Mosin Nagant: Emphasize Sight Markings
The Mosin Nagant rifle has several stamped markings on the receiver, and stamped range markings on the sight leaf. The stamped markings are somewhat hard to see, but simply using a white wax crayon will bring out the markings with no permanent modifications to the rifle. Crayon that has been rubbed into the markings can easily be removed with gun cleaner solvent.
- White Wax Crayon
- Paper Towel
Emphasizing Sight Markings
- Remove the sight leaf on the rear sight by drifting out the sight leaf pin.
- Heat the sight leaf with a flame so the wax crayon melts uniformly into the numbers.
- Rub a white crayon into the numbers on the sight leaf.
- Wipe excess wax off the sight leaf while still warm.
- Replace the sight leaf and pin into the rear sight.
Mosin Nagant Tutorials
- Mosin Nagant: Install Rubber Recoil Pad
Installing a rubber recoil pad on a Mosin Nagant will make shooting more comfortable. It is easy to swap the original steel plate with a rubber one.
- Mosin Nagant: Install a Bent Bolt
Mosin Nagants are issued with a straight bolt, which makes installing a scope and mount difficult. A bent bolt allows several types of mounts and scopes to be used.
- Mosin Nagant: Curing Sticky Bolt
Curing a sticky bolt on a Mosin Nagant can be done with gun cleaner solvent and a piece of cloth. Sticky bolts occur from cosmoline build-up or gun powder residue.
- Mosin Nagant: Removing Rear Sight
Mosin Nagant shooters often remove the rear sight leaf or entire rear sight to make some space for a scope and scope mount to be installed. Removing both are easily to do.
- Mosin Nagant: Lighten Trigger Pull
Tin foil can be used to lessen the trigger pull on the Mosin Nagant rifle. A lighter trigger pull can produce better accuracy for the shooter.