- Sports and Recreation
How to Catch Big Catfish - Best Rigs
Monster CatfishClick thumbnail to view full-size
The Slip Rig or the Carolina Rig
Your rigging is very important when you are catfishing, a knot tied wrong or a frayed leader could be the difference between a record fish in the net and another "the one that got away" story. Monster catfish will put you and all your equipment to the test!
The rig I use most is the slip sinker rig also known as the Carolina Rig.
To make this rig you will need:
1. Your main reel line, I prefer PowerPro of a fairly high test, usually 80 pound test or bigger
2. A barrel swivel,
3. About 2 - 6’ of leader line, using a test lighter then your main line by 10-20 pounds, that way if you snag you will only lose a few feet of line and your hook, if using live bait 2' is good
4. An egg weight, I use 1-1 1/2 ounce usually,
5. A plastic or glass bead, cushions your weight striking against your knot,
6. A hook, I prefer Gamakatsu circle hooks, make sure your gap is big enough to leave room to hook the fish.
This may seem like a bunch of stuff, but its not really and this is the rig to catch monster catfish with.
1. Take your egg sinker and slide it up your mail reel line.
2. Take your bead and slide it up the line also.
3. Take your main reel line and tie it to one side of your swivel.
The knot I use is the Trilene Knot or the Double Loop Clinch Knot. You can use another knot if you have a favorite. If you don't have a favorite give this one a try.It is called the Trilene Knot because the staff at Berkley Company developed it, they developed it originally specifically to use with their Trilene monofilament. The Trilene Knot retains 95 percent of its strength when tied properly.
How to tie Trilene knot.
Step 1. Insert the line through the hook eye twice leaving a small loop and 4 - 6 inches of tag end line to work with.
Step 2. Next make 6 - 7 wraps around the standing (main line) part of the leader line., then slip the line end through the small loop at the hook eye and then bring it back up through the larger loop also.
Step 3.Pull evenly on the standing line (main line) and the hook or swivel, be careful not to let double line cross back over itself. Watch the hook point also, don't hook your hand.
Overlapping lines will self cut and severly weaken your knots. Trim the tag end and you are set.
4. Now you should have the sinker on your line closest to your reel then the bead and then that line tied to your swivel.
5. Take your leader line and tie it to the other side of the swivel
6. Now tie your hook to the end of the leader line and you are done.
Now, you are ready for bait, after the bait is on Hang On!
I also use bobbers to suspend my baits sometimes- see below
Bobbers to Catch Big Catfish!
Sometimes you want to suspend your bait over snags or float it down the river and this is where you can use bobbers. I often use big bobbers to place a bream out in a lake and catch big catfish. I like to use 3" or 4" bobbers to hang out big baits. There are many times when snags keep breaking off tackle and a float is just an easy way to save tackle and fish that same spot. On a breezy day you can put on a bobber and let the wind carry it across the lake just like drift fishing without the boat.
Good Luck and Squealin' Reels,
How to Join the Gone Fishin Club!
By joining Gone Fishin Club you become eligible to win a trip to Santee to chase Monsters Cats with Gary and the crew.
We also have drawings for other trips, magazine subscriptions, club logo hats and shirts.
So what are you waiting for, JOIN NOW! Did I mention it was FREE!
here is the link...................... JOIN GONE FISHIN CLUB
How To Catch Big Catfish Part 1
- How To Catch Big Catfish Part 1
My name is Gary Turner and I love to fish. I don't make my living fishing, I'm living to Fish. This hubpage is about catching big catfish. I love catfishing and going after the monster cats. ...
How To Catch Big Catfish Part 2
- How To Catch Big Catfish Part 2
What Kind Of Tackle Do I Need To Land A Monster Catfish? There is some debate over how light or how heavy to go with tackle when you are in pursuit of monster world class trophy catfish. I don't know about you, but I hate loosing big fish...
How To Catch Big Catfish Part 3
- How To Catch Big Catfish Part 3
What Kind of Rod Will I Need to Catch Monster Catfish? This is a list of Rods that work well for landing big catfish. Let's just run through a little rod background before we get into the list of great possible catfish rods...
Looking for great deals on Catfishing Tackle.
If you are looking for a deal on Catfishing equipment and tackle look at Bottom Dwellers Tackle , they stock several brands including Shimano and Abu.