- Sports and Recreation»
- Hiking & Camping
Pros and Cons of the Expedition Parka by Canada Goose
Rate the Expedition Parka
Expedition Parka Price
$596.21 - $920.99 (Beware extreme low prices, might be fakes from China. Unless they are used.)
Introducing the world famous Expedition Parka
The Expedition Parka is one of the most popular jackets by Canada Goose, made for the extremely cold (lower than -30°) with low output activity, which means no hiking, climbing mountains or walking around cities.
This jacket is best used outdoors in extremely cold temperatures where you won’t be moving much.
Tan Expedition Parka
Like These Ones...
- Outdoor photography
- Dog Sledding
- Standing Still working
Activities that go perfectly with the Expedition Parka
Anything that requires little action or movement in a really cold area.
The city? It may not be the best place to use one. There are other options by Canada Goose that are more proper for extremly cold cities.
Low Output Activities in Extreme Cold Weather
Warmth and Comfort
The right temperature for the Expedition Parka would be around -30° and -40°, anything below this might get too warm, especially inside a house. If it is named “expedition” it implies you are supposed to wear it outside, on strong winds and snow that threaten your life.
Standing still in the above mentioned temperature, like the winter of early 2014, will make you feel at home with your feet by the fireplace.
Not sure is this parka is best for you? If you still need something for very cold weather Canada Goose has an entire list of Arctic jackets and parkas, each with its own special features.
Expedition Parka Video Review
- The Expedition Parka comes with two side accessible hand warmer pockets closed by a zipper and four front pockets.
- The breast pockets are divided into two compartments, with one being wider and fleeced lined.
- Inside the parka you will find two more pockets with zippers.
- The cuffs are recessed making a perfect fit with mittens and globes.
- Two small pockets are featured above the shoulders, enough to fit a pen or small device like an ipod.
- You can find a snow skirt inside the parka which folds on into itself whenever not used.
Inside the Expedition Parka
Find it at Amazon
Pros of the Expedition Parka
- Durable exterior
- Windproof proven
- High quality duck down
- The hood works just perfectly to protect your face
- Waist cord to slim the fluffy look
- Wrist cuff can be extended if you forget the gloves
- A soft fleece piece covers your chin and mouth when the jacket is zipped all the way
- The warm pockets keep everything in place
- A storm breaker protects the middle zipper and keeps snow from blowing inside the jacket
- Adjustment strap at the back of hood
Fitting an Expedition Parka
Cons of the Expedition Parka
- For some strange reason Canada Goose likes to design left handed zippers on most of its jackets. This is not the first jacket from the company to have one, and it is hard to get used to.
- Non removable hood.
- Non removable fur ruff. Not always needed.
- Bulky. Just pick 2 sizes less if this is a major issue for you.
- Too warm for city use. Buy it only for outdoors or extremely cold cities.
- The fur ruff is made from real Coyote fur, it is a company quality requirement. Thought you might want to know.
Red Expedition Parka for Women
How to Clean the Expedition Parka?
Try not to clean the parka to often since it is probably winter and drying it can take some time. For the best, try to dry clean it.
If you definitely need to wash it, then do it by hand and gentle soap. Don´t expect to be using it for a few days while it dries up.
There is a dry cleaning technique that involves tennis balls, check it out:
Learn How To Clean and Wash the Expedition Parka at Home
For your Knowledge
The big fluffy Canada Goose Parka´s are the:
- Expedition Parka
- The Resolute Parka
- Snow Mantra
How to Select the Right Size and Fit of the Expedition?
Parka´s are really big jackets in order to allow some extra layers in there. The general rule would be to size down.
The average person would go for the small sizes, something between Extra Small for someone 5´5 and 150 lbs, and Small for someone 6´1 and 180 lbs. A regular L would wear an M perfectly.
Selecting between the small or the extra small also depends if you like it bulky or not.
Under 6'0 -> 2XS
from 6'0 ~ 6'1 (165 ~ 175) -> XS
from 6'1 ~ 6'2 (175 ~ 185) -> S
from 6'2 ~ 6'3 (185 ~ 195) -> M
Giant -> L
Up to 2XL in size
A suggestion for big heavy people:
If you prefer parkas with some extra space inside and hate it when it is tight and pinchy inside, then consider buying your regular size. You will end up looking like an astronaut, but it is either comfort or looking good.
You got to remember this jacket is supposed to be big and bulky, so it will feel heavy.
Expedition Parka Colors and Styles
The Expedition Parka is one of the most sought after winter jackets for extreme cold cities. The hardest one to get is the Tan color one, and Red is second favorite. The most common color to find is the Black.
Expedition Parka White Color
Best Jacket for outdoors with low output
Is the Expedition Parka the best jacket for extremely cold outdoors and low output activities?
What is the best alternative for the Expedition Parka?
The Resolute Parka is like an upgrade of the Expedition. It is very similar in design but with some extra features like:
- Longer body
- Removable Fur Ruff
- More pockets
- D rings to the exterior to attach mittens
- Grab straps on the shoulders for rescue (if you fall under heavy snow)
The price will be $100 dollars more.
So it is either an industrial look with the Resolute or an urban style with the Expedition.
© 2014 David Trujillo Uribe