- Sports and Recreation
Olympics Revisited 2012
With just a few days left for the Olympics London is all set to host the Olympics 2012. Olympics are a major sports event where more than 200 countries participate. London Olympics 2012 will make it the only city in the history of modern Olympics to have hosted the games 3 times. It has hosted the Olympics in 1908 and 1948 earlier.
The 1908 Olympics
The 1908 Olympics was scheduled to be held at Rome but due to the eruption of Mount Vesuvius on April 7 1906 the venue was cancelled. The funds were used to reconstruct the parts of Rome which were destructed. The White City Stadium was built in short time period and was considered a technological marvel by many experts. The games laid the foundation for setting up rules for the sports. The game saw the presence of 2008 athletes representing 22 nations from all around the world. The winner of Olympics 1908 was Great Britain with 146 medals out of which 56 were Gold.
The 1948 Olympics
London had earlier won the bid for hosting Olympics in 1944 but the games were cancelled due to World War II. In 1948 Olympics revisited London and at that time it became the first city to host Olympics twice. Post World War II London was ravaged but still decided to host the Olympics and took it as an opportunity to restore Britain. Germany and Japan were not invited in the game and USSR preferred not to send any athletes. No new venues or accommodation were constructed for the participating athletes. 59 nations participated in the games with over 4000 athletes.
London Olympics 2012
Starting from 27th July the London Olympics is set to generate 10 billion GBP as revenue. 205 nations are participating in the event. The Olympic stadium would be the main attraction with a seating capacity of 80,000 which would be reduced to 60,000 after the games. The Olympic park would be renamed as Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park after the Olympics in honor of the Queen.
Some Facts about the 2012 Olympics
· The material used for making the Olympic park is reusable or recyclable.
· The Sports equipment used in the games will be given in charity after the games for free.
· 4 billion spectators are expected during the Olympiad
· The Mascots for the 2012 London Olympics are Wenlock and Mandeville.
· The motto of Olympics 2012 is “Inspire a Generation”
· Over 10,000 athletes would be participating in the events.
· 10 million tickets are on sale so what are you waiting for, book your tickets before it’s too late.