Prizefighter Tribute: Evander Holyfield
The Real Deal
4 Time Heavyweight Champion of The World
Evander Holyfield was born in Alabama but was raised in Atlanta, Georgia. He won the Bronze Medal at the 1984 Olympic Games and then the undisputed Cruiserweight Championship beating among others Dwight Muhammad Qawi (twice). The Real Deal won the heavyweight crown four times beating Buster Douglas, Riddick Bowe, Mike Tyson and John Ruiz for his heavyweight laurels. The most special thing about Holyfield was his heart. I'll never forget during the first Riddick Bowe when Larry Merchant said that if Holyfield weighed 205 then his heart must weigh 204. He never ducked anyone and if you tagged him he had to get back instantly. His chin, heart, counter punching and will makes him a top 5 heavyweight of all time in my book. When Holyfield was hurt or losing that meant you were in trouble in his prime. He was being beat up by Riddick Bowe in his first meeting when he floored Big Daddy with a monstrous left hook. Also, Ray Mercer and Bert Cooper were pounding on the Real Deal and out of nowhere Holyfield floors Mercer and knocks out Smokin Bert Cooper.
Holyfield never ducked any opponent and he always gave his all in the squared circle. It was only his 11th bout when he neat Hall of Fame champion Dwight Qawi in the last great 15 round fight ever contested and the ebb and flow was very dramatic from start to finish. Holyfield performed even better in rematches during his career. A rematch with Qawi ended with a 4th round knockout victory for the Georgia fighter. Holyfield lost his titles to Riddick Bowe and Michael Moorer and then avenged both defeats to regain the heavyweight laurels. Mr. Holyfield rarely had a dull fight and he could fight inside or he could use his footwork to get the job done. A warrior who took on every challenge and he fought all the best of his era.
Final Thoughts on The Real Deal
Evander Holyfield in my opinion is a top five heavyweight easily based on accomplishments and length of time at the top or near the top. He never ducked any challenge and in his prime was very hard to beat. Holyfield proved many times that he had a steel chin and a heart as big as you will ever see. He was a pure gentleman outside the squared circle and the ultimate warrior inside of the ring. Many people tend to forget that he was robbed in the Olympics of probable Gold and that he is without a doubt the top Cruiserweight boxer in the history of the sport. The reason is because he achieved so much in his heavyweight career of more than twenty years. Whether you think Holy is an all time great one thing is for sure. His heart is huge and he took on all comers. Those two traits plus his skills and determination helped to take him to the top. Holyfield was a fan favorite because he gave 100% in that ring no matter what.
Evander Holyfield Books
- Death in the Ring: Remembering Boxer Jimmy Garcia
This article discusses the night Jimmy Garcia boxed Gabriel Ruelas. Garcia lost his life 13 days after his 1995 bout with Ruelas. Pictures, videos, commentary and a poll are featured in this hub.
- Boxing's Best Middleweights in History
This article is about the top middleweight fighters in boxing history. Marvin HAGLER, Sugar Ray Robinson, Harry Greb and Bernard Hopkins are listed in this hub. Pictures, polls, you tube videos, maps and commentary are also featured in this hub on pr
- Boxing's Best Jabs of All Time
This article is about the boxers with the best jabs in boxing history. Pictures, you tube videos, polls, maps and commentary are highlighted in this hub. Larry Holmes, Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson and Joe Louis are featured in this prize fighting
- 25 Records in Boxing
This article is about records and facts to do with the sport of boxing. The Oldest and Youngest Champions are featured here as well as the longest reigning champions. You tube videos, pictures, polls, maps and commentary are also listed in this fact
- Best Boxing Press Conferences
This article is about the best press conferences in boxing history. Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, Riddick Bowe and Ricardo Mayorga are documented in this prizefighting hub. Polls, you tube videos, pictures, commentary and a quiz and map are
- The Rules That Govern Boxing
This article documents the rules for the sport of boxing. The standing 8 count, rabbit punches and the 10 point must system are featured in this hub. You tube videos, polls, maps, pictures and commentary are listed here as well.
Birthplace of The Real Deal
Who is The Best?
Who is The Best Cruiserweight Boxer Ever?
Top 5 Evander Holyfield Victories
1. Holyfield T.K.0.11 Mike Tyson: Everyone thought Holyfield was shot. Well, everyone was wrong! Holyfield knocked Tyson down once and then had him out on his feet for the T.K.O. victory in the 11th round.
2. Holyfield Won in 12 Riddick Bowe: Holyfield lost the first fight but he regrouped and got revenge. The bout was close the entire time but the Real Deal edged him out in a bout known for the Fan Man who glided into the ring and interfered with the action. .
3. Holyfield Won in 15 Dwight Muhammad Qwai: Holyfield wins the Cruiserweight title in just his 12th Professional bout. This was the last 15 round decision rendered and it happened in 1986 as all sanctioning bodies were converting over to x12 round title bouts.
4. Holyfield Won in 12 George Foreman: Foreman pounded on Holyfield but Holyfield out fought Big George overall. Round seven was named as round of the year. It was a back and forth affair and even though Holyfield clearly won he still had to survive some heavy leather to do so.
5. Holyfield K.O. 10 Michael Dokes: Dokes and Holyfield fought on near even terms until Evander stepped on the gas and knocked out Dokes in devastating fashion. Holyfield and Dynamite Dokes began trading but Holyfield landed a left hook and a lethal uppercut to put Dokes on his heels. The Real Deal rushed at him and landed a huge right hand and as Dokes crumbled the ref stopped it.
Evander Holyfield vs. Ray Mercer
The Real Deal's Victims
Carlos De Leon
Evander Holyfield Tribute
Where on Earth?
view quiz statistics
Evander Holyfield Highlights
© 2012 Buster Johnson