Prizefighter Tribute: Floyd Mayweather, Jr.
Pretty Boy Floyd
Floyd Mayweather, Jr. was born in Michigan in 1977 and he came from a boxing family. He won a Bronze Medal in the 1996 Olympic games in Atlanta, Georgia. By 1998 he was fighting and winning the Jr. Lightweight Championship from the late Genaro Hernandez. Pretty Boy Floyd defended his title 8 times before moving to the lightweight division. He beat the Lightweight champion Jose Luis Castillo in a close fight for the crown. In a rematch Floyd dominated Castillo before moving up to win a title at Jr. Welterweight and beating Arturo Gatti to a 6th round T.K.O. Mayweather also won Championships in the Welterweight and jr. middleweight divisions. Among his victims were: Miguel Cotto, Oscar De La Hoya, Ricky Hatton, Jose Castillo, Genaro Hernandez and Phillip Ndou. Floyd who used to be called Pretty Boy is one of the slickest boxers in the fight game's storied history. Mayweather talks the talk but honestly like Muhammad Ali before him, he walks the walk as well. He always outlands his opponents and his opponents only land in low percentages when swinging at this defensive wizard. He is undefeated and one of the best of his era but he needs to fight and beat either Manny Pacquiao or Sergio Martinez if he wants to be recognized as the best since the retirement of Sugar Ray Leonard. To me he is like a Pernell Whitaker with an offense and he still has a few more good fights in him.Say what you will but he fought everyone and when it was a close disputed win(fight one with Jose Luis Castillo)Mayweather rematched(Castillo 2) and dominated to win a lopsided decision. His father taught him defense while his uncle Roger, The Black Mamba taught him his offensive techniques. Money Mayweather is known to train three times a day and run seven and eight miles per day. He is a great athlete who keeps the slogan, Hard Work and Determination. He is a master boxer without a doubt. He always comes prepared for his bouts and he never slacks off in training.
Love him or hate him you have got to respect his boxing talent and he has beaten the best of his era. Mayweather uses accurate counter punching, speed and an amazing defense to win his bouts.
Money Mayweather's Top 5 Victories
It's honestly hard to pinpoint Mayweather's top wins since he has won so many major bouts during his tremendous career. Below are my top picks. These picks can change in the near future as Mayweather continues to box and add to his already magnificent resume.
1. Mayweather T.K.O. 10 Diego Corrales: Mayweather knocked the undefeated champion down five times in order to snag this victory. Floyd made it look easy as he won every round with speed, reflexes and beautiful combination punching. Mayweather barely got hit and rarely missed. What a performace from the defensive wizard. Many experts consider this bout Mayweather's coming out party because he made a champion look foolish inside the squared circle.
2. Mayweather W12 Miguel Cotto: Mayweather won a clear twelve round decision. Some of the rounds were close and competitive but make no mistake Mayweather was in absolute control. In the final heat Mayweather buckled Cotto with a beautiful left uppercut to put the finishing touches on a great victory. Cotto was at his best and he looked good but he could not let anything in combination.
3. Mayweather T.K.O. 8 Genaro Hernandez: Mayweather dominated Hernandez in every round for his first world championship. He controlled the action with great footwork and pin point punching accuracy. His footwork, jab and counter punching was wonderful on this night. Hernandez fought his heart out but it just was not enough.
4. Mayweather W12 Oscar De La Hoya: Money Mayweather beat De La Hoya in the richest pay per view in boxing history. It was a close match with Mayweather pulling it out in the final rounds by landing lead left hooks and lead right hands. It was close early on as De La Hoya found a home for his long stick and used it effectively.
5. Mayweather T.K.O. 10 Ricky Hatton: Mayweather was the first to defeat the Hitman. Once again Mayweather was a defensive, counter punching machine. Hatton tried mauling and rough housing tactics but Mayweather simply used skills to beat Hatton. In the tenth Hatton went down twice the first time from a beautiful check hook.
Floyd Mayweather Knocks Out Chico Corrales
Where Was He Born?
view quiz statistics
Who Is Better?
Would Floyd Mayweather beat Manny Pacquiao?
Floyd Mayweather DVD Fights
The World of Boxing
- Boxing's Worst Decisions of All Time
This article focuses on the worst judging seen in the squared circle. Tommy Hearns vs. Sugar Ray Leonard and Evander Holyfield vs. Lennox Lewis are chronicled in this boxing hub. Also, You tube video clips, maps, polls and commentary are featured in
- Complete Boxing Gym Workout
This article describes a total boxing gym workout. Stretching, speed bags, heavy bags and jump ropes are detailed in this exercise hub along with pictures, videos and commentary.
- Boxing's Best Welterweights of All Time
This article is about the top welterweight fighters in boxing history.Sugar Ray Leonard, Sugar Ray Robinson, Felix Trinidad and Henry Armstrong are featured in this blog. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are also listed in this h
- Prizefighter Tribute: Evander Holyfield
This article documents the great boxer, Evander" The Real Deal" Holyfield. Holyfield is the former Cruiserweight and four Time Heavyweight Champion of the World. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary are also featured in this pug
- Prizefighter Tribute: Bernard Hopkins
This article is about Middleweight and light heavyweight ring legend, Bernard Hopkins. The Executioner made twenty defenses of the 160 pound crown and also won the light heavyweight crown his second time at 46 becoming the oldest champion in boxing h
- Prizefighter Tribute: Mike Tyson
This hub describes Mike Tyson's life in and out of the ring. He was the youngest Heavyweight Champion in boxing history and has fought some of the best during his two title reigns including Lennox Lewis, Evander Holyfield, Michael Spinks and Larry Ho
Floyd Mayweather Playing with a Jump Rope
Floyd Mayweather's Greatest Hits
Birthplace of Floyd Mayweather
Mayweather's Report Card
This is a report card grading Floyd Mayweather, Jr. In seven categories using the letter grade system.
Speed: A+ One of Mayweather
Quality of Opposition: A+
Counter Punching: A
Money Mayweather Interview 2013
© 2012 Buster Johnson