Dream Bouts: Floyd Mayweather, Jr. vs. Boxing's All-Time Greats
Legends of The Game
Who is Better?
Who is the best Fighter of All Time?
Money Mayweather vs. The Best of Other Eras
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. has won titles in five weight divisions which are: Jr. Lightweight, Lightweight, Jr. Welterweight, Welterweight and Jr. Middleweight. He is one of the best defensive fighters in history and he is the top boxer of his era. He has fought and beat some of the best of his time and he currently has an undefeated record of 44 wins and no losses. The following dream fights are assuming they take place in the Welterweight division. (147 Pound Weight Class)
1. Floyd Mayweather vs. Sugar Ray Robinson: One of the best defensive boxers ever pitted against one of the best offensive fighters ever. Mayweather lands his lead right or a few rounds until Robinson begins to counter it. A close fight throughout with Robinson edging the late rounds by landing his jab, possibly scoring a knockdown and finally cracking Mayweather's defense to earn a close but unanimous decision victory. Robinson W12 Mayweather.
2. Floyd Mayweather vs. Sugar Ray Leonard: This would be a dream fight for sure. The rounds would be very close with Leonard having problems with Floyd's defense and Sugar Ray giving Mayweather fits with his speed and accuracy.The bout would be great for purist because these pugilists have great footwork. Leonard would pull ahead slightly with his activity to take a close decision. Leonard W12 Mayweather. Note: This match could end up being Mayweather W12 Leonard also.
3. Floyd Mayweather vs. Felix Trinidad: Trinidad was a deadly welterweight puncher so danger would always loom during this contest. Tito would win 2 or 3 of the early rounds but after Mayweather figures him out and gets the timing down it would be just a formality. Mayweather pot shots Trinidad down the stretch with lead left hooks and lead right hands to take a competitive but clear unanimous decision over the Peurto Rican legend. Mayweather W12 Trinidad.
4. Floyd Mayweather vs. Henry Armstrong: Floyd would be able to counter the windmill known as Henry Armstrong and slip punches enough to win rounds but Armstrong never stopped punching. Mayweather would keep it close with his textbook shots but Armstrong would win on sheer punch volume and eventually Mayweather would become completely defensive because Armstrong s a devastating puncher to say the least. Armstrong W12 Mayweather.
5. Floyd Mayweather vs. Kid Gavilan: The Kid would be competitive and all the rounds would be close but in the end Gavilan did not have enough power to keep Floyd honest. As the rounds mount Mayweather would start to out class and out land the Cuban. The final few rounds would be dominated by Floyd making his opponent miss and making him pay. Mayweather W12 Gavilan.
6. Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao: The Super Fight that never happened would have been a great fight for the fans. The punch volume of Pacquaio would certainly win him a few stanzas but the defense and overall ring generalship of Money Mayweather would tell in the last 5 or 6 rounds. Mayweather might get wobbled once or twice but then he will jab, slip, hold and land lead rights on the left handed Filipino to earn a unanimous decision victory. Mayweather W12 Pacquiao.
7. Floyd Mayweather vs. Pernell Whitaker: Sweet Pea vs. Pretty Boy. Two of the premiere defensive boxers of all time. This would be a tactical match without many punches landing on either man. Mayweather will and some lead rights but otherwise he would be shut down offensively. Whitaker would land solid right sticks but he too would not mount an offensive. Styles make fights and these two would be landing single jabs and not much else. Mayweather Draw in 12 Whitaker.
8. Floyd Mayweather vs. Thomas Hearns: Even though Mayweather was better defensively Hearns is one of the hardest punchers pound for pound in prizefighting. Mayweather would try to pot shot and clinch which would work for a short time. Hearns would take several rounds trying to catch Floyd while eating occasional right hands from Floyd. Mayweather is far to skilled to get knocked out but Hearns was taller, had a longer reach and he had a masterful jab. After 12 rounds of boxing Hearns wins a decision. Hearns W12 Mayweather.
9. Floyd Mayweather vs. Emile Griffith: These two boxers fought very similar in some ways. It would be nip and tuck with much posturing and feinting. Griffith would win the inside fighting while Money would take control in the center of the ring. The ebb and flow of the bout would keep changing but Mayweather has fast enough hands and a great defense which would allow him to pull it out. Mayweather Wins Majority decision over Griffith.
10. Floyd Mayweather vs. Rocky Graziano: Graziano was a knockout puncher but he had crude ring skills which unless he caught Floyd clean would mean he would be in serious trouble. Mayweather boxes cautious and loses round one but then dominates the rest of the bout. By the 9th round he is landing hooks and uppercuts to go with the jabs and lead rights to open cuts all over Rocky. After the 10th round, a round in which Graziano was wobbled and his face was turned to a crimson mask, his corner calls a halt. Mayweather T.K.O. 10 Graziano.
Floyd Mayweather's overall record for these dream matches is: 5-4-1.Since Floyd is still an active boxer he may accomplish significantly more before he retires which would make me rethink these fantasy bouts.
Pernell Whitaker Highlights
- Boxing's Best Jr. Lightweights of All Time
This article is about the top junior lightweight fighters in boxing history. Julio Cesar Chavez, Floyd Mayweather, Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez are featured in this blog. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube videos and commentary are also listed i
- Boxing's Best Jr. Featherweights of All Time
This article is about the top junior featherweight fighters in boxing history. Marco Antonio Barrerra, Erik Morales and Juan Manuel Marquez are featured in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are described in this blog. Wi
- Prizefighter Tribute: Floyd Mayweather
This article describes one of the best boxers in history, Floyd Mayweather. He has won titles in five weight classes and he is still undefeated as a prizefighter. You tube clips, maps, polls, pictures and commentary are listed in this hub. Pretty Boy
- Best Argentinian Boxers of All Time
The top Argentinian boxers ever are listed in this blog. Sergio Martinez, Carlos Monzon and Carlos Baldamir are listed in this hub along with pictures and videos.
- Best United Kingdom Boxers of All Time
This article documents the best Fighters from the United Kingdom. Lennox Lewis, Joe Calzaghe, Henry Cooper and Jimmy Wilde are featured in this pugilistic hub. You tube videos, polls, pictures, maps and commentary are also listed in this hub. Lennox
- Best Canadian Boxers of All Time
This boxing article describes the top Prizefighters from Canada. Sam Langford, Jimmy McClarnin, George Dixon and George Chuvalo are listed in this article along with videos and pictures.
Sugar Ray Leonard Highlights
Birthplace of Floyd Mayweather,Jr.
Sugar Ray Robinson's Greatest Hits
Floyd Money Mayweather's Highlights
© 2013 Buster Johnson