Eli vs. Peyton Manning
I'm a life long Giants fan, so when the Giants made that bold draft day trade a few years ago to obtain quarterback Eli Manning from San Diego for what amounted to Phillip Rivers and a large farm, I was giddy. Giddy because I was hopefully Eli could duplicate his big brother's NFL stats.
After watching Eli for a few years, and watching Peyton continue to get better even for him, it's clear at this point that Peyton is probably a superior quarterback. But that doesn't mean Eli isn't very, very good, something he proved by leading the G-men to a Super Bowl title after the 2007 season. Here are some similarities and differences between the two NFL quarterback brothers:
* Both of these guys have a sixth sense for finding a receiver in traffic, especially on third down and especially near the goal line. Peyton has Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, and Eli has Plaxico Burress and Jeremy Shockey.
* Both of them call audibles at the line of scrimmage like their life depends on it. You can seriously get dizzy watching both of these guys jump up and down and change the play, pointing and waving and jumping around.
* Both brothers have a serious passion for the game, and want to win in the worst way. Both are also students of the game.
* Both of them now have Super Bowl rings and Super Bowl MVP Awards.
* Peyton has more sense as to when to get rid of the ball, while Eli still occasionally throws a pass that he shouldn't, resulting in interceptions.
* Peyton is more outspoken, leading to several endorsement deals. Seriously, what product has Peyton Manning not pimped? But Eli is catching up in that department, and his marketability can go through the roof now that he's won a Super Bowl as a player in New York.
* Peyton has just a bit more zip on his ball, and like he says in the commercial, a "laser, rocket arm."
* Peyton starred at the University of Tennessee and Eli starred at the lesser known football powerhouse University of Mississippi.
* Peyton stars in the small Midwest city of Indianapolis, while Eli is under huge scrutiny at all times in the nation's biggest city and metropolitan area.