- Sports and Recreation»
- Team Sports»
- American Football
My 20 Most Intriguing College Football Games of Week 3 (2011)
Week 3 2011 College Football
It is week 3 of the 2011 college football season and although there have been a couple of marquee matchups the first two weeks most of the games have bascially been warm up games. But now teams will start to play tougher competition and we will be able to see what teams are made of from now until the end of the season. We will see what teams' will establish themselves and what teams that have some work to do or the teams that are pretenders instead of contenders. I have chosen 20 games for week 3 that are the most intriguing of the college football weekend and here they are from 1-20.
Impact Players on Offense For Week 3
My Top 20 Matchups for Week 3
1) Oklahoma (1-0) at Florida State (2-0) - The question is "Is Florida State back"? The atmosphere in Tallahassee will be electric as top rank Oklahoma comes to town. The Sooners are coming off of a bye week after defeating Tulsa 47-14 in week 1. The Noles had two warm up games, beating La. Monroe in week 1 34-0 and FCS Charleston Southern 62-10 last week. These two teams met last year in Norman as the Sooners blowed away the Seminoles by 30. The Noles will be looking for revenge and a return to the national stage as well.
2) (Thurs.) LSU (2-0) at Mississippi State (1-1) - Both teams will be coming off a short week having played last Saturday. LSU beat down FCS Northwestern State 49-3 and Mississippi State coming off a heart breaking lost to Auburn on the road where they were stopped on the goalline as time expired. This should be an interesting game especially for Miss. State as they don't want to start off 0-2 in conference play.
3) Tennessee (2-0) at Florida (2-0) - This game use to be for the SEC East title and it may can have a say so again with the turmoil going at Georgia. But these are two upcoming teams in the SEC East and the winner of this game can put themselves in good position for a start at the SEC East crown. The Vols were impressive last week beating Cincinnati 45-23. But now they have to travel to "The Swamp" where they haven't won since 2004 and have dropped six straight to the Gators.
4) Ohio State (2-0) at Miami(FL) (0-1) - Senior quarterback Jacory Harris along with 4 other players will return for this game after serving a suspension in week 1 in lost to Maryland 32-24. The Canes will be looking for some payback as these two teams met last year in Columbus with the Buckeyes winning 36-24. Ohio State is coming off a win against Toledo where they had to hold on to beat there in state rival 27-22.
5) Auburn (2-0) at Clemson (2-0) - Auburn has some how won to close games in a row to start the season. First it was a win against Utah State where they had to comeback from 10 points down and last week they stopped Miss. State on the goalline to preserve the win. But now they go on the road to Clemson where it is always tough to play. Last season Auburn came back from 17-0 halftime score to beat Clemson in overtime 27-24.
6) Michigan State (2-0) at Notre Dame (0-2) - This is absolutely a must win for Notre Dame if they want to accomplish some things for the 2011 season after dropping a heart breaker to Michigan in Ann Arbor last week 35-31 and losing to South Florida in week 1 23-20. Now comes Michigan State to South Bend and this will not be an easy task at all. This will be the Spartans first true test of the season as they had two warm up games against Youngstown State in week 1 and Florida Atlantic last week.
7) Arizona State (2-0) at Illinois (2-0) - Arizona State is coming off a overtime victory over Missouri 37-30 last Friday night. It was there first win over a ranked opponent since 2007. Illinois will be coming off a beating of South Dakota State by the score of 56-3. The Fighting Illini did get tested a little by Arkansas State in week 1 though winning 33-15. This should be a interesting non conference matchup between these two teams.
8) West Virginia (2-0) at Maryland (1-0) - Maryland will be coming off a bye week after there win over Miami(FL) in week 1 on Labor Day. They will now host a West Virginia team who they have lost to the last five times they have face each other. The Mountaineers can't get caught looking ahead either as they will be facing top rank LSU next week in Morgantown.
9) Texas (2-0) at UCLA (1-1) - Last year UCLA came into Austin and put a whipping on Texas 34-12. Texas is coming off a one point win over BYU in Austin last week as for UCLA had a subpar performance in beating San Jose State last week 27-17 getting there first win of the season after dropping there season opener to Houston 38-34.
10) Washington (2-0) at Nebraska (2-0) - Last week Fresno State gave Nebraska all it can handle before losing to the Cornhuskers 42-29. On the other Washington struggle beating FCS Eastern Washington in week 1 30-27 and had to hold on the win against Hawaii last week after going up 21-0 in the first quarter but just winning by a score of 40-32. These two teams met twice last season with Nebraska destroying Washington 56-21 in week 3 of 2010. But the Huskies return the favor by beating the Cornhuskers in the Holiday Bowl last year 19-7.
Here are ten other games to look for in week 3 college football 2011 season.
11) Utah (1-1) at BYU (1-1)
12) Stanford (2-0) at Arizona (1-1)
13) Central Florida (2-0) at Florida International (2-0)
14) Penn State (1-1) at Temple (2-0)
15) Boise State (1-0) at Toledo (1-1)
16) Oklahoma State (2-0) at Tulsa (1-1)
17) Pittsburgh (2-0) at Iowa (1-1)
18) Louisville (1-1) at Kentucky (2-0)
19) Marshall (1-1) at Ohio (2-0)
20) Syracuse (2-0) at USC (2-0)