scuffles at press conferences especially with nemesis Nigel Benn. Eubank was known for posing like a model during his boxing contests which was slightly strange and extremely comical.
10. Sonny Liston: Liston was a heavyweight destroyer who beat Floyd Patterson for the title in only one round. He had ties to the mafia and he was once arrested for actually punching a cop and taking his gun. Liston was a fearsome yet mysterious character to say the least. Till this day it is still a mystery when Sonny Liston was born and even his exact death of death is unknown.
Birthplace of Don King
Who is The Wildest?
Who is The Most Outrageous Character in Boxing?
Don King Speech Clips
Which Weight Class?
view quiz statistics
Prince Naseem's Ring Entrance
The King of the Ring....Walk
Prince Naseem Hamed put on a show for up to 20 minutes sometimes before entering the ring to battle it out with an opponent. He has played a piano with ghouls on Halloween and flown in on a magic carpet ride to the squared circle. One time he danced behind a thin white curtain before entering the squared circle to box.
© 2012 Buster Johnson