Essential Gear and Tips for Football Games
We have the tickets...now what?
Okay, so everyone is excited about the big game today. We have our tickets, and our transportation, but what do we need to bring?
The items one will bring to a football game depends on the weather (the clothes we need to bring), the amount of spirit one wants to show, whether a tailgating party is in order, and souvenir money!
Proper Clothing and Accessories
The clothing and accessories one brings to a football game will largely be dependent upon the weather. If it is cold bringing a thick jacket or coat will be ideal. Scarves, mittens, and earmuffs are also great ways to stay warm.
If it is dreary and rainy during the game (ugh) bringing a windbreaker and adding something warm like a sweater underneath it will keep the moisture out as well as keeping you warm.
If it is hot outside, wearing a BRIGHT colored tshirt is a good option. Dark colors absorb light, thus heating you up even more.
Accessories one can take to the game to make it easier are mini fans. These useful fans are found almost everywhere. Their blades are soft so no danger in cutting onself. Try getting the ones that also spray out a fine mist of water.
It's very refreshing to get a blast of air, and a spritz of water on a hot, and sweaty face.
Showing Spirit For Your Team
Showing team spirit can be conveyed in many different ways. By showing team spirit, it really kicks the fun factor of going to football games, and at the same time boosts the morale of the team you are supporting.
Just remember, too much of a good thing is SCARY. :)
Showing your spirit:
1) Blowhorns: These things can get obnoxious FAST. Use it sparingly, never directly near anyone's ear, and during crucial segments of the game. If your team scores, or does a spectacular manuever, it is sensible to use it.
2) Body Painting: Body painting is a very popular way of showing team spirit. The most effective body paintings are done in groups by putting a letter on the stomach of each person, and them lining up side by side. Just remember to stay away from oil based paint!
3) Stickers: Why shouldn't your ride show team spirit as well? Find your teams car decal, and paste it on the windows and sides of your car. Whenever people see you, they'll immediately know which team your rooting for.
4) Inflatable Mascots/Balls: These items can be fun, and moral boosting at the same time.One can sometimes find balls, and inflatable mascots with their team. Bouncing this around can make for a fun little break, just make sure to not hit anyone in the head that isn't playing.
5) Foam Hands/Misc.: The foam hands supporting the team are a popular sign of spirit. What is better than a squeling fan with a fake foam hand 30x the size of her body.
Tailgating Essentials and Ideas
Tailgating is a popular after game event where there is a social gathering around the tailgate of a person's car. These tailgating parties consist of fun banter, picnic style food, and sometimes games to pass the time.
Food is a very important component of the tailgate. What is a good party without food? Especially after a long hot game, where the only edible thing in site are hard peanut brittle.
The food one brings to a tailgate is picnic oriented. Hot dogs, baked beans with bacon, hamburgers, cole slaw, potato salad, potato chips, and barbeque are the tasty foods that are most popular with tailgating.
The popular beverages to serve for tailgating is definitely beer. Be a responsible person though, and make sure that if your driving, you drink the soda! Also getting a DUI is a hefty fine, which isn't a convenient thing to get slapped with.
Games are sometimes played after the eating has finished in a tailgating party. These games can range from beer pong, corntoss, and ladder ball.
Beer Pong: In this game a player throws a ping pong ball at a group of beer cups, hoping to land into one.
Corntoss:This game involves multiple players throwing bags filled with corn at a raised platform. There is a hole at the end where one has to land on.
Ladder Ball: Akin to horseshoes, this game uses a bola, a string with two weights at the end, and you have to aim at a ladder ahead of you.