Sports In The Air!
Extreme Air Sports
Sports in The Sky
Which is The Best Air Sport?
Which is Your Favorite Air Sport?
Radio Controlled Airplanes
Taking to the Skies!
There are far more than nine sports that involve the air. These are just some of the most popular ones that are played today. These sports can be very dangerous and should never be tried until you have been given the proper training or are with someone who is an expert.
1. Aerobatics: The practice of doing stunts and freestyle tricks from an airplane. Pilots of this air sport do flips in the air, nose dives and even write messages in the sky. There are different levels of experience to this airplane stunt show. Although this is a recreational activity, it is also a sport with a referee and a set of rules. People pay top dollar to see the best perform in this acrobatic circus. It can be dangerous and that's why it takes constant rehearsal and tons of safety measures.
2. Ballooning: Ballooning is an air sport in which the competitors fly a hot air balloon that is filled with gas or helium. Hot air balloons are often used for sight seeing. In the past, I have wanted to go through the countryside in a balloon. I imagine wine and cheese tasting, in the countryside. It just looks like it goes together. Hot air balloons are also used for sports competition. Racing balloons are super charged and used for racing an opponent to a predetermined distance. Be sure to utilize the seat belts and all safety harnesses that are provided. I think that I would prefer the leisure tour vs. racing.
3. Air Racing: It is similar to a car race but, with airplanes. Two people fly over a fixed course trying to see who can get to the finish line with the best time. The jets that are used for this air race are equipped for short speed bursts and like all air sports, they can be risky. Always wear proper seat belts and follow all safety precautions. Although I have never participated in air racing I have watched as a spectator and it was awesome.
4. Hang Gliding: In this sport, the pilot must fly an aircraft called a hang glider, which has no motor. The wings of a glider are usually made of aluminum alloy. Experienced gliders can soar the open skies for over two hours like a bird while doing this extreme sport. You would have to be very brave to want to do this type of gliding or flying. This puts bravery at the next level in my opinion. Make sure before taking off that your helmet is strapped on correctly. Check your glasses, gloves and then even double check it to make sure that everything is in working order.
5. Model Aircraft: The most common types of model aircraft are free flight which are man and radio controlled and involves the use of a transmitter. Free flight aircraft doesn't go very far or fast but, it is inexpensive and fun. Radio controlled aircraft is more costly but, it is also more realistic. It takes a bunch of patience to master model Aircraft. The park down the street from my house has people flying model aircraft every Sunday afternoon and it is entertaining to watch from up close or from afar.
6. Skydiving: This action air sport involves free falling for up to one minute as long as possible then releasing the parachute. Like any other air sport, skydiving is very dangerous so, be sure to follow all safety precautions. When skydiving always check the weather and wind velocity before jumping from helicopters or airplanes. Always make sure that there are two parachutes on each jumper before leaving the ground. If the first parachute doesn't open for some reason, then there's a back up.
7. Paragliding: Paragliders sit in a suspended harness that is attached to a hollow wing. The aerodynamic forces of the air, keeps the person flying. Paragliders sometimes fly for up to two hours straight with the wind in their faces. With proper training, pilots of these gliders will spin, flip and do extra air tricks that are stunning to watch. There are different types of paragliding, the cousin of paragliding is hand gliding and powered paragliding it is just like the original except a small engine is attached for take off and landing. These people are very brave to do this.
8. Ultralight Aviation: This describes the style of flying that is done by a mini airplane unit that seats two people and soars up to sixty four miles per hour. It is illegal to fly this piece of equipment in the dark, as well as it can not be flown over populated areas. These inventions are astonishing and the lithium polymer battery pack allows for almost 2 hours of flying time before needing a recharge.
9. Human Powered Aircraft: These gliders are powered by human energy and gravity's force. Solar energy helps along with wind currents to lift your air craft into motion. These items have been flown in Australia, Greece, Germany, Canada and Singapore among others. The first ever human powered air craft was built in Dayton, Ohio in 1923.
view quiz statistics
Great "In The Air" Sports
Hot Air Balloon
Human Powered Aircraft
- Sports on The Water!
This article describes the top water sports in the world. Fishing, boating and sailing are featured in this water sports hub. Pictures, videos, a poll and commentary are also listed in this blog.
- Best Documentaries in Sports History
This article describes the top sports documentaries ever including When we were Kings, Hoop Dreams, Beyond the Mat and Tyson. You Tube clips, pictures, polls, maps and commentary are listed in this hub as well. Arnold Schwarzenegger stars in the docu
- Key Moments in Sports History
This article documents some of sports' most important moments. The Black Sox Scandal and Joe Louis knocking out Max Schmeling are listed in this sporting hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are also featured in this hub. Joe Na
- Sports Greatest Quotes of All Time
This hub discusses some of sports most famous quotes including quotes from Joe Namath, Joe Louis, Michael Jordan and Muhammad Ali. Pictures, videos, Polls, maps and commentary are listed in this sports blog. Joe Namath gained international fame by pr
- Best NBA Players in History
This article is about the top basketball players in NBA history. Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul Jabarr are listed here. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed in tis hub.
- Boxing's Best Counter Puncher's of All Time
This prizefighting hub documents the best counter punchers in boxing history including James Toney, Evander Holyfield and Sugar Ray Robinson. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube clips and commentary are featured in this blog as well.
Paragliding over The Clouds
Aerobatics View From The Cockpit
© 2013 Buster Johnson