- Sports and Recreation»
- Hiking & Camping
Dessert Burritos: Fun and Easy Camping Recipes Ideas for Kids
Campfire Dessert Burritos
Fun Camping Recipes for Kids
Camp meals and campfire treats are a big part of a camping trip for young campers. And, fun and easy camping recipes for kids are one of the most searched for categories for anyone that goes camping with kids.
Hot dogs and 'Mac & cheese are always kid favorites, but camping should be special, and that means special meals and treats.
These Dessert Burritos are a great campfire treat for kids and adults, For the kids; it's sweet, it's something they can make themselves, and a campfire is used to make them - all the elements for a winning camping experience.
For the adults it's a win-win treat; the kids love it, and it doesn't mess up any more camping cookware -- just when you want to be relaxing around the evening fire.
Dessert Burritos: Camping Recipes for Kids
The Dessert Burrito is one of those recipes that are so easy to make, and so liked by young campers, that it will quickly become one of their favorite campfire treats.
Open a couple bags, wrap with some foil, and heat on the campfire -- only S'mores could be easier, and use less camping cookware.
Clean-up is a snap too, just toss the trash, seal the containers, and you're done. (plus the wet-wipes for the kids faces and fingers of course)
Another bonus of this recipe is that the kid's can do it themselves, with just a little adult supervision. They love to be involved and feel "grown-up" when they are camping. And they love camping activities they can do themselves, rather than depending on adults. It also enhances their feelings of independence. Isn't that one of the reasons you take them camping?
How to make Campfire Desset Burritos
Camping cookware and gear needed:
- Dessert Burritos aren't really cooked - they are just heated, to melt the ingredients, so they can be made directly in the campfire coals. But this method involves a lot of adult supervision because they can quickly burn, plus the fact that kids and campfire flames are too often a dangerous combination.
- The best option is to use a campfire cooking grate over a bed of coals. Or, a cast iron skillet or griddle - directly on the coals, can also be used.
So here's is the gear you need for this campfire treat:
- campfire cooking grate
- heavy-duty foil
- wet wipes or paper towels
- tongs or thick campfire gloves
- a few spoons
- 1 can each of three pie fillings; Strawberry/Cherry, Blueberry, Apple, etc.
- 1 jar Peanut Butter
- 1 bag mini-marshmallows
- 1 bag milk chocolate chips
- 2 tortilla wraps for each kid
- Open the ingredients, add spoons to the pie fillings and peanut butter, and set everything out as a "dessert bar" on the camp table
- Tear 2 each, pieces of heavy-duty foil, approx. 12-inches, for each camper, and add 1 tortilla wrap - lay these out for the kids
- The kids now fill their tortilla with one, (or more), of the pie fillings and/or peanut butter. Next they top this with mini-marshmallows and chocolate chips. Note: A little adult intervention is needed here to keep the kids from over-filling their wraps and not be able to make a burrito-wrap when they are done. Just explain that they have a second tortilla to use if they want seconds. (or mess up the first one)
- Once the tortillas are filled, show them how to fold them into a burrito-wrap with sealed ends. (to keep all the gooey ingredients inside), and then wrap the dessert burritos with both pieces of foil
- Have the kids mark their wraps so they can tell which one is theirs. This can be done with marking pens, special foil-wrapping techniques, or even pin-holes in the foil.
- Then the kids just lay their wraps on the cooking grate, turn over after about 5-minutes, (with tongs or gloves), wait 5-minutes more - and they're done!
- Let them remove their own wraps from the fire, and help them open one end of the foil to allow the contents to cool a few minutes before eating.
- Toss the trash, wipe the hands and faces, seal the left-over contents, (if any), and you're done. How easy was that?
More Fun and Easy Camping Recipes for Kids
Kids love desserts and treats - especially these!
Dirt and Worms Pie
Camping Dessert for kids
Just a little prep at home and a supply of paper towels are all that is needed for this camping dessert that doubles as a camping activity because you can let the kids create it themselves. Dirt and Worms Pie Details