Review of the vapur Shades Collapsable Water Bottle
The vapur® Shades ½ L Water Bottle: True Hit or Simply Hype?
The vapur® Shades ½ L water bottle actually lives up to the hype surrounding it. This is definitely not your standard collapsing camping bottle. Talk about handy and durable! Made by the Vapur company in the USA. It comes in many different colors and several patterns, so everyone is sure to find a pleasing color: gray, green, cyan, pink, purple, and several different patterned designs. I chose “cyan” (a nice almost-cobalt blue color).
A Close-up of the Cap
Vapur Shades water bottle
What’s so special about the vapur® Shades water bottle?
- It collapses as you drink the water, taking up less and less space among your stuff.
- Its leak-proof claim seems to be valid, with a very modern, high-tech looking gasketed main lid and sipping “straw”.
- It is also convenient because you can get a tremendous amount of water out to drink through a fairly small-diameter sipping tube (the “custom Vapur SuperCap”) simply by squeezing the container.
- Although the incredible seal is tough, it is very easy to open, even by folks with mild arthritis issues.
- 3-ply construction is very durable for camping, picnicing, and other random occasions in addition to being super convenient on your desktop at work or on your lap.
- The bottle is VERY efficient at dispensing large quantities of water quickly.
- For everyone’s benefit, it is made out of BPA-free nylon and polyethylene.
- It comes with a detachable carabiner to hook to your daily gear anywhere that’s convenient.
- It's awesome for travel because you can squeeze it into small spaces, especially when it's empty and you roll it up.
- You can even add ice through the wide-mouth opening!
- The company’s web site (http://vapur.us/shop/shades/shades) FAQ says that they will last 3-4 years depending on “use and abuse”.
- And, the price is right: around $10 and under.
and, saving the best for last:
- It’s dishwasher safe.
- It’s freezer safe.
- No, it doesn't do windows. Sorry.
So, next time you exercise, go hiking or rock climbing, or have a kids’ party, toss a couple of these in with your gear or in the freezer in case any bumps require a soft, gentle ice pack that’s reusable time and again, washable inside and out, and multi-purpose.
The Cap, Fully Open
Easy, One-Finger Closure.
What’s NOT so great about the vapur® water bottle?
- Don't fill the bottle all the way up and then drop it on the floor or it will break apart at the seams.
- I assume that when using this product in the freezer it should similarly be filled only slightly with water, but no such warning was on the packaging.
- One thing I learned right away: don’t fill up the bottle, open the lid, and squeeze water into your mouth with both hands like you might a regular bottle: I got drenched the first sip I took.
- This might not be a good choice for young or even school-aged children because, as I mentioned above, it’s easy to get a lot of water all over the place.
- This might not be a good choice for households with dogs or cats that like to chew on everything: my guess is that one bite from a cat or dog would either puncture the walls of this bottle causing immediate leakage, or would significantly weaken the walls in multiple places, thereby reducing the life-expectancy of the bottle. If used to pour water into a cup or pet dish, and if monitored closely to keep it away from biting dogs and cats, I see no reason why this wouldn’t be ideal for them, also.
Have you used -- or will you probably use -- this product?
If you used a similar (collapsable) bottle in the past, were you pleased with it?
Would you recommend this product to a friend?
More about water bottles:
- Train a Dog To Drink from a Portable Dog Water Bottle
When you go running by yourself, I'm sure you probably have a water bottle or gatoraid with you in the car or running in your hand so that you can keep hydrated. Well, it's just as important to bring water for your dog whether you go running,...
- The Many Uses For a Nalgene Water Bottle While Backpacking
A bunch of uses for something so simple as a water bottle. I never leave home without my Nalgene 1 Liter Water Bottle.
- Confessions of a Water Bottle Addict
If you suffer from a water bottle addiction or obsession, you are not alone. Please join me as I try to beat my addiction and give you tips on overcoming your own water bottle obsession.
Other Reviews You May be Interested In
- Review of the Samsung S860, 8.1-mp Digital Camera with Optical Zoom
My Samsung S860 is by far the best, easiest-to-use, camera/video camera I have ever owned. It's an 8.1 Mp digital camera with 3x optical zoom, takes AA batteries, SD cards, and has a tripod mounting.
- Review of the Walgreens Mobile App
Review of the Walgreens app for the iPhone, Android, Windows Phone, and iPad: 5 out of 5 stars for this well-designed and useful app! The competition doesn't come close!
- Review of the Inland USB Mouse (Optical)
This is a product review of the Inland® USB optical mouse, model #337543. 5 out of 5 stars for this mouse! This mouse works great on multiple surfaces, it's full-sized, and it's right or left handed.
About the Author
Information about the author, a complete list of her work on HubPages, and a means of contacting her (and sending fan mail!) are available over on →Laura Schneider's profile page. But wait--don't go there yet! Please continue scrolling down to leave ratings and any comments you have about this article, good or bad, so Laura can improve it and future articles.
All text, photos, illustrations, and dividers in this document are in the public domain or are © Copyright 2013 by Laura D. Schneider unless indicated otherwise. All rights reserved.