5 Extremely Effective Golf Putting Drills
Need an awesome putting drill to help you sink more putts? Look no further.
1. Around the Horn
- This drill is designed to enhance your short putting ability to knock in those knee-knockers in crunch time on the golf course.
- You will need eight tees and eight golf balls for this exercise.
- Place the eight tees equally distanced from each other at three-foot increments.
- Just use your putter for this, as they are usually about 3 feet long. (Unless you’re using a belly-putter, then the drill will really be really difficult!)
- Place a ball at each tee and proceed to knock them all in.
- If you miss, start over. The goal is to be able to sink three sets of the three footers, twenty-four putts in a row.
- If you can do this, you should be feeling pretty confident. (Side note: Phil Mickelson does this drill before the start of every tournament. Only he forces himself to make 100 in a row!)
- Remember to mix it up. Make it harder on yourself by closing your eyes or setting the tees farther away from the hole.
2. The Putting Challenge
- This drill hones the competitiveness in you and is most effective if you have a partner to do it with.
- Take a scorecard and on each hole, in random order, write distances in increments of three feet from 6 feet to 60 feet. (6..9..12..15..18..etc.)
- Example = Hole 1: 33 feet; Hole 2: 9 feet; Hole 3: 48 feet
- There will be 19 holes
- Every hole is par 2
- Pace off the distance before each hole as if you were stepping off a yardage.
- Grab a partner and go have a fun competition!
- P.S. if you can shoot even or better your doing well
3. Tee Drill
- This drill is used by countless major champions including Tiger Woods
- Find a 3-5 foot putt with zero break on the practice green
- Set up to the putt and place a tee just outside the toe of your putter and just outside the heel of your putter
- These tees force you take make a consistent stroke every time
- If you make a poor stroke you’ll hit one of the tees
- To enhance the drill even further hit putts with your right hand only, left hand only, and with both hands
- Experiment until you find something that works for you
4. Line Drill
- A very simple yet effective drill to help you sink more putts
- Simply place a ball marker, coin, tee, etc. three feet from the hole
- Continue placing markers in one foot increments directly behind the last marker until you get about a twenty foot putt
- Start at 3 feet and see how far back you can get
- If you miss, start again
- This drill will help you focus on sinking putts, not just getting them close
5. Guessing Game
- This drill will teach you how to hone your speed better
- Take a few balls and head out to the practice green
- Hit a putt and immediately after impact close your eyes
- Guess in your mind how far away the ball will end up from (ex: 2 feet long, 6 inches to the right)
- Don’t worry about where the putts go, more importantly focus on seeing if your guesses are correct
- After a few minutes of doing this you will see just how much better your putts are becoming