Prizefighter Tribute: Bernard Hopkins
Bernard" The Executioner" Hopkins
Top 5 B-Hop Victories
These are my top picks for B-Hops best victories. However, The Executioner has beaten so many good champions and contenders that I could in fact list twenty great boxers that he has beaten with his great skills and boxing I.Q.
1. Bernard Hopkins T.K.O. in 12 Felix Trinidad: Hopkins was picked to lose but, fighting in New York just a week after the horrific 9/11 twin towers crashes Hopkins beat the undefeated Trinidad into a 12th round technical knockout. B Hop dominated nearly every round with stiff jabs, lead rights and great footwork. Trinidad looked slow and flat footed and could never catch Hopkins flush for the majority of the bout.
2. Bernard Hopkins K.O. 9 Oscar De La Hoya: Hopkins was winning a close fight when he ended matters in the ninth round with a left hook to the body. It's the first and only time The Golden Boy was ever knocked out for the ten count. Hopkins landed the hardest punches throughout the fight most notably the lead right hand and his stiff left jab.
3. Bernard Hopkins won in 12 Antonio Tarver: Hopkins, a career middleweight, moves up in weight and dominates Antonio Tarver for the 175 pound crown. Hopkins won every single round with ease even though he was the underdog. Hopkins was nearly flawless during this fight. He dominated this fight from start to finish by winning every minute of every round.
4. Bernard Hopkins won in 12 Kelly Pavlik: Hopkins was the underdog to the undefeated middleweight king but beat him down and gave him a boxing lesson at the same time. Hopkins won at least 10 or 11 of the 12 round fight using feints, lead rights and brilliant foot movement. In the 12th and final round, Bernard Hopkins had Kelly Pavlik against the ropes and hurt. Pavlik survived the round and the fight.
5. Bernard Hopkins won in 12 Jean Pascal: The Executioner beat Jean Pascal in his hometown of Canada to become the oldest champion in boxing history. Pascal was game but Hopkins was not to be denied. At one point Hopkins did push ups in between rounds.
- Boxing's Worst Decisions of All Time
This article focuses on the worst judging seen in the squared circle. Tommy Hearns vs. Sugar Ray Leonard and Evander Holyfield vs. Lennox Lewis are chronicled in this boxing hub. Also, You tube video clips, maps, polls and commentary are featured in
- Boxing's Best Welterweights of All Time
This article is about the top welterweight fighters in boxing history.Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar Ray Robinson, Felix Trinidad and Henry Armstrong are featured in this blog. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are also listed in this h
- Boxing's Best Lightweights of All Time
This article is about the top lightweight fighters in boxing history. Roberto Duran, Pernell Whitaker and Benny Leonard are featured in this blog. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed here also.
- Best Boxer In Each Weight Class
This article is about my favorite Fighters in each weight class. pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are documented in this hub. Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Felix Trinidad and James Toney are listed in this Pugilism hub.
- Boxing's Hardest Puncher's of All Time
This article is about the hardest Puncher's in the history of boxing. Julian Jackson, Tommy Hearns, George Foreman and Archie Moore are highlighted in this hub. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are listed in this hub.
- Boxers with Great Footwork
This Boxing article focuses on fighters with great footwork. Pernell Whitaker, Willie Pep, Benny Leonard and Sugar Ray Robinson are documented in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are listed in this hub as well.
Boxing on DVD
Modern Day Miracle
Bernard Hopkins is a modern day marvel and an inspiration to millions and even to me. He went to prison for several years for armed robbery but, quickly reformed to embark on a legendary career that includes a record of twenty defenses of the one hundred sixty pound championship and also, he is a two time, one hundred seventy five Champion.
The second time he won the Light Heavyweight Title he was forty six and that too is a boxing record. Hopkins was at his deadly best when he was an underdog which oddly was often. He tortured Felix Trinidad, Kelly Pavlic, Jean Pascal, and Antonio Tarver as an underdog, it seems to motivate him more. He lost his first pro fight and then he lost his twentieth bout to the great Roy Jones, which he later avenged.
But, for over twenty years Bernard Hopkins has rarely lost a bout and even the few he has were very close such as his decision loss to Joe Calzaghe. Hopkins was great at setting traps inside the ring for his opponents and even better at getting inside their head at pre-fight press conferences and of course, the weigh in. Bernard Hopkins has been involved in skirmishes before his boxing matches with Felix Trinidad, Winky Wright and Jean Pascal just to name a few. He is old school to say the very least.
Bernard Hopkins vs. Felix Trinidad
Who is The Oldest?
view quiz statistics
Final Thoughts on The Executioner
Bernard Hopkins is a true old school fighter who accomplished more than most boxers ever will. His determination, conditioning, heart, chin and counter punching are outstanding and his defense is hard to penetrate. He defended the Middleweight Crown twenty times, which is a record.
Bernard also won the Light Heavyweight Title twice. This was the second time for him to become the oldest Champion in boxing history. Bernard Hopkins beat them all including: Roy Jones, Felix Trinidad, Oscar De La Hoya, Kelly Pavlic, Antonio Tarver, Jean Pascal and Antwone Echols.
This boxer has defied the odds many times and continues to do so. Even his losses were very close and a few were disputed. He is like fine wine and gets better with age. He lives right and does not smoke, drink or do any drugs and he eats healthy foods. This probably contributes to his longevity. There are not many boxers in history who possess the dedication of a work horse like Hopkins who always trains with a big chip on his shoulder. This hard work has gotten him where he is today and of course, he always showed major heart and determination.
Birthplace of Bernard Hopkins
Who is The Best?
Who is The Best Middleweight Boxer?
B-Hop's Top Accomplishments
20 Middleweight Title Defenses
Unified All 4 Titles at Middleweight
Three Time Light Heavyweight Champion
Oldest Boxer to Defend a Title
Oldest Champion in Boxing History
Wins over 15 Former or current Champions
© 2012 Buster Johnson