Mosquito Bites Treatment of the Itch
Mosquito Bites and I
I love the summer. I even enjoy summer heat most of the time. But probably the thing I hate the most about summertime is those annoying insect pests known as mosquitoes. More specifically, I don't like mosquito bites. Mosquitoes love me, though!
I am one of those humans cursed with blood that mosquitoes find fit for a feast. And when I get a mosquito bite, it swells up terribly with a matching itch. I usually end up scratching my skin until it bleeds. I have even had mosquito bites become infected because I couldn't stop scratching. Mosquito bites bother me more than any other bug bites. So, believe me when I say that these remedies for mosquito bites work.
Through trial and error and a lot of research, I have come up with a few solutions. Home made remedies for the itching and swelling are below. And I've found effective ways to prevent mosquito bites for the most part using mosquito natural repellent and mosquito control methods when I'm outdoors around my home.
The Best Mosquito Bites Treatment for Me
Maybe the weirdest, but most effective, mosquito bites treatment for me is ammonia. Yep, that stinky cleaner. I apply it neat with a cotton swab straight onto the itching mosquito bite. I avoid the surrounding skin as much as I can. The swelling stops. But the fantastic thing is it relieves the itch instantly!
Now, I wouldn't recommend using this if you are going to be out in public or want any cuddling later in the evening. And I don't know about safety concerns, either. Applied to a few small mosquito bites I don't really believe would be harmful.
I wouldn't apply it to an entire leg or similar large area of the body. Of course, I would not use this treatment for mosquito bites on kids or around small pets. But it works! And that's all I care about to end the itching and misery of mosquito bites.
If you don't suffer seriously when bitten by mosquitoes, I would recommend the less 'severe' mosquito bites treatments below. But if like me, you lose sleep, scratch until you cause scabs and infection, and just generally become miserable from mosquito bites, then it's probably worth trying ammonia for mosquito bite relief.
Oh yeah, I am even more sure of the safety and usage of my ammonia mosquito treatment now. Why? I was in the store recently and just happened to see a tube of ointment for treating mosquito bites sticking out of the end aisle.
It was getting close to mosquito season. I thought, "Hey, that would be handy to carry in my purse if it works." I then checked the active ingredients. You got it- ammonia!
All About Mosquitoes National Geographic Video
More Mosquito Bites Treatments That May Work for You
Here are some other effective, but less drastic, mosquito bite remedies:
- Straight rubbing alcohol works almost as well on itchy mosquito bites as ammonia. But to tell the truth, the smell of rubbing alcohol takes my breath away. I prefer the stench of ammonia, believe it or not!
- Also, straight bleach is a really effective mosquito treatment. And it also is a bit drastic. But I really don't want to take the chance of having white spots dotted all over my body. And that's what would happen if I used bleach to treat mosquito bites, because I don't get just one or two mosquito bites, but a whole litter of them! Of course, never use the bleach and ammonia mosquito bugs bites remedies concurrently, or right after each other. The mixing of the fumes can be deadly. To be extra safe, I wouldn't use anything else on my skin at all if I applied bleach without thoroughly washing off the bleach first. And never use it on kids or pets!
- If you keep witch hazel around, it works pretty well at eliminating the itch of mosquito bites.
- I got desperate one night at a friend's house when I was getting gobbled up by mosquitoes. I had babies at the time. My daughter was teething, so I had some Orajel brand ointment for teething pain in my purse. I thought, why not? If it numbs gums, maybe it will take away the pain and itching of a mosquito bite. And it did work!
- If you have worse than average reactions to mosquito bites or are suffering from many mosquito bites, often taking Benadryl or similar allergy medication will help both the swelling and itching. I do this if I just can't stop scratching.
- I told a friend about the Orajel as a mosquito bites treatment. She laughed and said she uses something similar: Chloraseptic sore throat spray. Both products numb the area, so it makes sense that they each work for mosquito bite relief!
- A crushed up aspirin dissolved in water applied to mosquito bites is an effective mosquito bites remedy. Mix it with rubbing alcohol instead to kill germs as well.
- Some people claim calamine lotion works for their itchy mosquito bites. This mosquito bite remedy has never worked for me. But if you have a bottle around, it's worth a shot to try it.
- Tea tree oil works pretty well for treating bites. I'm a firm believer in the power of tea tree oil, and this is one of its many uses.
- Peppermint essential oil is a hit or miss for me. Sometimes I've used it, and it worked immediately and was very effective for a decent time. Other times, it either didn't work very well or didn't last very long. I don't know what caused the different reactions.
- It IS funny, but if most of the problem with mosquito bites is swelling, hemorrhoid cream applied directly to the mosquito bite will help reduce the swelling. Makes sense if you think about it.
- I have friends who use a paste of baking soda and water for relieving mosquito bites. Again, it doesn't work for me, but I know of at least a couple of people who use this effectively as a treatment for mosquito bites.
- I know more than one person that swears that meat tenderizer mixed with water as a paste is the best mosquito bites treatment ever. I don't keep meat tenderizer in the house, so I haven't tried it.
- Toothpaste applied directly to the bite works pretty well at providing relief from mosquito bites.
- I have never used honey for mosquito bites, but many people swear by it. I believe that honey could be a very effective, natural mosquito bites treatment. I use honey for many other healing purposes. It heals infections internally and externally. It is great at drawing out toxins. So, it makes sense that it would work for mosquito bites relief!
One Last Mosquito Bites Remedy Tip
All of these mosquito bites treatments work best if applied as soon as possible after you know you have been bitten. Reapply if needed whenever the itching starts again.