- Sports and Recreation»
- Individual Sports
Pictorial History of Boxing's Jr. Featherweight Division
Greats of The Game
Who is The Best?
Who is the best Jr. Featherweight boxer in history?
What is The Weight Limit?
view quiz statistics
Top 10 Junior Featherweights of All Time
1. Wilfredo Gomez: Bazooka won the 122 pound championship by knocking out Dong-Kyun Yum and he tallied 13 defenses before moving up in weight. He later won the crown again and made four more defenses. Gomez is one of the hardest punchers in the sports history. He retired with a final record of 44-3-1 with 42 knockout wins. He was known for his power and his skill at cutting off the ring. He was a deadly combination puncher with fight ending power in both fists. His best wins in this division came against Carlos Zarate, Nicky Perez, Lupe Pinter and Derrik Holmes.
2. Erik Morales: El Terrible knocked out Daniel Zaragoza in 11 rounds for the crown and made nine defenses before moving up in weight. Morales never lost in this weight class and he had power, accuracy, smart pressure and a steel chin and will on his side in his prime. His top wins as a jr. featherweight came against Zaragoza, Marco Antonio Barrera, Junio Jones, Wayne McCullough and Juan Carlos Ramirez.
3. Marco Antonio Barrera: The Baby Faced Assassin beat Daniel Jimenez for the belt and made 8 strait defenses before losing to Junior Jones. He regained the crown and made five more title defenses. Barrera was known for his brutal left hook to the body, his aggressive style and pwer in his shots. Later in his career he developed great boxing skills especially with his pin point jab. The best victories he had in this weight class were against Kennedy McKinney, Agapito Sanchez, Daniel Jimenez and Jesse Magana.
4. Kennedy McKinney: King McKinney knocked out Welcome Ncita in 11 rounds to capture the championship and defended it five times before losing it to Vuyani Bungu. McKinney won the crown one more time by knocking out Junior Jones. He had excellent ring generalship, a snappy jab and supreme heart. (As witnessed when he took a beating from Marco Antonio Barrera). His best wins in this weight class have come from beating the likes of Welcome Ncita, Sugar Baby Rojas, Jesus Salud, Junior Jones and Hector Acero-Sanchez.
5. Wilfredo Vazquez: Vazquez beat Raul Perez by third round knockout for the championship belt and held it from 1992-1995. He successfully defended his laurels nine times before losing to Antonio Cermeno. Vazquez was a boxer puncher with solid fundamentals including a good jab, nice footwork and a tight defensive guard. The biigest victories he achieved in this division came against Raul Perez, Freddy Cruz, Thierry Jacob (twice), Orlando Canizales and Luis Mendoza.
6. Tracy Harris Patterson: Caesar knocked out Thierry Jacob in two rounds to win the title and made four defenses. Patterson retired with a pro mark of 63-8-2 with 43 knockouts to his credit. Although he has power he is known more for his solid defense and his good boxing skills especially his jab, feints and footwork. His best wins as a jr. featherweight came against Jacob, Daniel Zaragoza, Jesse Benavides and Richard Duran.
7. Israel Vazquez: Magnifico is a two time junior featherweight title holder who made six total defenses during his reigns. He had power in both hands and a solid chin not to mention his legendary heart that he has displayed many times. Defense was his biggest drawback. Vazquez had several big wins in this weight class most notably against Jose Luis Valbuena, Rafael Marquez(twice), Oscar Larios, Jhonny Gonzalez and Ever Beleno.
8. Vuyani Bungu: The Beast beat undefeated Kennedy McKinney for the crown and made 13 defenses before vacating to move up to featherweight. His final record reads 39-5 with 19 knockouts. He had good ring generalship and decent power. His chin was also sturdy and he was adapt at blocking punches(except against Naseem Hamed). The top wins he achieved in this division were against McKinney(twice), Jesus Salud, Danny Romero and Felix Camacho.
9. Oscar Larios: Chololo beat Israel Vazquez for the championship and tallied nine defenses. He is known for his heart and aggressive style. Although he has been hurt numerous times he always gives his all and his combination punching on the inside is very brutal. Larios has had many quality wins including victories over Vazquez, Willie Jorrin, Nedal Hussein and Wayne McCullough.
10. Daniel Zaragoza: The Mouse is a three time jr. featherweight king who made 11 total defenses during his reigns. His final resume reads 55-8-3 with 28 knockouts. He is not great at any one thing but he is very good at every aspect of the game. Solid power and skills. His biggest setback would be his lack of speed. The best wins of Zaragoza's career have came against Carlos Zarate, Hector Acero-Sanchez, Wayne McCullough and Joichiro Tatsuyoshi.
Ways To Gain Victory in Boxing
The Baby Faced Assassin and El Terrible Wage War
Double End Bags From Title
Five Unforgettable Jr. Featherweight Bouts
1. Israel Vazquez W12 Rafael Marquez 3 (March 1, 2008)
2. Rafael Marquez TKO7 Israel Vazquez 2 (August 4, 2007)
3. Erik Morales W12 Marco Antonio Barrera 1 (February 19, 2000)
4. Wilfredo Gomez TKO 5 Carlos Zarate (October 28, 1978)
5. Marco Antonio Barrera TKO 12 Kennedy McKinney (February 3, 1996)
I could list 5o bouts from this division that were great but the above fights were legendary.
A Look At The Great Marco Antonio Barrera
Two Mexican Over Achievers
The Wide World of Sports!
- Best Tennis Players of All Time
This article focuses on the best Tennis players ever. Roger Federer, John McEnroe, Jimmy Conners and Arthur Ashe are highlighted in this hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are highlighted throughout this blog. John McEnroe had
- Best Male Golfers of All Time
This article describes the top Golfers in history including Jack Nicklaus, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer and Tiger Woods. Pictures, videos and commentary are listed in this sports hub.
- Best Matches in Wrestlemania History
This article documents the top wrestling matches in the history of the WWF and WWE. Bouts including Hulk Hogan, Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair, The Undertaker and Shawn Michaels are featured in this hub. Pictures, maps, you tube videos, polls and commen
- UFC's Best Fighters of all Time
This article is about the top fighters in UFC history. The best mixed martial arts fighters are here such as Royce Gracie, Anderson Silva and Randy Couture. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are featured in this hub.
- Best Defensive Players in NFL History
This is an article about the best defwnsive players in NFL history. Ray Lewis, Rod Woodson and Brian Urlacker are highlighted in this hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are all discussed in this hub about prize fighting.
Career Highlights of Erik Morales
Birthplace of Erik Morales (Tijuana)
A Tribute To Wilfredo Gomez
© 2013 Buster Johnson