Pictorial History of Boxing's Jr. Lightweight Division
Legends of The Squared Circle
Who is The Best?
Who is the best Jr. Lightweight champion of all time?
How Much Can They Weigh?
view quiz statistics
Junior Lightweight Legends
1. Alexis Arguello: Arguello knocked out Ruben Olivares for the world title and held the title from 1978 till vacating to move up to lightweight in 1980. Among his victims were Olivares, Alfredo Escalera (twice), Bobby Chacon and Bazooka Limon. Arguello had vicious power at 130 pounds and he was tall, rangy and accurate. Arguello could box from long range with a stiff jab and dangerous straight right hands or pummple his opponents during up close exchanges.
2. Azumah Nelson: The Professor had knockout power, a great chin and perfect timing with his shots. This counter puncher won the 130 pound belts three different times. His greatest wins included beating Jeff Fenech, Jesse James Leija, Gabe Ruelas, Juan La Port and Calvin Grove. He made 10 defenses over the course of three reigns. Nelson was always calm, cool and collective inside the squared circle.
3. Flash Elorde: Gabriel Flash Elorde holds the record for the longest reign in this division which lasted 7 years. Elorde made 10 defenses of the title and unified the weight class during that time. He was a southpaw with a great jab and very fast foot work. His best wins came against Harold Gomez, Sandy Saddler, Joey Lopes and Kang 2- Suh. Elorde was hard to hit with more than one punch at a time.
4. Floyd Mayweather, Jr.: Pretty Boy Floyd, as he used to be called, knocked out Genaro Hernandez in 8 rounds for the championship and made 8 defenses before vacating and moving up. Mayweather was a defensive master with great speed and reflexes. His top wins in this weight class came against Hernandez, Diego Corrales and Angel Manfredy. Mayweather was at his absolute best in this weight class because he was in his prime and was a force in all areas. Mayweather would be higher ranking on this list but, he moved up to the Lightweight Division.
5. Julio Cesar Chavez: J.C. Chavez knocked out Mario Martinez in 8 rounds to claim the championship and made 9 defenses before moving up to the lightweight division. He never lost in this weight and he had a steel chin and brutal body attack. His best wins came against Roger Mayweather, Martinez, Rocky Lockridge and Juan La Porte. Chavez could adjust inside the prize ring and he always won without controversy while boxing in this division. Although thought of as a slugger, he had a very good jab and solid footwork as well.
6. Genaro Hernandez: Chicanito is a two time Jr. Lightweight World Champion who beat Daniel Londas and Azumah Nelson for his championships. He had great technical skill and had good footwork and an excellent jab. His top wins came over Nelson, Londas, Carlos Hernandez, Jorge Paez and Harold Warren. Hernandez tallied eleven defenses over the course of two total reigns. RIP Chicanito.
7. Brian Mitchell: Mitchell was a sublime boxer with a terrific jab. He retired with a resume reading 45-1-3 with 21 knockouts. He beat Alfredo Layne for the championship and made 13 total defenses of the crown. He also had a great chin and he had some solid victories. He beat Tony Lopez, Layne, Jim McDonnell and Frankie Mitchell while a Champion. His only drawback, if there was one, is that he always fought his fights on his home turf in South Africa.
8. Kid Chocolate: The Cuban Bon Bon was Cuba's first ever world champion and he beat Benny Bass in seven rounds to claim the titles. Chocolate was fast and accurate with his hands. For his time he was a great combination puncher as well. His biggest victories in this division came over Lew Feldman (For the Championship), Fidel La Barba, Seaman Tommy Watson and Frankie Wallace.
9. Ben Villaflor: Villaflor beat Alfredo Marcano by 15 round decision to take the jr. lightweight laurels and made two defenses before losing the title. He regained the crown and made an additional five defenses. He had excellent ring smarts and an excellent jab. His biggest victories have come against Kuniaki Shibata, Marcano, Hyun Chi Kim and he had a draw with Sammy Serrano.
10. Juan Manuel Marquez: Marquez is one of the best counter punchers ever and his technique is text book. Marquez beat Marco Antonio Barrera for the world title and defended it by beating Rocky Juarez before vacating to move up. Barrera was a pound for pound fighter and Rocky Juarez was undefeated when Marquez pounded them silly. Marquez has shown heart inside the ring and immense stamina during his bouts. Marquez has won championship belts ina total of four different weight classes.
The Professor Taught Lessons in The Ring
Juan Manuel Marquez and Manny Pacquiao 2
Everlast Leather Speed Bag
Five Great Jr. Lightweight Title Bouts
1. Manny Pacquiao W12 Juan Manuel Marquez: Date- March 15, 2008.
2. Flash Elorde W15 Auburn Copeland: Date- June 23, 1962.
3. Jeff Fenech D12 Azumah Nelson: Date- June 28, 1991.
4. Alexis Arguello T.K.O. 11 Ruben Castillo: Date- January 20, 1980.
5. Tony Lopez D12 Brian Mitchell: Date- March 15, 1991.
Alexis Arguello Tribute
Great Jr. Lightweight Technicians
- Top Nascar Drivers of All Time
This article is about the top race car drivers in the history of Nascar. Dale Earnhart, Jimmie Johnson, Richard Petty and many other racing legends are featured in this hub about the racing world. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary
- Best Male Golfers of All Time
This article describes the top Golfers in history including Jack Nicklaus, Sam Snead, Arnold Palmer and Tiger Woods. Pictures, videos and commentary are listed in this sports hub.
- Best NBA Players in History
This article is about the top basketball players in NBA history. Michael Jordan, Wilt Chamberlain and Kareem Abdul Jabarr are listed here. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed in tis hub.
- Top Running Backs in NFL History
This article focuses on the top running backs in football history. Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Walter Payton and Emmitt Smith are listed in this hub. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are also featured in this blog.
- UFC's Best Fighters of all Time
This article is about the top fighters in UFC history. The best mixed martial arts fighters are here such as Royce Gracie, Anderson Silva and Randy Couture. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are featured in this hub.
Julio Cesar Chavez Career Highlights
Birthplace of Alexis Arguello
© 2013 Buster Johnson