- Sports and Recreation»
- Equestrian, Dog Racing & Other Animal Sports
DIY Saddle Stand Made From Reclaimed Wood Pallets
Handmade Saddle Stand
Build Your Own Saddle Stand For Less Than $20
As a horse owner/breeder, I know that raising horses is not a cheap hobby or business at all! So, a horse owner needs to save money anywhere possible. A horse saddle can cost hundreds and even thousands of dollars. Storing an expensive saddle on the ground is not an option if you want to maintain your saddle properly. And saddle stands can cost from $50 and up. You can save money by building your own saddle stand from reclaimed wood pallets. I have built numerous saddle stands and I can assure you that my stands are built to last! By using reclaimed pallet wood my cost to build a very solid stand is less than $20, probably less than $5 but I want to keep it realistic.
Types of Saddle Stands/Racks
DIY Stained Saddle Stand
Basic DIY Saddle Stand Guide
I cannot begin to tell you how easy it is to build your own saddle stand. I am not an expert wood worker by any standard! I have very basic construction/wood working skills. I can build a saddle stand from scratch in 2-3 hours. A little longer if I stain the stand.
DIY Saddle Stand Guide
- find a couple of discarded wooden pallets (not hard at all - just drive around your hometown for about 5 minutes and you will come across more than you could imagine)
- Use a cut saw or circular saw to cut (18) 32" boards - (4) 19" boards - (2) 32" 2X4's
- Find a large wooden spool if possible and cut the round ends in half
- Use a nail gun or screws to assemble as shown in photos
- Use a large metal screw in hook for hanging tack (see photos)
- You can stain your stand (optional)
You will see for yourself that your handmade saddle stand is just as good and probably better than any store bought stand!