Famous Athletes Who Attempted Boxing
From Sports To Fights
Sportsman who Tried Boxing
When athletes from other sports venture over into prizefighting they are playing with fire. You play other sports but, you don't play boxing. Boxing is one of the most dangerous contact sports ever and without proper training and experience you can get hurt. Not wanting to make excuses when they box, there is not someone to relieve them. When that bell rings it is just you and him.
1. Ed "Too Tall" Jones (Football): He played in the NFL for 15 seasons with the Dallas Cowboys. He also fought as a heavyweight boxer winning all 6 of his bouts, five by knockout. He dominated his bouts but he did not beat anyone of note.He decided to call it quits without going any further. Even Jones knew deep down inside that if he fought Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, or God forbid, George Foreman that he may be seriously hurt. Jones was a very good athlete but he wa not experienced or trained enough to participate in professional prizefighting.
2. Charlie Powell (Football): Powell played in the NFL for 7 seasons with the 49ers and the Raiders as a defensive lineman. As a boxer he went 25-11-3 with two of his losses coming against Muhammad Ali and Floyd Patterson. He did knock out Nini Valdes who was a top ranked heavyweight in 1959. Powell probably could have went far in boxing if had settled on it and stuck with it. He had skills but it takes full dedication to succeed in this brutal sport.
3. Kendall Gill (Basketball): Gill fought four times as a heavyweight boxer retiring with a record of 4 wins, no losses with 3 knockouts. He never beat any boxer that is noteworthy. In the NBA he played for several teams but most famously was with the New Jersey Nets. His NBA career lasted 15 seasons.
4. Eddie Eagan (Bob Sled): He won a Gold medal in 1920 in the Summer Olympic games and then in 1932 he won a Gold medal in the Winter Olympics for racing on a bobsleigh. He also went to the Olympics in 1924 for boxing again but failed to bring home a medal. Bob sleighs and boxing rings are worlds apart but obviously Eagan was Multi- faceted.
5. Alonzo Highsmith (Football): Highsmith won a National Championship playing football in College for the Miami Hurricanes. In the NFL he played for six years and retired because of repeated knee injuries. As a boxer he fought for four years amassing a record of 27 wins, 1 loss, 2 draws and 23 knockouts. He fought non descript competition and never made it far in the sport.
6. Curtis Woodhouse (Soccer): He played midfielder in Soccer for several teams including Sheffield United scoring 27 total career goals. In the ring although competition has been weak he has compiled a descent record of 17 wins, 4 losses with 11 of those wins coming by way of knockout.:
7. Anthony Mundine (Rugby): His boxing record stands at 44-5 with 26 knockouts and he is the former two time super middleweight champion of the world. In Rugby Mundine had 244 total points and apon his departure from the sport he was the highest paid player.
8. Mark Gastineau (Football): His boxing record was 15 wins, 2 losses and 1 no contest. Of his two losses one of them was to Alonzo Highsmith. As an NFL player he has 107 sacks and he went to 5 Pro Bowls. He has the Jets record for single season sacks with 22. Although a solid ball player he was a mediocre boxer at best.
9. Jevon Langford (Football): Langford has a professional boxing record of 6 wins, 1 loss and all 6 bouts wins ended in knockout. He played defensive end for the Cincinnati Bengals for six years. He has 87 tackles, 3 sacks and 1 pick in his football career.
10. Roy Bedwell (Race Car Driver): Bedwell has a horrid ring record of 14 wins, 70 losses and 1 draw. He is also a professional race car driver that competes throughout the south. As far as his boxing career goes he did always give a good account of himself and made for good fights.
Boxing is a Sport But Not a Game
Boxing takes years of practice and dedication. It should never be attempted by an inexperienced person. Lots of physical and mental preparation goes into the sport of prizefighting. In some sports such as basketball or baseball for instance if your not in proper condition and lack skills you just lose. In boxing if that happens you can get seriously hurt or even killed.
Whether you come from another sport or attempt to box and hold a full time job believe me you will not get very far up the ranks as a professional prizefighter.
Mark Gastineau vs. Alonzo Highsmith
Have You Ever Tried It?
Have you ever tried boxing before?
Who Tried It?
view quiz statistics
Speed Bag Platforms
Football Player Turned Boxer
- Boxer Destroys UFC Legend in MMA Bout: Ray Mercer vs. Tim Silvia
This article illustrates the Mixed martial arts bout between former boxer Merciless Ray Mercer and former UFC Heavyweight champion Tim Silvia. Pictures, videos and commentary are listed in this hub.
- Boxing's Masterpiece: Sugar Ray Robinson
This article documents the boxer most regard as the best fighter pound for pound in boxing history. Sugar Ray Robinson is the former Welterweight and former 5 time Middleweight Champion. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary are
- Boxing's Best Heavyweights of All Time
This article is about the top heavyweight boxers in history. Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano and Evander Holyfield are listed in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are also in this prize fighting hub.
- 10 Brutal Rounds in Boxing
This hub desribes ten different rounds from different bouts that were fierce such as round 1 of Tommy Hearns vs. Marvelous Marvin Hagler. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed in this hub.
- Boxing's Best Finishers of All Time
This article is about the best finishers in boxing. in other words these guys can crack. If they get you hurt they usually end or finish the match. George Foreman, Lennox Lewis, Felix Trinidad, Julian Jackson and Earnie Shavers are documented in this
- Boxing's Best Body Puncher's of All Time
This hub documents the top Body punchers in boxing history including Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, Mike McCallum and Henry Armstrong. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube clips and commentary are listed in this article along with other information on
Mark Gastineau's Jets Team
Alonzo Highsmith Interview
Floyd Mayweather vs. Robert Guerero
© 2013 Buster Johnson