My 20 Most Intriguing Matchups For Week 5 (College Football 2011)
Impact Players for Week 5
Top Games For Week 5
- Nebraska (4-0) at Wisconsin (4-0) - This will be Wisconsin's first true test of the season considering that they have won there first four games by an average score of 48.5 to 8.5! Now comes new Big Ten member Nebraska to Madison for a Saturday night showdown. This will be Wisconsin's fourth home game out of five games they have played. The Cornhuskers open up the first Big Ten game on the road, they are coming off a 24 point victory over Wyoming in Laramie, WY. This game will have Big Ten title hope aspirations to it as both teams are highly ranked. They also could possibly meet again if they take care of business in Big Ten conference for they are in separate divisions Nebraska (Legends Divison) and Wisconsin (Leaders Division).
- Alabama (4-0) at Florida (4-0) - These two teams will meet in Gainesville Saturday night for the sixth time since 2005 with Alabama winning three ('05, '09, '10). In those Tide three victories the scoring average has been 31.3 to 7.3. The last time Alabama came to Gainesville in 2006 the Gators came away with a 28-13 victory. But this Tide team is much different than this as the 2006 Alabama team wasn't ranked. Head Coach Nick Saban of Alabama will face his pupil Will Muschamp of Florida. This is the start of a tough stretch for Florida as they will face LSU in Baton Rouge and Auburn at Jordan-Hare and take a bye week and face Georgia in Jacksonville on the 29th of October.
- Arkansas (3-1) vs Texas (2-1) (Arlington) - These two teams still have a lot to play for still although both are coming off disappointing conference losses. Texas A&M blew a 17 point halftime lead at home to Oklahoma State losing 30-29 last week while Arkansas was beaten badly by Alabama last week in Tuscaloosa 38-14. The winner of this game will still be in contention for a bcs bowl birth but will need some for national title hopes.
- Clemson (4-0) at Virginia Tech (4-0) - Clemson has had two emotional wins the last two weeks at home against Auburn and beating ACC Atlantic foe Florida State. This is a big opportunity for Clemson take really take that step they have been looking for. But it want be easy as they face defending ACC champ Virginia Tech in Blacksburg. The last time Clemson visited Blacksburgh was in 2006, the Tigers were ranked #10 in the nation but lost 24-7. This first bcs conference team this year as there first four games were Appalachian State, at East Carolina, Arkansas State and at Marshall.
- Michigan State (3-1) at Ohio State (3-1) - These two teams won a share of the Big Ten title last season. A lot has change at Ohio State with the departure of former head coach Jim Tressell and quarterback Terrell Pryor. Now the Buckeyes open up conference play against Michigan State (Legends Division). These two teams last met in 2008 in East Lansing where Ohio State destroyed the Spartans 45-7. Both teams will be coming off of non conference victories, Ohio State beat Colorado 37-17 and Michigan State took apart Central Michigan 45-7.
- Auburn (3-1) at South Carolina (4-0) - These two teams met twice last season, one in the regular season in Jordan-Hare where Auburn came back in the fourth quarter to win 35-27 after being down 27-21 going into the fourth quarter. They also met in the SEC Title Game where Auburn pulled away in the second half winning in a rout 56-17. The Gamecocks are 2-0 in conference play with wins over Georgia and Vanderbilt a week ago while Auburn is 1-0 in conference play with a victory over Mississippi State.
- Miss. State (2-2) at Georgia (2-2) - Last season Miss. State beat Georgia in Starkville snapping a nine game losing streak to the Bulldogs. Now both teams come into this game needing a win to stay alive in the SEC race. Georgia picked up its first conference win last week by beating Ole Miss in Oxford 27-13 while Mississippi State will be seeking its first conference win having already dropped there first two to Auburn in week 2 and LSU in week 3. A Georgia victory could put them right back in SEC East race but Miss. State really needs a victory they can't afford to start 0-3 in the SEC West.
- Baylor (3-0) at Kansas State (3-0) - These two teams have been quite a surprise in the early part of the college football season. Baylor has been led by heisman canidate quarterback Robert Griffin III while Kansas State is coming off a road win against Miami,Fl where they stopped the Canes on the goalline on fourth down to win the game. This will be Baylor's first road game of the season as they open up Big 12 conference play. Last year Baylor beat the Wildcats by a score 47-42 in Waco.
- (Friday) SMU (3-1) at TCU (3-1) - The Horn Frogs have won three straight after dropping there season opener to Baylor and so have SMU as well the Mustangs have won three in a row too after dropping there season opener to Texas A&M. SMU hasn't won in Forth Worth since 1993. These two teams met last year in Dallas with TCU pulling away mid way in the 3rd quarter on there way to a 41-24 win.
Washington (3-1) at Utah (2-1) - These two teams last met in 1979. Now they are conferences foes with Washington in the Pac 12 North and Utah in the Pac 12 South. The Huskies are coming off a conference victory last week at home against California. Utah is coming off a bye week, the Utes have already played one conference game, losing to USC in Los Angeles 17-14.
Here are the rest of my top matchups for week 5
11. UCLA (2-2) at Stanford (3-0)
12. Texa (3-0) at Iowa State (3-0)
13. (Thurs.) South Florida (4-0) at Pittsburgh (2-2)
14. Toledo (1-3) at Temple (3-1)
15. Rutgers (2-1) at Syracuse (3-1)
16. Air Force (2-1) at Navy (2-1)
17. Northwestern (2-1) at Illinois (4-0)
18. Rice (1-2) at Southern Miss (3-1)
19. Arizona (1-3) at USC (3-1)
20. UAB (0-3) at Troy (1-2) - Being that I am from Birmingham, AL I will just put this on here for the heck of it.