Mosin Nagant: Curing Sticky Bolt
The Mosin-Nagant is a magazine fed, bolt-action rifle manufactured for several decades by the now-defunct Russian Empire and Soviet Union. There are millions of military surplus Mosin Nagant rifles around the world, for a relatively cheap price. Surplus guns are commonly coated in cosmoline, a type of metal preservative. Preservative buildup can result in a sticky bolt and cause difficulty ejecting and loading rounds. Curing a sticky bolt is very easy to do, and can be done at a gun range with limited supplies.
- Gun cleaner solvent
- Lint-free cloth/rag
Curing a Sticky Bolt
- Fire a few rounds until the barrel and chamber are hot. The heat of fired rounds loosens gunky buildup inside the rifle, thus making it easier to clean out.
- Dip a section of a lint-free cloth into the cleaning solvent, then use your finger to work the rag into the chamber.
- Fire a couple more rounds and repeat the cleaning process with the cloth and solvent.
- Repeat the previous steps until the bolt slides smoothly backwards and forwards while ejecting a spent casing and loading another.
Mosin Nagant Tutorials
- Mosin Nagant: Install Rubber Recoil Pad
Installing a rubber recoil pad on a Mosin Nagant will make shooting more comfortable. It is easy to swap the original steel plate with a rubber one.
- Mosin Nagant: Install a Bent Bolt
Mosin Nagants are issued with a straight bolt, which makes installing a scope and mount difficult. A bent bolt allows several types of mounts and scopes to be used.
- Mosin Nagant: Emphasize Sight Markings
Bring out the Mosin Nagant sight markings using only a white wax crayon. The markings will become easier to see, and aesthetically pleasing.
- Mosin Nagant: Removing Rear Sight
Mosin Nagant shooters often remove the rear sight leaf or entire rear sight to make some space for a scope and scope mount to be installed. Removing both are easily to do.
- Mosin Nagant: Lighten Trigger Pull
Tin foil can be used to lessen the trigger pull on the Mosin Nagant rifle. A lighter trigger pull can produce better accuracy for the shooter.