- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
Marvin Sonsona improves his Boxing Record
Sonsona TKO's Fulgencio
UPDATE: Sonsona TKOs Fulgencio on March 17, click details.
- RESULT: Pacquiao's compatriot Filipino boxer Marvin 'Marvelous' Sonsona faced off with Carlos 'El Flaco' Fulgencio of the Dominican Republic on March 17 (2012) at the Hoops Dome in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu.
- The combatants contested the WBO Youth Flyweight Championship and the WBO Asia-Pacific Flyweight Championship belts, but the Filipino ably defended the belts by TKO when he floored Fulgencio at 1:41 mark of the 5th round.
- Sonsona raises his record to 16-1-1 with 13 KOs while Fulgencio dropped his to 19-6-1, 12 KOs.
- Sonsona was promised a slot in the under card of Johnriel Casimero’s International Boxing Federation’s interim light flyweight title fight against Mexican Sammy Gutierrez on May 13 at the Waterfront Hotel here. The fight will be shown live in the Philippines, Mexico and South America as part two of AKTV’s boxing extravaganza dubbed as Pinoy Knockout
Sonsona lost to Vasquez, Feb. 27, 2010
I never thought of losing, but now that it's happened the only thing is to do it right, That's my obligation to all the people who believe in me. We all have to take defeats in life. MUHAMMAD ALLI
To MARVIN "Marvelous" SONSONA
- OF course your fans and followers were all behind you and fervent in their prayers that you’ll make a kill of Vasquez when the 2 of you face off for the vacant WBO superbantamweight title last February 27, Saturday at the Ruben Rodriguez Coliseum, Bayamon, Puerto Rico.
- You’ve manifested your speed, quickness and lateral movements in the initial round which they thought would last.
- But it was all and after that- it was clear victory for the tough and solidly built Puerto Rican Vasquez who took to heart his father-trainer’s advice that he concentrates his assault on your body.
- Their (your fans and followers) pride and hope flickered and vanished as Vasquez stalked and pummeled you with vicious body punches. Vasques’ punch that jarred your chin, especially the left jab that hit the side of your body blocked your claim to the title. Vasquez won the fight by knocking you out in the 4th round.
- There are valid reasons why. Pundits believed you haven’t adjusted well to the junior featherweight limit after moving up 2 weight divisions as against Vasquez who is natural junior featherweight at 122 lbs.
- Sonsona was a 115 junior bantamweight pounder who tipped the scale at 121.4 lbs during the weigh-in. He had a fight record of 14-0-1-(12 Kos) behind him.
- No doubt Vasquez was stronger than Sonsona who backpedalled so often to avoid the former’s barrage of heavy punches. The 19-year old Filipino boxer who was born on July 25, 1990 tried his utmost to hold at bay with his jabs the 26-year Puerto Rican pugilist born on June 18, 1984 with a splendid record of 17-0-1- (14 Kos). In vain.
- Steadfast, the more talented and matured Vasquez kept coming and unleashing accurate punches.
- The habit of hanging down your hands which you shouldn’t have done, opens up your defenses that’s why your left side got hooked by Vasquez. Indeed it was a crushing blow that switches off your senses.
- In a boxing atmosphere where the cheers and shouts of fans are familiar to a boxer truly make a difference. This was enjoyed by Vasquez who was fighting in his home soil as against Sonsona who makes do with only his handlers. He was fighting in a foreign land in Puerto Rico.
- Marvin, rise up and kiss the canvas no more. Live up to your name. MARVIN “Marvelous” SONSONA is a great name. It’s second to none. Stand up and brush the dusts from your gloves. There’s no use crying for spilt milk. Make full effective use of your break time allowed you by your handlers.
- From this time on, resolve to erase the shame you’ve suffered from Vasquez. You have the makings of a future champion. Be an ambidextrous fighter with equal power in both hands so you can deal steel blows into the body and sides of your opponents. Ask the support of boxing experts like your trainer and Manny Pacquiao, etc. so you can acquire more powerful and telling blows.
- Discover the techniques of making your body especially your sides tough so to withstand the wear and tear of battle. Pacquiao had his toughened, why can’t you?
- Never throw caution to the winds. Learn to cover your vital parts when the need arises. But don’t copy what Clottey had done in his fight against Pacquiao.
- A boxer aims to win a fight, not to cover himself all the time throughout the fight. And that’s what Clottey had done. Did he win the bout?
- Acquire and develop the cunning and ferocity of a lion. At the first sign of an opportunity, attack without letup to discourage and disable opponents. Follow-up using full force if need be for the kill.
- Try to visualize this words when you’re about to enter the ring: OFFENSE IS THE BEST DEFENSE.
- Boxing fans, let's help MARVIN "Marvelous" SONSONA attain his cherished dream to stay on top of the boxing ladder.
- Suggest things for him to do by using the following "Comment Capsule". Thank you.