- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
Pictorial History of Boxing's Featherweight Division
122 Pound Legends of The Ring
Who is The Best?
Who is the best Featherweight boxer in history?
Everlast Professional Training Gloves
The 10 Best Featherweights of all Time
1. Willie Pep: The Will of the Wisp is perhaps the finest defensive boxer in history. His defense, footwork and jab were simply marvelous. He retired with a record of 229 wins, eleven losses and one draw. Pep beat Sal Bartolo for The Featherweight Championship and after losing it to Sandy Saddler he won a rematch to become a two time Featherweight champ. He was named fighter of the year in 1945. He was not a hard puncher but, he usually out landed his opponents by 5 to 1 on average during his bouts. His greatest victories came against Saddler, Bartolo, Paddy DeMarco and Chalky Wright.
2. Salvador Sanchez: The Invincible Eagle died at only 23 years old but, still made a Hall of Fame career with a resume that reads 44-1-1 with 32 knockouts to his credit. He had great speed, reflexes and power. Sanchez probably had the best footwork of any Mexican fighter ever born. He knocked out Danny Lopez for the 126 pound laurels and made nine defenses before he passed away from a car wreck. His biggest wins came against Azumah Nelson, Lopez, Wilfredo Gomez and Ruben Castillo.
3. Henry Armstrong: Homicide Hank knocked out Petey Sarron in six rounds for the featherweight championship and held the title from 1937-1938 before vacating it. Armstrong was a whirlwind of punches in the ring. He had power but more than anything he had stamina through the roof. He could win bouts with either hand and he retired with a record of 150-21-10 with 101 knockouts. His biggest wins in this weight class came against Sarron, Benny Bass, Frankie Klick and Chalky Wright.
4. Sandy Saddler: Saddler is a two time featherweight champion who won the crown both times by knocking out Willie Pep. He retired with a resume of 144-16-2 with 103 knockouts. He is a devastating puncher known for power in both hands. He also had a solid jab and good chin. Saddler's biggest victories came against Pep, Paddy DeMarco, Flash Elorde and Teddy Davis.
5. Azumah Nelson: The Professor was the featherweight champion of the world from 1984 until vacating the throne in 1988. Nelson knocked out Wilfredo Gomez for the title and made six defenses before moving up in weight. He has great ring generalship and his power, chin and jab are wonderful tools of the trade he possesses. His top wins came by conquering Gomez, Pat Cowdell, Marcos Villasana, Danilo Cabrera and Juvenal Ordenes.
6. Manny Pacquiao: Pac Man knocked out Hall of Famer Marco Antonio Barrera in 11 rounds to become featherweight king. In defenses of the crown he destroyed Fahsan 3K Battery in four rounds and fought a draw with the legendary Juan Manuel Marquez. In that bout he floored Marquez three times. As a featherweight Pacquiao had explosive speed and power which is a deadly combination. Not to mention the southpaw had brilliant footwork.
7. Abe Attell: The Little Hebrew won the featherweight crown twice and the second time he held it for six years. His best wins came against Battling Nelson, Johnny Kilbane, Johnny Reagan and Frankie Neil. He left the fight game with a final tally of 72 wins, 9 losses and 16 draws. He scored 39 knockouts. He was known for his jab, ring generalship and amazing stamina.
8. Marco Antonio Barrera: The Baby Faced Assassin was known for a brutal left hook to the body and a strong desire and will but he also had excellent boxing skills complimented by a text book jab. He beat the undefeated Prince Naseem Hamed for the title and defended it four times before falling to Manny Pacquiao. His best wins in this weight class came against Erik Morales, Johnny Tapia, Paulie Ayala and Hamed.
9. Naseem Hamed: The Prince was one of the best single shot knockout punchers in featherweight history. He was left handed and very unorthodox in the ring. Hamed knocked out Steve Robinson in 8 for the featherweight championship and racked up 15 defenses before being dethroned by Marco Antonio Barrera. His best wins were over Kevin Kelley, Wilfredo Vazquez, Tom Johnson and Manuel Medina.
10. Alexis Arguello: Arguello had height, reach, accuracy and power that were hard to match at featherweight. He knocked out Ruben Olivares in 13 for the crown and defended it four times along with a few non title wins as well. His best wins came against Olivares, Royal Kobayashi, Leonel Hernandez and Rigoberto Riasco.
* Please share with me your opinion on who you believe is the best featherweight boxer of all time is in the comments capsule which is located at the bottom of this page.
Prince Naseem Hamed
List of Boxing's Weight Classes
Problems With Boxing Throughout The Years
1. Fixed Fights- Many boxers have admitted to taking a dive during bouts.
2. Rigged Rankings- Rankings have been manipulated in the past because of payoffs.
3. Dirty Fighters- Their has been boxers who have used loaded gloves to get an advantage not to mention boxers who have taken steroids.
Boxing like other sports has and always will have issues. The three items listed above are just a sample of boxing's ills.
- Boxing's Best Commentators of All Time
This article is about the top commentators and men behind the mic in boxing. Larry Merchant, Al Bernstein, Jim Lampley and Max Kellerman are documented in this prizefighting hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are listed here.
- Boxing's Blood and Guts Warriors
This article is about the top boxing Warriors ever. Arturro Gatti, Mickey Ward, Diego Corrales, Evander Holyfield and Rocky Graziano are documented in this hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls, commentary and links to other boxing related hubs
- Best Boxing Television Networks in America
This article discusses the top boxing television channels in history. HBO, Showtime, ABC and ESPN are documented in this sports hub. Pictures, videos, maps, polls and commentary are listed here.
- Prizefighter Tribute: Evander Holyfield
This article documents the great boxer, Evander" The Real Deal" Holyfield. Holyfield is the former Cruiserweight and four Time Heavyweight Champion of the World. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary are also featured in this pug
- Boxing's Best Bantamweights of All Time
This article is about the top Bantamweights boxers in history. Johnny Tapia, Vic Toweel, Fighting Harada and Rafael Marquez are all listed in this hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are featured in this hub.
Barrera and Pacman Go To War
Highlights From Manny Pacquiao vs. Marco Antonio Barrera 1
Tribute To Salvador Sanchez
Did They Fight?
view quiz statistics
Birthplace of Salvador Sanchez
Willie Pep Highlights
© 2013 Buster Johnson