- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
How to Play Golf for Free
Why play for free?
Playing golf can get expensive. With green fees reaching $100 a round, golf has become a luxury recreation. The problem is that the game is extremely addictive. Once we play a round, we seem to want to play more. I think the reason is because golf is a game that you challenge yourself at and all you want to do is to beat your own score. Unfortunately to do that, you have to play more golf.
They say golf is a game of feel. The more you play, the better you will be. And every golfer wants to be the best so they follow this saying and play more golf. Wouldn't it be nice if you can just walk on a course and play for free?
Where is the free golf?
I decided to do some research to find some free golf. This is what I found:
- Some courses offer a free round of golf on your birthday.
- If you are a member of a private course, you can play on another course for free if the two courses have an agreement with one another.
- If you are employed by a golf course, you can play for free.
So what are you waiting for? Get employed by a golf course and play for free.
What to do?
Option # 3 indicates that if you are employed by a golf course, you are entitled to free golf. How does this work and where do I sign up? Follow these simple steps and never pay for golf again:
1. Call a local golf course and volunteer as a course marshal.
2. Most courses will not pay you but they will reward you with a free round of golf in exchange for your time.
Here are your responsibilities as a course marshal:
- Ensure players keep up the pace of play by being a shot away from the group ahead.
- Ensure players follow a safe distance and not drive their ball into the group ahead.
- Ensure players are fixing their divots and not causing harm to the course.
- Help players look for their errant shots and remind them of the 5-minute search rule.
- Call for help in case of emergency or injury.
- Assist players to speed up play.
Did you know you can play for free on your birthday?
What to do when the Weather is Unsettled
The worst time to be on a golf course is when the weather is unstable. As a marshal, your responsibility is to insure the safety of golfers if lightning is nearby. You have to instruct golfers to seek shelter and refrain from holding metal clubs.
Golf courses, especially ones in sunny locations may not have nor provide cart enclosures to protect riders from the elements.
Here are some cart accessories: