Pictorial History of Boxing's Cruiserweight Division
Great Cruiserweight Boxers and Fights!
Top 10 Cruiserweight Boxers Ever
1. Evander Holyfield- The Real Deal won a Bronze medal in the 84 Olympic games and then in 1986 in only his second year as a professional he won the Cruiserweight title by beating Dwight Muhammad Qwai by 15 round decision.(The last bout to ever go 15 rounds before it was abolished.) Holyfield rematched the legendary Qwai and knocked him out decisively in four one sided and brutal rounds. Holyfield unified the Cruiserweight titles and never lost as a Cruiserweight boxer.
2. Carlos DeLeon- De Leon is the first boxer to win the Cruiserweight title twice. He is from Puerto Rico and he finished his career with a record of 52-8-1 with 32 knockouts. Overall, Sugar De Leon held the title 4 times and if it were not for Evander Holyfield he would be the most accomplished of the 190 pounders. De Leon lost by knockout to Holyfield but he also beat his share of champions and contenders such as Leon Spinks, Marvin Camel and Yaqui Lopez.
3. Johnny Nelson- Nelson was the WBO Cruiserweight champion for 7 and a half years and he defended his crown 13 total times. His final resume reads 45-12-2 with 29 knockouts. He had solid boxing skills and he fought a who's who of the cruiserweights. Among his opponents were: Carlos De Leon, James Warring and David Russell.
4. Juan Carlos Gomez- The Black Panther is a southpaw heavyweight but as a Cruiser he won the WBC strap and defended it ten times and he never lost his laurels in the ring. His right jab and footwork were the staples for his success. Among his victims were: Jorge Castro, Marcelo Dominguez and Alfred Ice Cole.
5. David Haye- The Hayemaker was a very big puncher in the cruiserweight division and he suffered only one defeat in this weight class which occurred in his 11th pro bout. He beat Jean Marc Mormeck for the unified 190 pound crown by 7th round K.O. Among his victims were: Mormeck, Enzo Maccarinelli and Giacobbi Fragomeni.
6. James Toney- Lights Out Toney had a relatively short stay in the Cruiserweight class but he was explosive. Toney has a great defense and some of the best counter punching skills the sport has ever seen. He beat the undefeated champion Vasily Jirov, scoring a knockdown and winning a unanimous decision for his laurels. Also, Toney posted wins at Cruiserweight over top contenders and former Champions Saul Montana, Adolpho Washington and Jason Robinson. Toney's is still an active boxer as of 2013 but his record reads 74-8-3 with 45 knockouts.
7. Vassilly Jirov- The Russian Tiger knocked out Arthur Williams in seven one sided rounds to become the IBF Cruiserweight champion and he defended it five times before losing a close decision to James Toney. He also won three non title bouts in that time. He has a porous defense but he is a great pressure fighter and he usually wins by a war of attrition. Jirov has wins over Saul Montana, Adolpho Washington and Julian Letterlough.
8. Al Cole- Ice Cole pounded out a hard fought victory over James Warring for the 190 pound belt and defended it six times. He was not great at any one thing but he was good at everything. Among his best wins are beating the likes of Uriah Grant(Twice), Warring and Nate Miller.
9. Anaclet Wamba- Wamba beat Massie Duran by knockout to win the Cruiserweight Crown and he defended it seven times before retiring without losing the belt in the ring. Among his best wins were victories over Rickey Parkey, Duran and Rocky Bentley. His chin was very solid which is an often overlooked fact.
10. O' Neil Bell- Supernova held all the Cruiserweight titles at once and he beat Dale Brown for his first championship. His best wins posted were over Brown, Jean Marc Mormeck and Arthur Williams.
Prizefighting Hubs For Your Enjoyment
- Prizefighter Tribute: James Toney
This pugilism hub documents the great career of James "Lights Out" Toney. He won the Middleweight, Super Middleweight and Cruiserweight World Championships. Pictures, you tube clips, maps, polls, a quiz and commentary are also featured in this fact f
- Boxing's Best Cruiserweight Fighters of All Time
This article is about the top Cruiserweight fighters in boxing history. Evander Holyfield, Dwight Qwai and James Toney are featured in this hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are also listed in this hub. The Real Deal Evander
- Top 10 Quickest Hands in Boxing History
This boxing article chronicles the Prizefighters with the fastest hands in the sports history. Roy Jones, Sugar Ray Leonard and Wilfred Benitez are listed in this blog along with pictures and videos.
- Boxing's Best Counter Puncher's of All Time
This prizefighting hub documents the best counter punchers in boxing history including James Toney, Evander Holyfield and Sugar Ray Robinson. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube clips and commentary are featured in this blog as well.
- Prizefighter Tribute: Evander Holyfield
This article documents the great boxer, Evander" The Real Deal" Holyfield. Holyfield is the former Cruiserweight and four Time Heavyweight Champion of the World. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary are also featured in this pug
Boxing Gloves on Amazon
James Toney Vs. Vastly JirovTitle Bout Highlights
Evander"The Real Deal" Holyfield's Best Cruiser Wins
Dwight Muhammad Qawi
Carlos De Leon
Dwight Muhammad Qawi 2
Evander Holyfield Was More Than a Cruiserweight
Evander "The Real Deal" Holyfield won the heavyweight championship of the world four times and he beat many great fighters in the process. In fact, Holyfield is Hall of Fame worthy as a Cruiserweight and as a Heavyweight fighter. In his prime he was a true physical specimen. He unified the championships in the Cruiserweight and heavyweight divisions during his illustrious career.
Clips From David Haye Vs. Dereck Chisora
When Did It Start?
view quiz statistics
Clips of Evander Holyfield vs. Dwight Qawi
Who is The Top Fighter?
Who is the best Cruiserweight fighter in boxing history?
Birthplace of Evander Holyfield
© 2013 Buster Johnson